• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My two bits and a buck-and-a-half on EN World.

Okay. I'm gonna chime in with my own two cents. Consider this a big deal, because I consider myself a professional lurker, and tend not to speak up in these forums because everyone does enough talking for me, so any effort for me to actually say anything seems gratuitous.

I like this site. The sense of community is strong here at EN World. Folks generally get along well here, as opposed to the raging flame wars over on the Wizard's message boards. I like their site very much, but I get mildly irritated due to all the flamage. I rarely experience that sensation here. That's priceless.

Speaking as someone ON A VERY FIXED INCOME, some kind of monthly fee would screw me up big-time. However, if the situation is as serious as this, I think even I (Scrooge that I am) would make a donation to EN World. If it became mandatory, it'd probably repell me, and I'd be too lazy to keep up on payments, and then I'd be trolling on the Wizard's boards. I really don't wanna face that reality.

Look, Morrus....if the situation is truly that dire ($650 a month?! can you say "OUCH"?), I'll at least consider ponying up a few bucks. I'd pay (at least temporarily) to ensure that this kinda quality continues to exist.

Incidentally, how deep in the financial hole, are ya? The sheer size of EN World sounds like it can be daunting to the humble of pocket. Should we consider this an emergency situation?

I just put an ad here a couple days ago, looking for new gamers in Massachusetts. Perfect timing, right? Argh..(bangs head against wall). Well, if anyone's listening, and I know you are, I'm part of a small group of twenty and thirty somethings that play D&D. I DM and I need some new players. I know this ain't the place to mention this, but what the hell, right? Most of my message was legitimately on topic anyway.

Alright, I'll go back to lurking for a little while...and thank you for listening (or reading, whatever). Have a nice day. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks, Troll's Choice. That means a lot to me. :)

I promise you that there will never be a mandatory payment to use the site. It goes against the very core of what this site is, what I hope for it and what I feel to be right.

Troll's Choice said:

Look, Morrus....if the situation is truly that dire ($650 a month?! can you say "OUCH"?), I'll at least consider ponying up a few bucks. I'd pay (at least temporarily) to ensure that this kinda quality continues to exist.

Incidentally, how deep in the financial hole, are ya? The sheer size of EN World sounds like it can be daunting to the humble of pocket. Should we consider this an emergency situation?

Not at all. The status quo can be maintained - I can afford the servers I have now. The boards are only down at certain times, and we have a back-up forum, so there's no emergency.

What we're essentially talking about is an upgrade to make things work better. Right now they work - just not very well. But I don't want anyone to think that it's a "EN World is about to disappear" type situation! :)

It's a relief to hear that, Morrus. I was getting a bit worried. :eek: This is actually my favoriate site. If you guys went down, I dunno what I'd do! :confused: If there's anything I or the rest of the EN World "family" can do to help, please let us know!

Thank you, Mark. I need players for Wednesday nights. I have two players now, though I'd probably have a third playing by remote (communication by webcam). I'll have to try to contact some of the people on these boards. Hopefully, we can work something out...:D

P.S. Did I mention I have a buncha Mater Maze sets? That really enhances the gaming experience! :D

Remove ads