Name me a system: Modern Horror

malraux

First Post
d20 CoC uses more or less the same d20 system as d20 modern. I'd expect d20 modern to be slightly more survivable, depending on how much of the tech you give the bad guys.

That said, Delta Green is basically exactly what you describe. Basically, the events of Shadow over Innsmouth happen as described, then the OSS forms a team of Mythos fighting agents. At some point, the group goes rogue and officially doesn't exist anymore. However, it continues to get support.

Aus_Snow

First Post
True20.

* Simple system; d20 preferred but I'm open to other systems? Check. This is multi-genre d20, simplified and streamlined a bit, and changed in a few other ways.

* It should allow for combat and adventuring, nothing "too" realistic? Sure.

* A nice magic/psychic power system? Definitely. It's an integral part of the core system, most accessible to the Adept role (as opposed to Warrior or Expert) but open to all.

* A nice bestiery of monsters like ghosts, vampires, and demonic forces? Yep. And there's the True20 Bestiary, if you really want to get hardcore about it.

But make sure you get the revised corebook, if you decide to check it out - the sections on Horror and Modern gaming would be pretty handy, I imagine.

arscott

First Post
Esoterrorists by Robin Laws might be worth a look

You are elite investigators combating the plots of the Esoterrorists, a loose affiliation of occult terrorists intent on tearing the fabric of the world. The Esoterrorists introduces the GUMSHOE rules system, which revolutionizes investigative scenarios by ensuring that players are never deprived of the crucial clues they need to move the story forward.​
Though perhaps Fear Itself might work better for your needs.

Same basic system, but the skill list is simplified, and it adds some psychic powers.

All of the GUMSHOE system offerings can be seen here

Ace

Adventurer
Witchcraft, by Eden Studios is Free and Legal to download here and has rules for ghosts, spirits and more.

It uses Unisystem, a slightly more complex version than used in Buffy and Angel and is compatible with Armageddon, Terra Primate and All Flesh Must Be Eaten with no changes.

There are a few supplements for it with more nasties and such

My only regret is that it doesn't sell well enough to get the support I think it deserved. There are six books I'd have loved to see that probably will never be made :(

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My initial suggestion has already been nixed by you- D20 Modern (Urban Arcana and/or DarkMatter), but also like the MC:WoD and Spycraft suggestions. If you do go with one of those, you might also want to check out Ultramodern Firearms and Second World Sourcebook as well.

My next choice would be M&M, esp. with the new W&W rules.

After that?

I'd go with HERO.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
Savage Worlds!!

SW is perfect for this type of game. I actually ran a short modern horror campaign using SW and some of the modules by 12 to Midnight. I highly recommend checking them out. They were some of the best modules I've read for any system hands down. Plus, they come with a lot of handouts and awesome maps.

Grab a copy of the the SW Explorer's Edition and a few of the 12 to Midnight modules and you are ready to go!

Check out the SW forums at the Pinnacle site too. Great community and very helpful.

I'd recommend Unknown Armies, most likely a street level campaign. Its an incredibly simple, yet elegant system based off percentile dice, but without the charts normally associated with d100 based systems, and the outcome allows for a better range of successes and failures without resulting to the storyteller system's "fist full of dice" that basically assures success.

The world of it is what really intrigued me, with its emphasis on obsession and passions. This bleeds over into the magic system schools. Cliomancy for instance, is obsessed with the relation between place/people and memory. Its adepts draw their power from charging from historic locales, and channel that into altering memory and perception. In the case of most schools, just charging up fuels good role playing in itself. Its got a list of formula spells, but each school has its own random magic specialty that allows players to invent effects on the spot.

As far as the beastiary goes, its somewhat light compared to a monster manual. There are some creatures and constructs to be found, but the system is simple enough for you to wing it, and the combat guidelines are good enough for eyeballing damage. However most conflict can occur within the occult underground, the cabals and weirdo's who are in the know, and vie for power.

It lends itself to giving a grain of truth to urban legends and our own weird history, particularly if you're players are willing to get involved and do some research. I had an entropomancer go dig up the grave of Anthony di Stasio, a child who surfed (and survived) a 35 mile per hour 40' tall wave of boiling molasses in the Boston Molasses flood of 1919 to get a bone to make an enchanted skateboard. Its definately a very different feel than CoC.

Last edited:

PoeticJustice

First Post
Dread, a diceless and numberless RPG, is best for a suspenseful, Twilight-zone style intrusive fantasy.

Savage Worlds, a Fast! Furious! Fun! system would be better for more-combat focused games.

The difference here is that Dread is elegant in its simplicity, whereas Savage Worlds is flexible and satisfying--ultimately it may meet more of your criteria than Dread.

Remove ads