Name Resources: For those who have trouble naming their rogues, villians and heroes

Apoplexies

First Post
For those interested in crafting your own language for naming people and places, this article at langmaker.com is a very good guide.
Some non-web resources I use include, but are not limited to:

(1) Richmond, P. (20 04). “What’s in a name: common names of western society and their etymology”? New York. Liberty Press.

(2)Ross, P (1942). “A collection of common names of Medieval Europe”. Chicago. Chicago Publishing. I’ll admit that this one might be a little hard to find in your local library, but is a very useful resource, since the author provides some information not only on the region where the name is found, but also some detail on the commonality of the name.

(3) Barton, S. (1989). “The origin of names and their significance: A linguist guide to naming conventions”. Philadelphia. New Press. This one is very good if one skips the overly long winded introduction, especially the two chapters on Tolkien’s language development. I’ve used this one to create some new languages to help out a friend of mine, who GM’s.

While I know that these are text resources and not online resources, they are still worth looking into; in my opinion. Hope this will be useful, Apoplexies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads