Pathfinder 1E Mythic Adventures. Huh?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Mythic PF sucked big time, it's the main reason we got tired of paizo after playing PF for 5 years. Terrible system.

Last edited:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Correct Keldin. Core PF was/is fun, but the mythic part of PF was terrible for our group, in fact we dropped the mythic part from the AP in hopes of salvaging it. Didn't work and in the end PF kind of soured on us due to mythic. Playing 5e now and having fun with it. Our current group can play pretty much any system and have fun, good story driven group.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Could you be more specific on what about Mythic soured you?
How many Mythic Tiers did you get up to? Are we talking you were level 5 characters with 6 Mythic Tiers?
Was it the extra paperwork that comes with it?
How did Mythic take away from your story?
These questions are perplexing to me.

Starfox

Hero
Mythic derails the PF action economy. I think that's the trouble with it. I don't personally have a trouble with that; my problem with Mythic is adding rules to a set of rules that are already very complex. Complexity goes over the top. We got used to it so we can probably finish Wrath of the Righteous, but I am not likely to use it again.

Hereticus

First Post
My experience of mythic Pathfinder, halfway through Wrath of the Righteous, is that it is an immense help to martial characters and a help to spontaneous casters, while not really helping prepared casters prepared casters or skill-users much. As caster balance is a major issue many people have with Pathfinder, this is a kind of cure for that.

What it does is that it allows mythic characters to take an additional move/attack each round by spending a mythic point (which they get a fairly generous pool of). Thus, they can spend their normal actions to full attack every round. This increases martial character damage dramatically. PCs in my games generally outperform expectations, but not by this much.

Casters can spend a mythic point to cast an additional spell in a round, and this can be any spell on their list. This affords great versatility, especially to spontaneous casters, but is nothing like the benefit martials get.

I don't see skill users getting any really significant advantages, but then we have no characters focusing on skills, so the effects might bee there and I just haven't seen them yet.

I am playing a druid, and there is a lot for the wild shaping beast to select from.

However I agree with some of the previous comments. Mythic will be a one shot campaign for us, never to be tried again. But we may allow some of the feats, powered down as needed.

EMR

First Post
To me the only out of control aspect to Mythic is the melee damage being thrown around. Once you trim that down it works really well and makes the characters feel larger than life in a really elegant way.

Honestly I've alwasy wondered why don't they just expand the class tables to 40 and be done with it. That's it. Simple. Whip up a few new feats that continue the already existing feat chains, and voila. Done.

DON'T expand beyond 9th level spells (just increase the spells per day, which means wizards and clerics have more 9th level slots so they can use metamagic-modified lower level spells more often).

The above is easy, and completely within the realm of expertise of Paizo i.e. full confidence they could easily pull it off and make it a quality product. There's just something neat about saying "My 30th level fighter finished that tarrasque off" instead of saying "my 15th level fighter with emo ansgt mythic tiers and what not I can't remember what it's called managed to action economy surpass kinda you know that boss thing that also has mythic stuff I can't remember about..."

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Could you be more specific on what about Mythic soured you?
How many Mythic Tiers did you get up to? Are we talking you were level 5 characters with 6 Mythic Tiers?
Was it the extra paperwork that comes with it?
How did Mythic take away from your story?
These questions are perplexing to me.

Been a while but I think we were 12th level and 4th tier before we dropped the mythic part to continue the story line. Our DM even slowed the mythic tiers down since it was becoming rocket tag with whoever won initiative. Plus it didn't "feel" like our typical fantasy D&D type game as far as the mechanics. The story line was enjoyable but I was playing a Magus and I got turned off when it dawned on me that I was turning into a min/max powergamer just to stay alive. Plus I felt like Nightcrawler, bamfing around attacking like a superhero mutant rather than a guy with a magical sword. So mainly just didn't fit our style of gaming.

Remove ads