• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Uonofficial Elemental Power Source

andarilhor

First Post
My Unofficial Elemental Power Source

During de Dawn War not every mortal fought besides the gods. Some mortals believed the elementals as the foundation of the universe, and the primordial as the embodiement of this fundamental power. After the Dawn War some mortals started cults on the primordial behalf and orders which tried to tame the chaotic power of the elements. Some believed the gods has tricked the mortals, negating then the true raw power of the primordials, other wanted to awaken the elemental power inside thenselves, and there was the ones who wanted to dive into the chaos and became the power instead of only having the power.
Besides heroes of other power sources can use the power of the elements, this power is diminished or wwarped by the other power sources. Elemental characeters unleash the untamed power of the elemental chaos, sometimes in a unpredictable way.
During ages they hide thenselves on ancient monasteries, in the shadows, in secret temples. Now, with the end of last great empire, and civilization reduced to some few points of light, the world need despairingly of heroes, even the forsaken heroes of the forbidden paths of the elemental classes.

Game Design Concepts:

- Elemental classes deal with a untamed and sometimes uncontrollable power. To represent that most of their power will have a "critical" and "miss" line.
- "Critical" effects will represent a stronger discharge of elemental energy, hightening effects, but many times will bring a cost. A kind of mixed blessing feel.
- "Miss" effects will have negative effects on the character. Puting it on a condition or making it take damage. Daily power will be the ones of lesser negative conditions if all.
- All Elemental classes will have some kind of "elemental attunement", representing a conection with a determined element over others, giving some bonuses or penalties.
- The elemental powers will be called "manifestations" as the release of something locked on the world by the gods and the primal spirits.

Guardian
Elemental Defender

Design Concepts:
- Ancient monastic orders which dedicates themselves to awaken and control the elemental power in their own bodies.
- Will channel elemental energy of his own body through will. (wis primary, Con and Dex secondary, maybe a future build will use strength)
- Striker as a Secondary Role
- Will have a "elemental weapon" which will channel their powers
- Each build will attune to two elements, represented by damage types
- The image of a guardian will be a warrior with mystical tatoos in each arm (representing the elements of his guardian tradition) wielding a weapon of pure elemental energy (a blade of frost wind, a hammer of stone)
- Will use ki focus as a implement, and his powers will be implement powers instead of weapon powers. Most of his powers will target Ref or Fort, the few to target AC will be stronger to compesate the lack of a proficiency bonus.
- Daily powers will grant special abilities to elemental weapon during the encounter

Heretic
Elemental Leader

Design Concepts:
- Vessels of the elemental powers. Believers in ways on disagreement with the gods. Some cults believe in a active opposition at the gods, others in a awakening of the elemental power within the mortals.
- Will carry the elemental power within thenselves (Con primary), channeling through their believes or meditations (Wis and Cha as secondary)
- One build with defender (becomer heretic) as secondary, other build with striker (awakener heretic) secondary.
- Will attune to the four basic elements, one each round, gaining and granting allies bonus and penalties.
- Daily powers will allow attunement with more complex elements. Something based on the paraelemental and quasielemental of older D&D editions

Elementalist (possible name change)
Elemental Controller

- Will be a lot more of a uncontroller than a controller.
- Will channel the elemental energy through his very soul (Cha primary). Not sure about secondary abilities yet.
- Striker as a secondary role.
- His powers will focus in changing the battlefield, instead of giving debuffs
- Three possible builds: Havoc Elementalist (focused in area and zone powers), Summonner Elementalist (conjuration and summonning powers), and Blaster Elementalist (focused in ranged and close powers)
- Elemental Attunement each short or extended rest. Powers with the same damage type will be strongers. Possibly higher chance for critical?

Erupter
Elemental Striker
- He will perceive the fundamental "blocks" inside of everything and will have the power to "erupts" this block in pure energy.
- The striker ability will be similar to the assassin's shroud, but will raise the chance to get a critical against the target.
- Primary ability: Int, secondary ability and builds will be Wis (higher perception and concentration to perceive the fundamental blocks; controller secondary role) and Str (brute force in powers; pure striker role).
- I am thinking to make this the only class with one element only, chosen at 1st level, but not sure about that yet.
- Slightly based in a certain alchemist of white gloves :)

Until now I already have some material to the guardian and the heretic, the elemetalist and the striker are still in a starting development. Any ideas? I promise to post the material as it will develops.

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my natal language.

Last edited:

ninefold_one

First Post
The classes are pretty nice actually. Though I believe you do not need to create a new power source. Primal is a power source that is basically the foundation of elemental power.

My own campaign has a very elemental feel to it based on the Book of Five Rings elements -- Fire, Earth, Water, Wind, Void. In 3.5 I went through the trouble of creating an elemental sorcerer who specialized in the above abilities. I felt I had to back down from transferring it to 4E however as I would have to come up with 29 levels of powers. A daunting task to say the least.

Anyways, I like what you've done so far. I see you have not found a name for your striker. How about "Alchemist"? I know this is "inspired" by Fullmetal Alchemist, but the alchemists in that manga ARE strikers who wield the various elements.

tyrlaan

Explorer
I understand this is vastly different than the framework you have above, but I think a really cool way to do the elemental power source would start by taking a queue from the Essentials methodology...

Have 4 base classes - one for each element. Each base class could then have sub classes as makes sense. Perhaps the earth class could have a subclass that's a defender and another that's a striker. I could see water having a leader and a controller. And so on.

If you want to play someone that uses more than one element you can take advantage of multiclass feats or hybrid rules.

andarilhor

First Post
Ninefold_one: As I tried to explain above (I not certain if with success), in my idea when a invoker uses a fire prayer, he is calling for the flames of heaven or hell, when a druid uses a fire evocation, he is talking to the fire spirits, when a wizard uses a fire spell, he is manipulating arcane energies in form of fire... when a elementalist uses a fire manifestation, he is unleashing the primordial fire into reality, a ancient fire uncontrollable even for the elementalist. That's the difference of the power source. :)

And I took the same idea source for my elemental striker, but decide to call him "erupter" as he makes the elements erupts from his targets (and places). :)

tyrlaan: I started with this very idea! Earth for defender, Water for leader, air for controller and fire for striker. Bur found it too limitating and not cool concept in practice. The classes will have combinations of elements at their disposal and will may aquire other combinations through feats, paragon paths and certain powers (dailies mainly).

Thanks for the comments. I will post the guardian and the heretic 1st level this week tops!

andarilhor

First Post
Added some changes to the original post:

Erupter
Elemental Striker
- He will perceive the fundamental "blocks" inside of everything and will have the power to "erupts" this block in pure energy.
- The striker ability will be similar to the assassin's shroud, but will raise the chance to get a critical against the target.
- Primary ability: Int, secondary ability and builds will be Wis (higher perception and concentration to perceive the fundamental blocks; controller secondary role) and Str (brute force in powers; pure striker role).
- I am thinking to make this the only class with one element only, chosen at 1st level, but not sure about that yet.
- Slightly based in a certain alchemist of white gloves :)

andarilhor

First Post
THE GUARDIAN
"I guard the power locked up by the gods on the dawn war inside myself, but will unleash it on you if you defy me."

CLASS TRAITS
Role:
Defender. You endures ancient powers to protect your allies and destroy your enemies. You lend towards a striker as a secondary role.
Power Source:
Elemental. You channel the power of the primordial elements in a weapon which is part of yourself.
Key Abilities:
Wisdom, Constitution, Dextery

Armor Proficiences:
Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale; light shields, heavy shields
Weapon Proficiencies:
simple melee, simple ranged
Implements:
Ki focuses, weapons with which you have proficiency
Bonus to Defense:
+1 Fort, +1 Ref

Hit Points at 1st Level:
15+Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained:
Healing Surges per Day:
9+Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills:
From the class skills list below, choose 3 trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills:
Athletics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Nature (Wis), Religion (wis)

Build Options:
Volcanic Guardian, Misty Guardian, Tempest Guardian
Class Features:
Elemental Weapon, Elemental Strike, Elemental Inpregnation, Guardian Tradition

Guardian Builds

Volcanic Guardian
Your power comes from a connection with fire and earth primordial elements, the very heart of a volcano. Earth gives you resilience and hardness to overcome most of your enemies attacks, while fire burn your enemies to ashes. Make Wisdom your highest ability score, followed by Constitution, which you give you toughness to takes damage and will help to ignite the fire of you attacks.
Suggested Class Feature: Volcanic Fortress
Suggested Feat:
Elemental Shield
Suggested Skills:
Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal
Suggested At-Wills Powers:
Explosive Strike, Armoring Strike
Suggested Encounter Power:
Hammer Fist
Suggested Daily Power:
Stone Hammer

Misty Guardian
Your power comes from a connection with the water and air primordial elements, the cutting and frosting winds of the icy glaciers. Air confers you movement abilities to yourself and to position your enemies where they will be less effective against your allies, and water gives you the power to penetrate your enemies defenses. Make Wisdom your highest ability score, with Dextery as your second highest, which you allow you better movement and the precision to hit through tinyest opening in your enemies armor, like a drop of water.
Suggested Class Feature: Misty Blade
Suggested Feat:
Suggested Skills:
Athletics, Endurance, Nature
Suggested At-Wills Powers:
Penetrating Drop,
Suggested Encounter Power:
Suggested Daily Power:

-GUARDIAN CLASS FEATURES-

Elemental Weapon
You receive the power Elemental Weapon, though which you can channel your elemental energy on the form of a mystical weapon made of pure elemental energy. A stone hammer, a flaming sword, a icy axe, a acid flail, you decide the kind of weapon when you conjure it and choose the kind of damage between the damage types offered by your guardian tradition. The weapon has no properties of any weapons you choose at its creation, nor you receive any proficiences bonus from it, but the weapon cannot be taken away of you either.

