• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mysterious power IC thread

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
This the the in-character thread for my summer campaign, which has mutated to a longer game through the wonders of Play-By-Post.

Back at Brightstone, Taliz finishes with the guard. He's fairly sure that his training has made a difference, and just hopes that they'll keep their skills sharp after he's gone. The early-warning rounds of horsemen should ensure that some, at least, can ride proficiently.

Aldrik has been keeping busy with his church, both in Brightstone and just below in Dwerivel. There's some pressure -- time passing without major progress -- but he handles it well, at least on the surface.

Taliz and Aldrik manage to keep most of their scheduled meal meetings with each other (interrupted occasionaly when Elkesel asks to talk with Aldrick), but Denelmir meets them less often; he spends more of his time with his kin in Glithimem. Less than a month after he met Aldrik and Taliz, his charming, almost naïve manner has given way to a calmer exterior. He seems to have aged many years in that short span, no doubt a result of the weighty responsibility expected of him in his position as diplomat.

[Note: The thread's title was chosen by selecting random words from Robert Newcomb's novel The Fifth Sorceress. It has no bearing on the actual events, except coincidence.]

Taliz

First Post
What to do . . .

Well Evan is officially onboard. Evan would also appreciate it if Charles could remind us of the hooks we know of at this instant. There's something in the forest, we need to kick the ass of the Cult, there was that silly bauble thing Taliz found and returned, and umm whatever else Evan has forgotten . . . Oh those, Taliz is most interested in rooting out the cult (to which, I believe Aldrik must be the guiding force), but if nothing happens on that, he may become completely board and try to figure out what's going on with the bauble. He would first investigate the lady (jane?) through official channels (which he now has, I guess), then he might try to trace the buyer trail a little farther, and he might even go ask the lady if he can figure out a way to do it nicely or without her realizing (it's been a while since he broke into anything). So that's Taliz's current general reactions based on what Evan remembers, if I am reminded of something critical I might amend that slightly.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Ah yes. Here are the things you've been working on:
  • Crown Prince Frederick's true identity [closed, I think]
  • the comatose Eldest in the depths of Glithimem
  • the dwarven cult Veldwer ('Truthseekers')
  • the Veldwer's supposed sub-cult [irrelevant?]
  • Lady Jane's bauble
  • strange happenings with northern orcs
  • new champion of Heironeous

Taliz said:
[...]He would first investigate the lady (jane?) through official channels (which he now has, I guess), then he might try to trace the buyer trail a little farther, and he might even go ask the lady if he can figure out a way to do it nicely or without her realizing (it's been a while since he broke into anything). So that's Taliz's current general reactions based on what Evan remembers, if I am reminded of something critical I might amend that slightly.

Well, we can work on sidequests without disrupting the normal flow -- it's an advantage of this medium.

Tracking the trail of buyers will be hard, though. The fence skipped town (probably for Telvar, several days' travel to the northwest) and the thugs knew nothing.

Aldrik

First Post
The Aldrik is in

Okay, Aldrik is more than a little nervious that this might be posting somewhere he doesn't expect it to go. For a proud product of the internet generation, I'm awfully apprehensive and inexperienced with its more social aspects. Ah well.

If this goes where I intend it to go, that means I'm properly plugged in and ready to go. I'm just not really in to it yet. This will take some getting used to.

Okay, where were we? Last I remember, I got off a detect evil and detect undead off on the prince and his court. If I recall, we couldn't see, so it's possible that the prince was one of the ones who detected as evil. That, however, is inconsiquential; he's not a vampire and that means that the cult is wrong and potentially dangerous. If I recall, that's where we stopped. I believe the next thing I needed to do was go back to Brightstone so I could report my findings and commence the dismantling of the cult. Correct?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Aldrik said:
Okay, where were we? Last I remember, I got off a detect evil and detect undead off on the prince and his court. If I recall, we couldn't see, so it's possible that the prince was one of the ones who detected as evil. That, however, is inconsiquential; he's not a vampire and that means that the cult is wrong and potentially dangerous. If I recall, that's where we stopped. I believe the next thing I needed to do was go back to Brightstone so I could report my findings and commence the dismantling of the cult. Correct?

Agreed. Circumstantial evidence notwithstanding, he's passed every solid test.

