• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My warlock wants to stab you in the eye!

Saitou

First Post
Nifft said:
ISTR CustServ ruled that IFotV stacked, so killing two minions got you a +4, not a +3 (as it ought).

However, I can't find the post on the WotC forums, so maybe it was a hallucination, or maybe they're still having technical issues. :\

Cheers, -- N
Not to derail this thread, but why shouldn't it? As written, it seems to trigger with every FotV instance, and there's no funny writing that would suggest otherwise. It turns FotV from circumstancial to actually useful. I don't see a problem with that, Star Pact needs all the help it can get.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Saitou said:
Not to derail this thread, but why shouldn't it? As written, it seems to trigger with every FotV instance, and there's no funny writing that would suggest otherwise. It turns FotV from circumstancial to actually useful. I don't see a problem with that, Star Pact needs all the help it can get.
PHB said:
Benefit: Your Fate of the Void grants an additional +1 bonus to the d20 roll.
My reading is that this benefit is triggered on the roll, not the kill. So you kill one, two, or three cursed targets, get your +1, +2 or +3 bonus for killing them, and then you add the bonus to a roll: at this point the bonus increases by one to +2, +3 or +4.

Cheers, -- N

Blackbrrd

First Post
Let us just assume you get some temporary hp every round, so you can take some heat without dying, and leveraging those temp hp for some action.

You are supposed to be pretty close to your targets to get +1 to hit from prime shot. You then use Hellish rebuke on a cursed target. 2d6+con damage. You move 3+ squares away, get concealment and might try a hide if you feel lucky. Some mob sees you and hits you. Stupid warlock. Hellish rebuked target takes 1d6+con damage extra. 3d6+2xcon and you will probably have some temporary hit points to insulate you from damage most of the time.

shadowguidex

First Post
PHB page 294:

Don't Add Together: If you get temporary hit points from different sources, use the higher value as your temporary hit point total instead of adding the values together.

Seems pretty clear cut to me, never add temporary hit points together. Never. Add. Together. Always take the higher of the two. If you have 4, and gain 4...the higher of 4 or 4 is 4, so you have 4 temporary hit points.

shadowguidex said:
PHB page 294:
If you get temporary hit points from different sources, use the higher value as your temporary hit point total instead of adding the values together.

Seems pretty clear cut to me, never add temporary hit points together. Never. Add. Together. Always take the higher of the two. If you have 4, and gain 4...the higher of 4 or 4 is 4, so you have 4 temporary hit points.

If you *never* add temp hit points together why does it say "from different sources" ?

Jack Colby

First Post
shadowguidex said:
PHB page 294:

Don't Add Together: If you get temporary hit points from different sources, use the higher value as your temporary hit point total instead of adding the values together.

All we need is an exact, clear, inarguable definition of "different sources."

Mort_Q

First Post
My understanding of temporary hitpoints is this:

• You gain X temporary hitpoints.
    • If you currently have more than X temporary hitpoints, nothing happens.
    • Else, you now have X temporary hitpoints.

For whatever that's worth.

Jack Colby said:
All we need is an exact, clear, inarguable definition of "different sources."

Agreed.

Tale

First Post
Space_Pirate_Arrr said:
If you *never* add temp hit points together why does it say "from different sources" ?
To prevent someone coming along saying that a power that gives "2d6+1" temporary hitpoints only gives 2d6, because it won't stack with the 1. Or maybe someone saying it'll only be 1d6, because the 2nd d6 and the +1 wouldn't stack, because only the highest of the three values given by the ability counted.

Because, y'know... rules as written. Never stacking.

Remove ads