• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystic Theurge Feats

Cedric

First Post
Converting my 1st edition Cleric/Magic-User (elven) to 3rd edition...and I have it all done except for the Feats.

The character is 3rd wizard/ 3rd cleric/ 5th Mystic Theurge.

Was thinking about Improved Initiative, Improved Counterspell, Reactive Counterspell and Extend Spell...but honestly that just isn't "inspiring" me. Anyone want to help with this?

I consider loading up on the nice metamagic feats, but since I'm already taking a bit of a hit in my higher level spell selection, didn't seem to be the best choice. I'm open minded though.

Thanks,

Cedric

Cedric

First Post
Very true...very very true. Been thinking of some items I might like too....

And I have a TON of gold. Ok...133,000 or so.

Any other thoughts? My casting stats are egregiously high, so spell casting prodigy wouldn't benefit me that much...

jayaint

First Post
wish i could help.. my 5th level char that is on his way to MT, is kind of a special case... after a set of stat-rolls that made me cry in delirious happiness, my dwarven clr2/wiz2/mnk1 with CON of 20 took toughness and then "roll with it" from savage species (DR 2/-, stackable)... nothing like shrugging off damage left and right, and having guaranteed (nat. 1's notwithstanding) Concentration checks. then once my MT levels kick in.. a squat, bearded ball of spells... lol

as far as "normal" feat selection... even though spell focus dropped 1 (though not really unbalancing) it is based on school, not on arcane/divine... so if there is one school that your character might use more of on both sides, SF and GSF are good to look at.

coyote6

Adventurer
I'd suggest Spell Penetration, to help with piercing SR. You might not need it that often*, but when you dol need it, you'll really need it.

*Unless you're playing Vault of the Drow, Queen of Lies, City of the Spider Queen or the like, of course. ;)

Malcolm

First Post
*agree with coyote6*

I have/play a MT now, 15th lvl, and Spell Pen is a large comfort.
I'm already behind on the "level" of spell effect that I drop each round, I have to make each hit count!

I'm always partial to Imp Init because I like to choose when I act, etc.

If you're looking for other prestiges, build around them.
If MT is your only prestige, develop according to campaign:

1.) Item heavy campaign = Maximize, Quicken, Chain. You will find the Rods of Enlarge, Empower, Substitute, and Extend fairly cheap/easy. M, Q, and C will be harder/more expensive.

2.) Item light campaign = *agree with Hong* You'll make friends in the party. Lots. And that frees up the others from it. Just make sure they keep you alive, no need to waste xp on deaths; better to burn on creation. ;)

JayOmega

First Post
You're correct that you're better off without metamagic feats as a Theurge. The only worthwhile one might be Still Spell, so you can wear Clericy armor and still cast wizard spells, if you're leaning towards the clerical/front-line side. If you go this way, take Combat Casting, Craft Wand, and Craft Wondrous Item, or possibly start on the Dodge/Mobility chain.

Even with good casting stats, you're not going to be great with direct-damage spells as a Theurge. I'd go with Spell Focus (Conjuration) -> Augment Summoning for your "combat" spells (especially since both Wizards and Clerics have Summon Monster on their lists) and Craft Wand & Craft Wondrous for support purposes.

If you're leaning more defensively (as your list of feats implies), though, I'd stick with Improved Init and Improved Counterspell, and add Craft Wand and Craft Wondrous.

(See a pattern here?)

Last edited:

Cedric

First Post
What about the signature spell line? Since my character is a 1st edition Cleric/Magic-User that was played all the way from 1st level to 8/9th level...I have some advantages.

For one thing, I have a near artifact level book that is in my keeping...which for as long as I have it lets me add my Wisdom bonus to my Arcane bonus spells per day along with my int bonus.

So yes, I get a disturbingly huge number of spells per day.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Check out this discussion on Spell Exchange (WoTC). Could be useful for loading up on high-power arcane spells.

It is very useful in conjunction with a Ring of Wizardry and Metamagic feats.

On the Theurge? Scary, just plain scary.

Andargor

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads