• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Name one thing you love and one thing you hate about 4e D&D

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
LOVE
I love the synergy between class powers in combat. The game rules are elegant enough to encourage cooperative tactics, without bogging down gameplay for tactical tabletop action.

edit - cooperative tactics

HATE
The economy presented for equipment, magic items and weapons/armor. Since previous versions of the DMG presented wages by NPC/trade, the game now more resembles the "buy better inventory before you storm the dungeon" sort of model presented on console RPGs. While a much more streamlined approach, it doesn't appeal to the fantasy-steeped-in-reality in me. I ended up using old economy prices from 3E.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Love

The combat. The moves and powers are a lot of fun, easy to uswe, and don't seem to overburden the players

Hate

I don't like the skill system. I like having my skill pointsand being able to take some skills a little and other lots. Now one needs feats to do that and there is no where near enough feats to do that.

MrMyth

First Post
Love It

The fact that I can't decide one favorite thing, torn as I am between the freedom it has given me to design characters and concepts rather than optimized builds; the encouragement it gives the GM to reward creativity without letting it unbalance the game; the ease of use of monster design and encounter construction; and the elegance of the system for rewarding treasure.

Hate It

My one big complaint is... weapons, or more specifically, how they interact with small and large sizes. The fact that the way they handled being small results in halflings being supremely discouraged from certain classes and builds - the very opposite of their stated design goals that led to the removal of negative stat modifiers. Additionally, the fact that minotaurs and bugbears can get such a major boost to damage from wielding oversized weapons - and how this results in a significant backseat for spellcasters, who are stuck with static damage dice on powers, while weapon users suffer no such limitation.

Raven Swords

First Post
I love DMing the game. It's everything I wish 3rd ed had been on the DM side of the screen.

I hate playing a character. It's a toss-up between the way treasure is handled or the non-combat features of character classes.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Love: many options, less rules bloat, and still D&D

Hate: Defualt world with unwanted big things (history, gods...) but not fun little things (monster info, sample hirelings, wandering prostitute table...)

Wormwood

Adventurer
Love (oh man...just one thing????):
DMing 4e is easier than any other version of the game.

Don't love (because I don't "hate" anything about 4e yet)
Reliance on battle grid.

hafrogman

Adventurer
LOVE:
That every class can always be doing something constructive. I've played the rogue in a fight with a construct. I've played the wizard who's out of spells. I've played the cleric who is saving all his magic for the healing that will be needed later. I'm glad those things are gone.

HATE:
The fact that every rogue is trained in Thievery. It's a tiny little thing, and simplicity itself to houserule, but it's indicative of what I feel is a larger problem. Restrictions for restrictions sake. You can't be a dex-based melee combatant without also knowing how to pick a lock. You simply can't. Did your fencing instructor take time out from every lesson to explain traps to you? Why did they do that? It can't be a balance issue, there's just no real explanation for this fairly petty limitation. They created this new system where-by classes are primarily defined by their roles, and then tried to force players to conform to flavor from the old system.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Love:
Argh, hard to pick just one. I would say flexibility is one thing I absolutely adore, and it ties into so much of the other things I adore about 4e.

Dislike (Nothing I Really Hate):
Not having Skill Points. BUT! I like the Skill-System in 4e, just would like Skill Points on-top of it.

Remove ads