• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My Thoughts on the new Starter Set

Wraithdrit

First Post
Got my hands on it yesterday early, so I've had a while to flip through it. Thought I would hold off posting here to not ruin anyone else's joy/surprise/horror as they flip through it.

I love it. But then I've been pretty positive about this edition when I started playing it (post final playtest).

Here are my current thoughts or things of note:

• Spell Damage has increased (base for fireballs is 8d6, inflict wounds is 3d10, etc).
  • Inspiration Points are not in the starter set as a rule. I understand from the Wizards play through what they are, but I would have liked new players to see that RP matters.
  • I don't think it too spoilery to say there are definitely some encounters that are just not balanced (purposely so). I love any game that is not always balanced. Life isn't fair, why should DnD be fair? Heh.

I'll come back with specifics if needed or anything else comes up.

- Wraith

Agamon

Adventurer
I don't think it too spoilery to say there are definitely some encounters that are just not balanced (purposely so). I love any game that is not always balanced. Life isn't fair, why should DnD be fair? Heh.

But, but...oh noes, balance!!!! I hold my players hands when they cross the street and wipe their noses and butts. How are they ever going to handle such a thing? :D

evileeyore

Mrrrph
But, but...oh noes, balance!!!! I hold my players hands when they cross the street and wipe their noses and butts. How are they ever going to handle such a thing? :D
That's not balanced that's coddling.

Remember as the great and wise Lucas taught us: In order for balance all the Jedi must die.

Also there are no bras in space!

Blackbrrd

First Post
  • I don't think it too spoilery to say there are definitely some encounters that are just not balanced (purposely so). I love any game that is not always balanced. Life isn't fair, why should DnD be fair? Heh.
I love creating unbalanced encounters. It makes the players think outside the box. If they don't their characters is at real risk of dying. Examples:
a) Encounter with two types of undead + kobolds. EL 4+ party level. Result: they talked the guardian undead into stopping to attack (they were releated to one of the players)
b) Encounter with a big camp of mercenaries EL6+ party level. The party scouted the camp, got discovered, used some good bluffs/diplomacy to get out of there
c) A fight was going really badly (for both sides), they talked a mercenary into switching sides

I only get outcomes like that when I just do my own :):):):). I think I need to do more of it. :angel:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads