• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Names for horses!

Jehosephat

First Post
die_kluge said:
IMC, I have planned an encounter wherein the PCs can gain wild steeds as their mounts. One of these horses, will be a special Horse of Legend (from MM II) that will be the defacto leader of the other horses. This horse, whom I've dubbed Equinox, will not submit to mere animal empathy skills, or the like. After an attack by a Giant Roc, if the PCs help the horses defeat the predator, Equinox will volunteer to offer his services to the PCs as a thanks for helping them. Additionally, Equinox will pick several other fine horses from his flock to act as mounts for the PCs; Equinox choosing a Paladin, or some other leader-type from the party.

My favorites: Misty, Flicka, Silver, Thunderhead, Seabiscuit, Black Beauty, Khartoum, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Man O'War, and last but not least Trigger :D :rolleyes: :D

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I've always gone with names like 'Butterfly' (After Papilon' Roland's horse.), 'Peony', 'Buttercup', 'Dobbin', and 'Whitemuzzle'. I've run into a lot more horses with names like that than 'Odin's Thunder' and 'Hellfury'. For some reason there are folks who think my names for horses is weird...

The Auld Grump, 'Mist' is also good, and some day I will use the name 'Wall', for the horse of Richard III.

Last edited:

Norfleet

First Post
Well, I remember one computer game had uber-horses capable of carrying 6 men and travelling underwater: It was deemed "Equus Maximus".

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Ooo, Ooo, a few that I inexplicably left off:

An Amerindian-influenced ranger with a buckskin medium warhorse named "Traveler" (after Robert E. Lee's horse).

A wizard/rogue with an Appaloosa named "Bucephalus".

A Celtic warrior with a white pegasus named "Star-Wing". He originally tried to capture the beast cos it would be way cool to have a pegasus mount, but the pair wound up in a fight with a very hungry dragonne.

The warrior stayed and fought alongside the pegasus, whom he freed after the battle, realizing that he'd been a big (borderline evil) jerk to try and enslave it -- which also struck at one of his core reasons for adventuring (village devastated by slave-takers, *sob* revenge, free da slaves, yaddayaddayadda). The critter decided that the fighter wasn't actually bad at heart (just stupid) and stayed with him after. It developed into a pretty cool partnership.

A kobod with an elephant mount named "Stewart" (after the annoying blond fat kid on "Beavis & Butt-Head"), complete with multi-level howdah.

Also, IMC, a PC has a bipedal dinosaurian mount (these creatures,and quadrepedal dinosaurian beasts of burden, are more common that equines, IMC; horses are a rare critter, and single-toed modern horses are even more rare and valuable) named "Adolpho" (after the PC's father, whom he did not get along well with).

A Dwarf PC IMC has a small herd of mutant multi-legged eohippi, which she wants to train and exhibit in a circus/carnival setting. She hasn't named them yet (but knowing her, they'll prolly have "mineral" names, such as "Quartz", "Agate", "Zirconium", etc.).

jerichothebard

First Post
Bob. Bob the brown horse.

You laugh, but that horse was immortal. Durn thing never once, in a four-five year weekly marathon campaign, failed a saving throw. We sank a ship under it, lost all hands, Bob fought his way out from the hold and made it to shore. Followed us through multiple dimensions without batting an eyelash. My character thought that Bob was a demon-horse, but he wasn't. Just really fleeming lucky.

jtb

ArielManx

First Post
In our main campaign, my characters have riding mares named Ashes and Moondancer. The pack mules are Henry and Layla. Before Layla there was a mule named Manshoon. ;)

In our smaller campaign my character is already on her third horse, Pembleton (Tordek and Kelvin are in the big corral in the sky...)

Ariel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads