My Turn (Nugan's Rant)

Nugan

First Post
Warning: You won't find much constructive criticism below. This isn't another guide, so you should probably just go back to ISRP general before you waste five minutes of your life reading my pet peeves. Come on, its not worth it...

Anyway, for those of you with as much time to waste as me: I didn't get much sleep last night, and the chat server are down, so I'm somewhat in the mood for "ranting".

Here are some of my ISRP pet peeves:

I'm not my character, and my character is not me:
Yes, Nugan the character is a jerk. I won't deny it. That said, he is a character, he is not me. I try to be as polite as possible to other players OOC, and I don't see why people make the assumition that me and my character are one and the same ( Of course we sorta are, but not in personality). No one sees Straak and assumes I'm a Kobold kitchen slave. No one sees Bandit and assumes I'm someone's weasel familar. No one sees A Chipmunk and assumes I'm, well a chipmunk. Why should Nugan be any different? I'll admit that this problem has all but disappeared now that I've been around for a little while, but I'm sure others are going through it now. Just keep this in mind next time you think about judging a player by their character.

I wonder why people always abuse the "wonder why":
How many times have you seen this? Someone criticizes some one else's mistake, but don't worry: They did it as an emote, so its ok. I'm not talking about one character making fun of another, that would be flat out hipocrisy. I'm talking about an obvious OOC attack "hidden" as a "wonders why". You know what I mean: CharX wonders why CharY is such an idiot. Maybe not that severe, but it must hurt the other player none-the-less. If someone makes a "mistake" that bothers you, don't attack their Role-Playing skills right on the main chat board like that. Instead you could simple ignore them (w/o waving the Igy stick) or better yet: You could talk to them nicely (!) and try to help them out.

Clique Wars:
The ISRP is full of cliques, but I'm not here to complain about that. The world is full of cliques, and there's not much you can do about it. I just wish the different cliques could get along instead of constantly being at war with each other. Group A hates Group B because PlayerX from Group B did something to offend PlayerY in Group B. I've been involved in one nasty OOC "clique war" and I never want to go back there. That's why I stayed nuetral and tried to patch things up when a friend of mine had problems with some members with another group. At the heart of these things there's always some hidden misunderstanding or offense that got out of hand. If these cliques would open up communication with each other and throw away their difficulties maybe we could disspell some of the deep pessimism that seems so prevelant around here. But I'm rambling...

There is no "WizO Cabal":
Well, maybe there is a WizO_Cabal, I haven't been everywhere on this site, but that's not what I meant. What I'm reffering to is the idea that the WizOs are the Wizards Chat version of The X-File's "Secret Government". You know, a bunch of old men in a cigar-smoke filled room trying to pursue their own interests at whatever cost to the site. That's simply not the case. There is no WizO favoritism or alternative WizO motives. The WizOs are around because they happened to get a job as chat moderators for the site and they don't mind working for next to nothing (used to be nothing). They do not target certain people for destruction, nor do they give anyone "special pardons" to certain people. Yes, some people get away with violating the CoC and some people get hit on their first offense. The reason for that has nothing to do with favoritism though: People are often just too lazy to appoint offenders. That's it, there's nothing more to it. Oh and the same points go for those people who think the Adepts are some sort of "Minor WizO" with special influences or whatever. They just happen to be members of a Moderator run storyline.

Well, there goes a half hour of my life and five or ten minutes of yours. Please don't hate me for it. :)

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Hmm, point by point.

The IC/OOC Issue
Definately, couldn't agree more. Just about a month ago there was an incident where a player thought that I was angry OOC with them over an IC action. I had gone AFK, and had announced it as such, and when I returned, I found a message on my screen telling me to jump off a cliff. So I scrolled up, and what do I see? Messages from the same person essentailly complaining about me being angry with them OOC for an IC situation, and then one where this player got angry about thinking that I was angry, and lastly, the one telling me to jump off a cliff. I had a good laugh about that, because it just shows how quick some people are to assume things about other players. I've never been angry with someone over an IC action, and for someone to assume that because my character went off on a 20 minute outburst in the tavern that I hate them is completely rediculous. Of course, that was a very angry outburst, and it did get to me, but everyone gets close to their main character and gets attached to them to the point where they become a part of you, it's only natural.

Abusing the "Wonder why"
Absolutely right. Some of the things I've seen with this one weren't even well disguised as IC actions and were blatant beyond reason. I've seen a certain player do this, and not even attempt to hide it since it was an attack on spelling. These things are completely uncalled for and have no place being used in my opinion. It's excessive to make these comments and it only makes the commentor look silly in the long run.

Clique Wars
I know the issue that you were involved in here, and I am the friend you speak of. I agree completely, talking out these issues is the way to go. Clear the air, empty out those backed up deposits of anger in a constructive way. Don't let it fester and rot until you have a full scale conflict on you hands. Letting that happen only makes things worse when you do decide to let it all loose and misphrase something.... *whistles and moves on to the next topic....*

There is no WizO Cabal
Of course not. The reasons that the belief of this one even started is all pure coincidence really. As far as those who get caught on CoC infractions, the ones that get caught are those who get seen. The ones who get caught on their first mistake get caught because they're on when the WizOs are, and the ones that manage to evade being caught do so because they're not around while WizOs are, and those who witness them don't send the reports out. It's rediculous to base a full opinion on the WizOs just because of the coincidal timing issues.
As for the Adepts, you're completely right here as well, just other players that are part of an official, WizO operated IC group. They're no different than anyone else, and there's no reason to treat them as such.

(( Edit: Lousy typos.... ))

W

WizO_Bailey

Just to add my little comment about the Adepts... if you see an Adept doing something you think they shouldn't be (trying to enforce rules for example), don't hesitate to email me about it. I (and Adele) tolerate no misbehaviour in the Adepts and if any of them ever do act above their station, their name is swiftly taken away from them.

And to further add to it, anyone can plan an Adept, so long as you understand the rules and aren't a trouble maker on site. ;)

F

Fenmarel

hmm if this is a long rant I could read more of them....and I think rant was actually a strong word for this one. ;)

I can't count how many times someone has thought I was mad over something another character has done to mine. I don't get mad over IC stuff UNLESS it is a "friend" that takes the friendship meaning they can do what ever they wish to my character and I will sit back and just let it happen. Now if you put a couple of my main characters together you do have me in a nut shell. I took certain aspects of my personality and put into the characters. Now that doesn't mean, like you mentioned before Nugan, that I am Fenmarel and Fenmarel is me. Granted a BIG part of him is me but only one person knows which part and I am keeping it that way for personal reasons.

Yes the "wondering why" thing is abused way too much in the ISRP area. I think that doing that is very rude, spiteful and a few other things that decency forbids me from mentioning here. Now that I think about it if I see someone abusing that from now on not only will I put that character on ignore, I will also send out an email to the moderators noting all the necessary information, this will include anyone no matter how closely my characters might be tied with theirs or their storylines. The reason I will be doing this is that just because someone happens to be a fair rper doesn't give them the right to be an....*stops his fingers*....umm doesn't give them the right to be a spiteful, mean person.

Yes there is a problem with the clique wars. Alot of us have been dragged into them unknowingly. I try not to associate with just one group of people but that is hard when IMO the ones that I associate with are some of the best on the site. I do try to interact with other characters but keep in mind that most of my characters won't just up and talk to anyone unless they have a reason to trust them in some way, such as a trusted friend introducing them to him/her(yes I do have a couple of female chars out there).

As far as the last bit......Wizos are human, sometimes they make mistakes after many successes. We can't keep looking to the past and keep thinking everything is the way it was or has been.

Jason

R

Rhane Arturant

Nugan said:

I'm not my character, and my character is not me:
Yes, Nugan the character is a jerk. I won't deny it. That said, he is a character, he is not me. I try to be as polite as possible to other players OOC, and I don't see why people make the assumition that me and my character are one and the same ( Of course we sorta are, but not in personality). No one sees Straak and assumes I'm a Kobold kitchen slave. No one sees Bandit and assumes I'm someone's weasel familar. No one sees A Chipmunk and assumes I'm, well a chipmunk. Why should Nugan be any different? I'll admit that this problem has all but disappeared now that I've been around for a little while, but I'm sure others are going through it now. Just keep this in mind next time you think about judging a player by their character.

Thank you!!

Several months ago I got HELL from certain players because apparently of course, I am Rhane. Mmhmm, sure. Yes, parts of my personality are laced in with hers but she's still a completely different 'person' to me. And isn't that what role playing is? Playing a role? Pretending to be someone other than yourself? So after a few In Character mistakes and events in different storylines, I get emailed and ranted at about how I am being well.. a "bad person?" out of character!

Personally, I think this is an unfair judgement on players by those that don't even know them. I mean, really... Someone even screamed at me once because one of my characters is not a cat lover and asked me why I hated cats. Where as OOC, I take the nickname "Jessicat" and am.. really quite obsessed with the creatures...

This is just one little thing that really, REALLY bugs me. Also when people get all "Elitist" and tell me who I can and can not role play with. *Sigh*

It is these little things that make role playing an unpleasant experience for everyone... Bah.

-Jess

Remove ads