After the detect evil and detect undead, you got off a detect magic (1 faint, 1 strong) and then left, as Demelmir was basically finished.

Taliz

First Post
alrighti

Okay, Taliz will be asking around his official contacts/guard friends about the Lady Jane - he'll keep it light and whatnot, an dif any one starts to question him on it he'll basically explain what happened (he returned her stolen purse to her) and that he never really got to see her and is now curious. He is not exactly a pretty SOB so I don't think anybody will be all that surprised if he is asking around about a girl rather than talking to her. As to the Heironeous champion, Taliz will try to maintian contact with the guy - inviting him to practice with the guards whenever, getting him used to people, friends etc. Basically, neither of them is alot comfortable around people so Taliz might try to make friends (plus he wants to keep an eye on the guy). He'll also offer to get him better stuff - scabbard, armor. He'll also make sure that the circuit-riding guards are perhaps a little extra heavy on the North side where the Orcs came from (whether he does that officially or just by talking to the riders depends on the exact nature of his current relationship with the power structure). Taliz will also bother Denelmir about the comatose Elf of Ultimate power - beings who can kick that many asses that effectively and, nonetheless, had their ass kicked that effectively are interesting to him. But all of that is secondary to the Cult. Taliz will spend part of each day trying to keep an eye on the Cultists we know (without being noticed) and he will be ready to plan violence/arrests/excomms/whatever whenever. Taliz awaits the "sign" from Aldrik.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The guards are sympethetic to your cause, but most don't even know of the Lady. Some have heard of her, and many have heard of her offered reward -- word about such a kingly reward gets around quickly.

Gather Information 16 = 12 + 2 + 2 circustance. Mark yourself down 1 gp for buying drinks and such.

"Ah heard that there's been some 'special' shipments out east -- far east, mind you, like Gristway or Pertrem. If they nicked that jewel-thing, they'll fence it far away from here, wit' the reward and all."

Taliz said:
He'll also make sure that the circuit-riding guards are perhaps a little extra heavy on the North side where the Orcs came from (whether he does that officially or just by talking to the riders depends on the exact nature of his current relationship with the power structure).

Once you're done with your advisory position, whatever you say would just be advice -- but probably taken seriously.

Taliz said:
Taliz will also bother Denelmir about the comatose Elf of Ultimate power - beings who can kick that many asses that effectively and, nonetheless, had their ass kicked that effectively are interesting to him.

Over lunch, you ask Denelmir about the Eldest:

"What can I say? He's still out, the last I heard. I haven't seen him for a week and a half. Once he stirs, though, I don't suppose they'll need me any longer -- the circumstances will be different. Then, with grace, I'll understand what the Shalm has chosen me for."

Taliz

First Post
OK. What about the Heironeous guy? Also, Taliz will go speak to the Mayor and advise him to increase patrols to the north. As part of the conversation, he will casually mention the Lady Jane - asking (assuming the mayor is aware of her/her situation) if anyone has cashed in on the reward. He will explain his relation to the situation and indicate he is interested in seeing it resolve. He will ask for any suggestions and ask about the Lady. Subtley(ish) of course. Gold is so noted.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Reference date:
Late harvest of the year 24
The year 3276 of Dwerivel

The champion of Heironeous trains with the soldiers every so often, but he's something of a loner -- he never starts conversations, and he seems just as happy at home. (I won't get into the advantages of training with others vs. alone.)

With the mayor:
"I can certainly understand your concerns, and we have been a little north-heavy of late. I have to wonder, though, if the greater threat is the barbarians fifty miles tothe north or the elves on our southern border... even without seeing an overarching conspiracy, it would be easy to leave ourselves open to an unforseen attack. Thoughts?"

Later:
"The Tertae can be like that, you know... more concerned with their own affairs than the well-being of the city as a whole. You'd think they didn't live here given their disinterest. Her crystal has been gone since when, a week before the creatures? It might have been taken by the creatures, possibly stored or stolen since; it might have been taken out of the city in desperation during the attacks; it may be down in Dwerivel for all we know. Who can say where such a small thing could be in such turbulent times?"

As for the cult, you haven't any luck whatever; I was going to wait on Andy before going into any great detail regardless, though.

Remove ads