• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mythbusters Busted?

Villano

First Post
Anyone else feeling dissatisfied with Mythbusters lately? I loved the show when it began. I didn't even mind the inclusion of the Build Team. However, it doesn't really feel like the same show to me anymore.

First, when the Build Team was introduced, they helped Adam and Jamie with their myths. Later, they started doing their own myths and then checking in with Adam with the results. Now, I don't think they appear together during an episode. I feel like I'm watching two shows: "One Or Two Big Myths With Adam & Jamie" and "The Build Team Do A Half Dozen Quickie Myths".

The other problem I have is that it seems like the researchers aren't really trying. For example, they did the story of a sniper (in the Korean or Vietnam War) who killed an enemy sniper by putting a bullet down his scope. They declared the myth "busted" (even though the sniper recieved a medal for the act). Later, they revisited the myth when viewers complained that they used the wrong gun, ammo, and scope. In other words, they got everything wrong. They tried again and changed their verdict.

Recently, they did a segment on beating the polygraph. Now, I had problems with the way they handled the myth (i.e., the Build Team each came up with one idea and they tried them), but I wasn't expecting what others discovered.

The test was administered by a Dr. Michael Martin, PHD. It seems the good doctor got his degree from Suffield University. Why is that a problem? This is from Wikipedia:

Suffield University is an unaccredited internet school specializing in what they call Life Experience Degrees, issued upon payment, with life experience assessment based on the word of the applicant. Suffield University is not accredited by any accreditation body recognized by its country. As such, its degrees and credits might not be acceptable to employers or other institutions, and use of degree titles may be restricted or illegal in some jurisdictions.

Offering degrees for a fixed fee based on life experience is generally considered to be indicative of the institution being a diploma mill, and Suffield has been identified as such. In 2003, The New Republic noted "the Florida fire department training commander caught last year with a degree in fire science from Suffield University, a mill 'accredited' by the bogus National Distance Learning Accreditation Council". When discovered, the "graduates" of these degrees lost their jobs, promotions or pay rises.

The states of Oregon and Texas list Suffield University as "operating illegally in Connecticut."

Basically, you tell them your "life experience" and send them money and they mail you a degree. You want to be a polygraph expert? Tell them you have a lot of experience at it, and, bang, you too can have a PHD! :eek:

Oh, and nothing screams credibility like "operating illegally in Connecticut". :uhoh:

What makes it worse is that, checking around, I found a website by a polygraph critic, George Maschke, who commented on the episode. He says that he was contacted by Mythbusters producers after he appeared on a British tv program. He was asked for advice on getting a polygraph operator and he warned them about a couple of people with fake PHDs, including this "Doctor" Michael Martin.

So, they were warned about him, but used him anyway? As someone else said about this topic, how can you trust the honesty of the results if you can't trust the honesty of the operator?

It seems like no one there cares anymore. Come up with the quickest solution, bang it out, and move on to the next myth. :\

I really hope they turn this around. Like I said, I liked the show and I wish it could get back to what it was.

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I know often they "bust" a "myth" that is no myth at all and even a cursory check of records would prove it to be so. For example the one about the jet blowing a car off the road, where they tested by having a car drive through the wash. When the incident they were trying to duplicate involved a car stopped at a stop sign, and had the documentation to back it up. Or the "sinking ship" test where they attempted to use a BOAT not over forty feet long to duplicate an effect that's both well documented and requires more than a thousand tons of displacement to be significant.

*Shrug*. It's meant as entertainment. It only requires enough science to pass for science for the majority of the unwashed masses that skipped science class in school. If they were really serious, would they have chosen special effects guys as their hosts?

Share and enjoy!

Villano

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
I know often they "bust" a "myth" that is no myth at all and even a cursory check of records would prove it to be so. For example the one about the jet blowing a car off the road, where they tested by having a car drive through the wash.

When they first tried to do this myth, they weren't able to duplicate it. At the end of the episode, they revealed that it did actually happen. What's weird is that they recently revisted this myth. Why? You know it happened. :\

Personally, I hated the "Can you build an ejector seat in a car". Um, yes you can. Watch the movie Goldfinger. They didn't have CG back then. They actually built an ejector seat. Myth confirmed.

I guess Adam just wanted to build one.

Then again, I tend to hate all the Hollywood myth shows. Sometimes they pick something done in one movie. Is it really a myth at that point? The "shooting bullets through the floor to make a trapdoor" was just stupid. Did anyone actually think that was possible? It looked fake in Underworld!

bento

Explorer
The lost me when "Team Build" became a more prevelant part of the show.

So I think I probably enjoyed the first season before they "jumped the shark." ;)

Darkwolf71

First Post
I won't lie, I mainly watch it because of Kari. ;)

I actually find the build team to be more entertaining than Adam & Jamie most of the time. The exception being when something is going to go BOOM!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
bento said:
The lost me when "Team Build" became a more prevelant part of the show.

So I think I probably enjoyed the first season before they "jumped the shark." ;)

Hmm... You know, I wouldn't mind if they got Tory to tested that myth out..

Kahuna Burger said:
I still like the show, but I agree that they sometimes either get lazy, don't test well, or define "myth" too broadly.

I think part of the problems with the definition of "myth" being too broad has to do with the inclusion of product placement. Like anytime they do a movie based "myth" I"m pretty sure that a studio exec walked up to them with a barrel of money and 10 dvds and told them to "pick a myth."

Last edited:

Remove ads