• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My Wizard Needs an Assistant! Who could it be?

ECMO3

Hero
The DM has said that I will be acquiring an assistant of some sort and I get a bit of choice, based on backstory, what/who it could be. We're 10th and most of the rest of the party has followers.

Backstory:
My wizard is in his 90s but was 'cursed' into the body of a young boy by a powerful Djinn. In return for 'becoming young again', the Djinn got most of my possessions, including my tower and everything in it. After insulting the Djinn, the fickle Djinn swore to kill my character. I slipped away to my tower, I took whatever I could grab and fled and have been in hiding for over a year. Of the things I left behind, was my faithful servant.

The tower was created by my character's master and my character inherited it (probably in his 50s or 60s). It has many wonderous things - some of which remain locked away until my character gained sufficient power. Sadly my character grew old before he could unlock many of the secrets - hence the need to 'become young' again and continue to research.

The Assistant was created by my Master and is, probably, hundreds of years old. I see us as being loyal to each other with a strong bond of friendship (my character was partly raised by the Assistant). My character wanted to rescue him and couldn't but now, with the help of new allies, he's going to reclaim his tower and rescue his Assistant!

Who is this Assistant?

I thought of, maybe, a homunculus or a pseudo dragon. I'm not sure what he could even do...The DM said, 'it can be anything Huge or smaller'.
My character has crafting in carpentry and jewelry. Maybe he was taught by the assitant?
My character also has expertise in Arcana so a walking library seems redundant.
Maybe it has access to the locked levels?

I just can't think of anything cool. I already have a regular familiar so I'm looking for something with a bit more utility and RP fun.
I vote for an elf of some sort, either an apprentice a bodyguard or perhaps a Roguish character who uses his connections to get rare and illegal magical components.

Remove ads