• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

N00b DM Questions

Scorponox

First Post
Given that the weapon is not a weapon/object but a spell effect, I'm going to say you can't cast Silence on it. However, you are free to cast silence on an arrow or even a rock and throw it at someone. Also, something as simple as mage hand to move said items around. Also, what's this about a "Silent spell that always hits"? You still need to make attack rolls with the weapon, so...? :confused:

See, here's the thing though. Would Silence work on incorporeal creatures like ghosts, spectres, etc.? If the ghost did not make the save, does the Silence follow them around wherever they go? If the answer is YES, then I would assume it would also follow a Spiritual Weapon around. They are both incorporeal.

In terms of the Silent Spell that always hits, what I meant was that even if the PC character had a +50 to their Will Save, casting Silence on a Spiritual Weapon will still silence them - if the conjured Spiritual Weapon is within 20 ft. of them.

Jacob

Explorer
See, here's the thing though. Would Silence work on incorporeal creatures like ghosts, spectres, etc.? If the ghost did not make the save, does the Silence follow them around wherever they go? If the answer is YES, then I would assume it would also follow a Spiritual Weapon around. They are both incorporeal.

In terms of the Silent Spell that always hits, what I meant was that even if the PC character had a +50 to their Will Save, casting Silence on a Spiritual Weapon will still silence them - if the conjured Spiritual Weapon is within 20 ft. of them.
Ghosts/Spectres/etc. are effected if targeted because they are creatures. Spiritual Weapon is not effected by Silence because it's not a creature or even an object: it's a spell. It's shaped like an object (made of force, not incorporeal), but it does not fall under the guidelines necessary for Silence. If this were the case, you could cast weapon buffs upon it (Greater Magic Weapon, Disrupting Weapon, Flame Arrow, etc.). :confused:

In regards to the Ghost scenario, yes, the Silence would follow it if it failed the save, and it and everything around it would fall under the effects of the spell.

Herzog

Adventurer
IIRC, spells cast on ghosts (when they are manifesting) have a 50% miss chance.

also, the Spiritual Weapon is not an object but a spell effect. Although I would probably allow casting silence on summoned monsters, casting it on Spiritual Weapon somehow seems just a bit too much.

Remove ads