• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mystic Theurge Class on Dungeon Master's Guild

MwaO

Adventurer
Anyway, experimenting with Dungeon Master's Guild - so I wrote up essentially a hybrid class that allows 2 full spell casters in a single class. But...
Very limited in # of spells that it can prepare. It might have a wide range of spells, but it loses a lot of depth of choice.

It should be reasonably balanced compared to any other full progression spell caster. Take a look - I set it to a 'you pay what you want', so it is free if you want it to be.

Thanks,

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171126/Mystic-Theurge-Class

jgsugden

Legend
Just a comment: You've reduced the audience that will see your work by a large percentage by putting it there. A lot of people won't take the step to walk through a paywall even if there is no toll to walk through the door. If you'd rather have a few dollars - maybe - than have a larger audience, your choice of where to present the materials makes a lot of sense. However, if you'd rather have more people see it, discuss it, and potentially use it.... I'd recommend giving up the chance at a few bucks and putting it in a more available location. The people that won't pay $0.99 for an app they'll use for dozens of hours, that stop playing app games when they start trying to monitize the audience, etc... tend to be folks that will not go through something like this paywall... and there are a lot of them (ok, a lot of us).

Tony Vargas

Legend
On the contrary, there's a certain legitimacy to daring to charge money. Homebrews get systematically ignored.

That said, the MT was a 3.5 kludge because MCing didn't work well for casters. 5e MCing works fine with casters. If you want to riff off the concept, more power to you (it's a cool concept), but it needn't have much to do with spellcasting mechanics.

MwaO

Adventurer
On the contrary, there's a certain legitimacy to daring to charge money. Homebrews get systematically ignored.

That said, the MT was a 3.5 kludge because MCing didn't work well for casters. 5e MCing works fine with casters. If you want to riff off the concept, more power to you (it's a cool concept), but it needn't have much to do with spellcasting mechanics.

Right. I'm aiming to de-kludge MC'ing with 5e as I don't think it works particularly well - there's no particular reason that a Cleric 6/Wizard 6 should be stuck with 3rd level spells when a pure caster is tossing off 6th level spells.

And I'm curious about the site, to see how it works. I doubt it will pay for the time, but who knows.

MwaO

Adventurer
In the humorous section, one of two things is true, but the system doesn't give me enough information to figure it out.
A) Someone purchased it for a $1. This is the only person who purchased it. It is 59th in the system, which seems really bad for everything else.
B) Someone purchased it for a $1. The site doesn't actually count anyone who didn't purchase it for money. Which seems really bad for tracking how well your free stuff is doing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Right. I'm aiming to de-kludge MC'ing with 5e as I don't think it works particularly well - there's no particular reason that a Cleric 6/Wizard 6 should be stuck with 3rd level spells when a pure caster is tossing off 6th level spells.
Yeah, but it's so much /better/ than it was. He's got 6th level spell slots and his save DCs use the same 12th level proficiency bonus. He's not mechanically worse than two 6th-level casters standing next to eachother! If 1-3rd level spells cast in 6th level slots aren't cutting it, maybe enhance scaling? Maybe allow access to 4th-6th level spells, but only if they're on both lists?

Because, by the same token, does it make a lot of sense that a Cleric 10/Wizard 2 should be casting 6th level wizard spells?

And I'm curious about the site, to see how it works. I doubt it will pay for the time, but who knows.
Like I said, more power to you, kudos on stepping up and making the effort.

MwaO

Adventurer
Yeah, but it's so much /better/ than it was. He's got 6th level spell slots and his save DCs use the same 12th level proficiency bonus. He's not mechanically worse than two 6th-level casters standing next to eachother! If 1-3rd level spells cast in 6th level slots aren't cutting it, maybe enhance scaling? Maybe allow access to 4th-6th level spells, but only if they're on both lists?

Because, by the same token, does it make a lot of sense that a Cleric 10/Wizard 2 should be casting 6th level wizard spells?

It doesn't necessarily make sense that he should be casting 6th level Wizard spells, but I think 6th level Cleric spells ought to be okay in that situation and probably 2nd level Wizard spells. But there should be a cost that doesn't currently really exist. Say feats are only gained at levels 5/10/15/20 instead of 4/8/12/16/19. Or spells known get reduced drastically in such a way that the Cleric 10/Wizard 2 knows less spells total than a Cleric 12 or Wizard 12.

It is better than 3x, but a lot worse than 4e, both in power swap feats or in the hybrid options.

Thanks!

Miladoon

First Post
I don't think it is a bad idea to mark your file pay what you want. Most times when I check out with something I pay for, I throw a bunch of pay what I want in the cart. So it might take a while for me to see it.

Can you add playtest notes to the download, please?

Tony Vargas

Legend
It doesn't necessarily make sense that he should be casting 6th level Wizard spells, but I think 6th level Cleric spells ought to be okay in that situation and probably 2nd level Wizard spells. But there should be a cost that doesn't currently really exist.

Hmmm... What if your Mystic Theurge had it's own small spell list, drawing from the most thematically-appropriate arcane & divine spells? MT spells could pick up where the Cleric/Wizard spells left off? You wouldn't have to limit the number of spells prepared or known, the reduced selection would be the limitation? It would make the PrC very defining - since most MTs would end up casting from a distinctive sub-set of high-level spells.

It is better than 3x, but a lot worse than 4e, both in power swap feats or in the hybrid options.
I always liked the elegance implied by the 3.x MCing system, even if it never lived up to it. MC feats were OK, but power-swapping seemed excessively costly, and Hybrids baroque. On the WotC forum someone, TrueMallowMan, maybe, came up with an idea where you'd have an advancement structure like in 4e, but take multiple 'paths?' I think it was, each of which would expand the powers & features you could choose from freely. Apart from something like that, hypothetically very well-implemented, I think 5e's leading the pack on MCing. If only it had the degree of class-level balance the system implies. ;(

CapnZapp

Legend
Just a comment: You've reduced the audience that will see your work by a large percentage by putting it there.
No, he's reduced the audience by charging money for it.

Putting it up on the DMs Guild is certainly better than the walled-off empty ghetto that is the ENWorld homebrew forum...

Remove ads