• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Name Five Things You've Done That Others Probably Have Not

Raging Epistaxis

First Post
Hmm. Five unusual/unique things.

1. Had an award winning insect collection of several thousand specimens. Gave it away.
2. Actually like pork rinds.
3. Watched while the Dr. put 32 stitches in my shin after a diving board accident. Had a pleasant conversation, actually. No drugs involved but local.
4. All sorts of animal related (professional) things - palpated cows ovaries per rectum, done surgery (well, ok, sewed up afterwards) on an awake standing cow, cleaned bears teeth, worked on/with all kinds of raptors from kestrels to a snowy owl. Daily surgeries of all sorts, etc.
5. Never had lunch with/ bumped into/ had any encounter with anyone famous. :\

R E

Storm Raven

First Post
megamania said:
Yup- I bet their clock by less than 4 hours. I had a sit down with the bank about this today. Everything is okay now but I still dislike the job (not the person unless they get off on it)

If the job didn't exist, you (and everyone else) would have had a much harder time getting credit in the first place.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Amazing

Seriously, a great reading thread! Let's see...

1) Got my house searched by police because some kids saw me driving with a gun...a water gun. They confiscated the gun.

2) Won an ENnie.

3) Dated a girl for 2 years, we each got married to someone else, then divorced, then dated again for another 2 years 8 years later.

4) Played a game of D&D with Peter Adkinson in his hotel penthouse.

5) Hit an inside-the-park homerun, ran it out, and won the game.

DM Jeff

drose25

Explorer
Raging Epistaxis said:
3. Watched while the Dr. put 32 stitches in my shin after a diving board accident. Had a pleasant conversation, actually. No drugs involved but local.

I had my only two cavities drilled and filled without anesthetic or gas of any kind. I think the dentist was a lot more nervous than I was about it, too. :D

Fortunately, I have a high tolerance for pain.

1. Got to show Vincent Price my complete collection of monster models
2. Know someone on Death Row
3. Went swimming in sub-zero water
4. Lived in a house with a body buried in the basement
5. Eaten haggis and liked it.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
drose25 said:
I had my only two cavities drilled and filled without anesthetic or gas of any kind. I think the dentist was a lot more nervous than I was about it, too. :D

Fortunately, I have a high tolerance for pain.

I had one of my cavities filled this way to. I was 10 at the time. If you make it through that you will never be afraid of the dentist.

CarlZog

Explorer
CarlZog said:
1. Taught the crew of the U.S.S. Constitution how to sail a tall ship.

GlassJaw said:
The story of your boat is pretty unique...maybe you should write a story hour about it or something. :)

I've done a lot of work sailing schooners and square rigs -- tall ships, basically.

The Navy sail training was in 1996 and 1997, when the Navy was planning to sail the Constitution as part of its 200th anniversary celebration. I was working as 2nd mate on the Bounty, the replica built for the Marlon Brando version of Mutiny on the Bounty. We sailed back and forth from Florida to New England with the seasons, doing public sails, teen training and a lot of weekend waterfront festivals.

The Constitution spends its days at the dock and its crew are mostly average Navy recruits who spend their days giving tours to the tourists. So they made several trips sailing with us to learn the ins and outs of handling a square-rig under sail. Though substantially smaller, the Bounty's rig was virtually identical, making the lessons easily transferable. The Constitution's captain at the time was eager for them all to be ready for a wide variety of possibilities.

It was wild to see what they knew and didn't know. Some of them could probably have rebuilt nuclear reactors with their eyes closed, but they couldn't tie basic knots (Not much need on an aircraft carrier, I guess.). A lot of them had never climbed in the rig before, something we discovered when they had go up to furl sails in a squall... That was interesting.

The Constitution's celebratory sail went off without a hitch, but she hasn't sailed again since the summer the '97. There was a lot of political brouhaha after the sail. Some of the old guard expressed concern that if she did more sailing she would be exposed to the chance of damage. The real fear, however, was that she might be pressured to leave Boston if it became clear that she was in good enough shape to travel to other ports on the east coast. Given her contribution to the local tourist trade, that was nothing the Boston politicos wanted to see! It's too bad; her visibility and publicity value could be SO much higher if the Navy was sailing her now and then.

Carl

AIM-54

First Post
CarlZog said:
I've done a lot of work sailing schooners and square rigs -- tall ships, basically. <snip>
Carl

That's interesting. I have a friend from undergrad who, last I heard, was sailing with the Bounty. BU did a summer course on HMS Rose my freshman year, two weeks learning to sail and studying maritime history that I took. Among the most fun I have ever had. We sailed from Boston up to Nova Scotia (didn't make it much past Lunenburg due to poor weather and time constraints) and then concluded the trip with an expanded tour of the Constitution (beyond what they do for normal tourists). It was an absolute blast. Wish I still had some of that knowledge...the Rose also appeared in The Patriot and Master and Commander, which is pretty cool. Nothing better than being high in the rigging, coming in to port... :)

Remove ads