• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Named demons

grodog

Hero
Alzrius said:
It doesn't say. I'm not sure what a "20th-level Type VI demon" meant back then.

He would be a 20HD Type VI demon in OD&D terms (or perhaps 20+20HD, since IIRC Type VI demons were 8+8HD).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Don't know if they were mentioned already, but I happened to be looking at an old list of proxies that I made up...

Rotting Jack (babau proxy of Kiaransalee, found in Thanatos) - Planes of Chaos
Splitfang (cambion proxy of Yeenoghu, in his lair The Seeping Woods); not sure which book I found this in
Bleeding Setch (marquis cambion, apparently proxy of Orcus) - On Hallowed Ground p26

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Skallathrax, arcanaloth (Yugoloth, Greater) and Grelinor, nycaloth (Yugoloth, Greater) both from the Apocalypse Stone authored by Jason Carl and Chris Pramas, published by TSR in 2000.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
jdrakeh said:
Skallathrax, arcanaloth (Yugoloth, Greater) and Grelinor, nycaloth (Yugoloth, Greater) both from the Apocalypse Stone authored by Jason Carl and Chris Pramas, published by TSR in 2000.

And neither of which are demons.

Byakala is an advanced marilith with the Smoking Eye template, found in The Shackled City.

From the Book of Vile Darkness web enhancement, Rhyxali has two demon servants, a marilith sorcerer named Viractuth, and an advanced elite shadow demon named Kadasha.

There are two cambions laid down in Iuz the Evil: Baron Kerzinen of Rookroost, and Marionnen.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Alzrius said:
And neither of which are demons.

I'm pretty sure that they (i.e, Yugotloths) were classified as "daemons" (albeit daemons with no 'political' affiliation) in previous editions of the game (or at least in second edition, where the two examples I mentioned were culled from).

[Edit: Oops! Never mind. I didn't realize that daemons were different than demons. I guess that's what I get for having a life outside of gaming! ;)]

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
jdrakeh said:
[Edit: Oops! Never mind. I didn't realize that daemons were different than demons. I guess that's what I get for having a life outside of gaming! ;)]

heresy! string him up! ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The last Spelljammer novel, The Ultimate Helm, by Russ T. Howard, had (what appeared to be, from the description) a glabrezu named Lord Mowg.

Thanael

Explorer
rounser said:
Ebonbane, a nalfeshnee demon trapped in a sword in the Dungeon adventure "Bane of the Shadowborn." Ravenloft darklord, originates from the Great Kingdom in Greyhawk, apparently:
Ok actually Ebonbane is already trapped in the sword when he kills Lady Shadowborn. Alexi destroys the sword and takes ebonbane into his own body due to the nature of the lode paladin and so instead of being imprisoned in the sword the darklord is now imprisoned in Alexi! by the way, there was additional fiction on this in one of the kargatane book of S_'s. It was a great pic of work in my opinion. Does anyone know if it counts as canon with SS. I think it is a great premise.

Ebonbane is a demon from the lower planes (A Balor I think) and he was summoned to the Great Kingdom. Now we don't know anything about this Kingdom. I don't think it's from Krynn though, I think that like Barovia it's just a nameless prime material world from which the Mists drew Darklords. Three darklords come from the Great Kingdom: Ebonbane (Shadowborn Manor), Morgoroth (spelling???) (Avonleigh) and Elena Faith-Hold (Nidala)
Mortavius
12-02-03, 02:10 PM
Ebonbane is revealed in Shadowborn to be a Nalfneshnee, actually.

Well if Ebonbane is indeed from the same world as Morgoroth (sources?) then that great kingdom is not the same as the Great Kingdom on Oerth. Morgorth is afaik from the Known World or Mystara setting.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
dyx said:
Well if Ebonbane is indeed from the same world as Morgoroth (sources?) then that great kingdom is not the same as the Great Kingdom on Oerth. Morgorth is afaik from the Known World or Mystara setting.

Just curious, can anyone cite sources for any of this? The novel Shadowborn not withstanding, I've read all the stuff on Ebonbane, and I didn't see anything to suggest a specific campaign world that he and the others came from.

Remove ads