NaNoWriMo 2023

Reynard

Legend
I am curious if anyone is planning on doing National Novel Writing Month this November -- mostly beause @Whizbang Dustyboots mentioned it in another thread and I want to know what he is working on!

I have done it in the past but November is tough for me these days because in addition to being an old fart, I am also a full time Civil Engineering student. School responsibilities ramp up pretty fast in November since finals are usually second week in December, so I don't think i will be able to do it this year. Even so, i thought folks could use this thread to att least get some encouragement. Post your dailies or weeklies, get atta'folks, etc..

Man, I'm 80,000 words into the novel I started last November. I need to speed up. I was pretty sure I'd cracked a nut on how to end the book a month ago, and then I got Baldur's Gate 3. I've now set myself a restriction that I can't romance any of the characters until I finish a chapter.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I did it half-heartedly years ago, just sort of winging it and not getting very far. Honestly, what I had in mind was a short story I should probably get back to some day.

This year, my plan, time allowing, is to basically create a fleshed out outline, with vignettes and scenes for a historical novel I've wanted to write forever. There's a writing dictum that "you can't fix a blank page," and my goal with NaNoWriMo wouldn't be to create a finished novel I could send off to a publisher, but rather something I can stick in a drawer and come back to in a year or two and fix up.

But if I'm going to do that, I need to get cracking on reading a history book I wanted to finish before Oct. 31 for background. And, of course, my life is busier than it's ever been, so we'll see.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
This year, my plan, time allowing, is to basically create a fleshed out outline, with vignettes and scenes for a historical novel I've wanted to write forever. There's a writing dictum that "you can't fix a blank page," and my goal with NaNoWriMo wouldn't be to create a finished novel I could send off to a publisher, but rather something I can stick in a drawer and come back to in a year or two and fix up.
This is basically the ideal way to approach it. I haven't had the time to write in years but I've definitely got a few old half-finished novels collecting dust to come back to someday. There was a stretch where I was re-writing the same novel over and over again with the intention of stitching the best parts together and smoothing out the rest, but that honestly got pretty boring after a while.

Now that I work in a Library I've thought about doing an event, but I'm already running a board game design competition for November so I'm gonna be stretched thin enough as it is.

My wife, best friends, and sisters are all pushing me to write another* novel again. I should probably do so.

*Last one was 25 years ago, very 90s, and almost never mention it.

Remove ads