Elemental Strike
You receive the power Elemental Strike, representing your basic training with your elemental weapon.

Elemental Inpregnation
Elemental energy bursts from your body and everytime you hit one enemy with a attack you inpregnates him with this energy. Everytime you hit an enemy with a elemental attack, that enemy is marked by you until the end of your next turn. As that energy originates from you, you keeps a little control over it for a short time, that is demontrated by the powers Elemental Warding and Elemental Thorns.

Guardian Traditions

You can choose one of the option above at the character creation:Volcanic Fortress: When you conjures your elemental weapon, you can choose between force or fire damage. All your elemental attack powers which causes untyped damage causes this type of damage instead. When you gets a critical with your elemental strike causes a additional effect based on the damage type you choose:
Force: The target is knocked prone
Fire:
Misty Blade:[/s] When you conjures your elemental weapon, you can choose between cold or acid damage. All your elemental attack powers which causes untyped damage causes this type of damage instead. When you gets a critical with your elemental strike causes a additional effect based on the damage type you choose:
Acid:
Cold: The target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Guardian Powers

All Guardians has the powers elemental weapon, elemental strike, elemental guard and elemental thorns.

Class Features

Elemental Weapon Guardian CF
At-Will * Conjuration, Elemental
Minor Action Personal

Effect:
You conjure a weapon made of elemental energy, or envelops one weapon you are wielding with elemental energy. Choose one damage type of damage offered by your guardian tradition, all your attack powers with the elemental keyword which causes untyped damage causes that type of damage when you uses your elemental weapon on those attacks.

Elemental Strike Guardian CF
At-Will * Elemental, Implement
Standard Action :melee:
Requirement: You must have your elemental weapon active
Target: one creature
Attack: (Sab)vs Fort
Hit: 1d8+Wis mod damage.
Miss: You takes (your level) damage.
Special: You can use this power instead of one :bmelee:

Elemental Guard Guardian CF
At-Will * Elemental
Immediate Reaction :close:
burst 5
Trigger: One enemy marked by you within 5 squares of you hits an ally with one attack which doesn't includes you as a target.
Effect: Reduces the damage of the triggering attack by your wisdom modifier.

Elemental Thorns Guardian CF
At-Will * Elemental
Immediate Reaction
:close: burst 5
Trigger: One enemy marked by you within 5 squares of you misses an ally with one attack which doesn't includes you as a target.
Target: The marked enemy in the burst
Effect: The targets takes wisdom modifier damage of the same type of your elemental weapon. (If the the elemental weapon doesn't be active, the damage is untyped).

LEVEL 1 AT-WILL MANIFESTATIONS

Explosive Strike Guardian A1
The elemental energy of your strike bursts around your enemy
touch
Attack: Wis vs Ref
Hit: 1d8+Wis mod damage, and one creature at your choice adjacent to the target takes (Con mod) damage.
Critical: you and all creatures adjacents to the target takes (Con mod) damage.
Miss: You takes (Con mod) damage.

Armoring Strike Guardian A1
As you strikes the elemental energy around you hardens protecting you from damage
Standard Action :melee: touch
Attack: Wis vs Fort
Hit: 1d6+Wis mod damage, and you gains resistance 2 to all damage until the end of your next turn.
Critical:
You gains resistance equal to your constitution modifier and are slowed until the end of your next turn.
Miss:
You are slowed until the end of your next turn.

Penetrating Drop Guardian A1
As a single water drop your attack pass through even the lesser crack on your enemy defenses.
standard Action :melee:
touch
Target:
one creature
Attack:
(Wis) vs Ref
Hit:
1d8+Wisdom modifier damage. This attack ignores dextery modifier damage resistance.
Critical:
Lower all resistances the target has by your dextery modifier until the end of your next turn.
Miss:
You take vulnerable 2 to all damage until the start of your next turn.

Attraction Strike Guardian A1
You align your energy with the energy of your enemy, bringing him closer to you.
Target:
one creature
Attack:
(Wis) vs Ref
Hit:
Wisdom modifier + Dextery modifier damage, and you pull the target 2 squares.
Critical:
You pull the target 2 squares and the target cannot shift until the end of your next turn.
Miss:
You are pushed 1 square away from the target.

Hammer Fist Guardian A1
Encounter * Elemental, Implement
Attack:
(Wis) vs AC
Hit:
1d8+Wisdom modifier damage, and you pushes the target a number of squares equal your constitution modifier.
Critical:
After pushing the target, you can shifts a number of squares equal your constitution modifier until one space adjacent to the target. You and the target grants combat advantage until the start of your next turn.
Miss:
You grants combat advantage until the start of your next turn.

Last edited:

andarilhor

First Post
FEATS:

Elemental Shield
Pre-requisites: Guardian, Elemental Weapon class feature
Benefit: When you conjures your elemental weapon, you also conjures a shield made of the same kind of energy of your elemental weapon. The shield gives you a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex and grants a resistance 2 to the damage type of your elemental weapon. Level 11: resistance 5, level 21: resistance 7.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads