• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Names for Swords!

mattcolville

Adventurer
This is a hell of a thread. I'm going to have to put some legendary swords in my campaign.

In the d20 Monster Book Liber Bestarius by Eden Studios, most of which I wrote, appears Zjaresko, the Demon Blade of the Planar Lords.

I don't recall how much stuff we heaped on Zjaresko, but it's pretty bad-ass. It's an intelligent weapon that's in search of its previous owner, Lord Tarravok, the Captain of the Company of Autumn.

Thresher

First Post
"Fragarach, and its nine cousins, Answerer, Back-Talker, Concluder, Last-Quip, Rebutter, Replier, Retorter, Scather, and Squelcher"

Ah theres some memories from many years ago.
I remember my cavalier picking up Concluder in 'temple of elemental evil' and I still think for what it was worth (1 carefull owner, 20 suicidal ones, going cheap), it was one of the coolest swords.

Agback

Explorer
G'day,

If we're mentioning swords from our own campaigns: my first Humakti had an enchanted iron broadsword named Whisper. And my first Gehennum campaign featured a major artifact called The Sword with No Name. Other nice examples include Pikrosider, Surcease, Arbiter Mundi, and Heelbiter.

Regards,

Agback

Grim

First Post
lets see... from A Song of Ice and Fire, whoever posted forgot the sword/rapier/pokey metal thing Needle.

from my own campain, there was a greatsword simply called Death.

And an axe called Polaris, which had the image of a bear(think ursa major), leaping out across the blade from the pole part and when thrown into the air would always land pointing north.

Oh, and the rogue's dagger, Misery.

Drayan

First Post
I played a Bladestorm Adept in a campaign that wielded 2 Bastard Swords (we were a little light on the rules) named Tempest and Maelstrom.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
s/LaSH said:

There's Twinkle and, um, Drizzt's other scimitar.
That "other scimitar" is Icingdeath.
I can't beleive I know that off the top of my head.
Anyways, "-bringer" is always a good start for a sword. Chaosbringer, Deathbringer, Furybringer, etc.
Also, can't go wrong with "Something's Bane".
And once I had a dual-weilding barbarian NPC whose twin longswords were named Lift and Separate.

Demiurge out.

Last edited:

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Snickersee; the official sword of the Lord High Executioner.
Slicer & Dicer, a matching pair of short swords.

BG I & II are good sources for swords; my favorite is Lilarcor the Sentient Sword ("C'mon! Can we kill something now? Pleeeease?")

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
demiurge1138 said:
That "other scimitar" is Icingdeath.
I can't beleive I know that off the top of my head.

Actually, iirc, Icingdeath was the human moniker for the white dragon that Drizzt and Wulfgar killed. That scimitar was just found in the dragon's hoard.

Xarlen

First Post
Beat me to it, Alzrius.

Doesn't Terminus mean The End?

Advanced AI in one campaign that had sword names:
Durandal (mentioned)
Savaguin
Courtian

Wielded by paladins of Charlimagne.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Return to White Plume Mountain featured a fourth special weapon, a sword of ice named Frostrazor. When you hit someone with it, shards of ice broke off and stayed in your opponent for extra damage. There was a tiny chance that such a shard could grow to form another ice sword.

We see one such sword in The Shattered Circle, product of Frostrazor somehow, named Icerazor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads