• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Narrating Combat

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
From a player and a DM perspective, how do you narrate your attacks and defences, but mainly attacks?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I realised I have no clue. I am still in the mode of “I rolled a 22, I hit…take 5 points of damage…”

Boring, but then I am coming up short on how to narrate combat.

I slash with my broadsword
I bludgeon with my warhammer
I, I errr…slash with my broadsword…again.

How does it go with you, and are there any tips?

Thanks all

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's mostly a DM thing, in my experience, unless there are mechanics tied to what the player does. (You can incentivize the players by offering a +2 circumstance bonus for truly cool descriptions.)

But for the DM, narrate every roll based on how badly they miss (missing my one or two is something like "but at the last moment, they get their shield up and deflect Blackleaf's blow") or hit.

SeaJay

It's mostly a DM thing, in my experience, unless there are mechanics tied to what the player does. (You can incentivize the players by offering a +2 circumstance bonus for truly cool descriptions.)

But for the DM, narrate every roll based on how badly they miss (missing my one or two is something like "but at the last moment, they get their shield up and deflect Blackleaf's blow") or hit.
My main question was basically how exactly do you narrate a combat attack/defence?

I'm not well versed in that department.

The goblin's shortsword slashes at your midriff

The Ogre's club hammers down on your shield

The bandit's punch slams into your jaw

That kind of thing. I was wondering if there's a technique that's used, or is it just experience being the best teacher?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Novels are the best teacher. ;)

Let me cut and paste some stuff from my play by post threads ...

Branch steps out of the shadows, burying her hand axe in the creature's back, eliciting a howl of rage and pain.
As the others struggle to save Branch from being yanked over the edge of the cliff and onto the rapids far below, Donnul pronounces a few arcane syllables and an arrow of magical energy flashes from his hand, striking the goblin unerringly. The goblin hisses in pain, but does not release the rope.
As Emus and the frog struggle, the next frog opens its mouth and launches its sickly pink tongue at Emmerson. The tongue hits his armor with enough force to almost knock him off his feet, and begins to drag him toward the frog's waiting maw.
Stagg's shot goes a little wide. The sniper looks up, startled. It's a human, and there's a glint from one eye that suggests a cybernetic replacement.
(Not all the same game, obviously.)

SeaJay

Yup, that's the kind of thing I am on about. How is that done? It must be down to experience

HalfordAskold

First Post
In the fast combat phase, I admit I do, "Roll to hit, 16...do damage." But when they have defeated the villain, and say the last PC rolled a nat 20, I try and do a good narrative, "The longsword blade slices through the Orc's upper chest, splitting his leather armor and having dark green blood explode all over...etc." I try for the big finish. My PCs seem to like that.

thunderspirit

First Post
Read a lot. Steal what seems appropriate to the moment.
+1.

Additionally, recall films you've seen with some violence and gore, then try to describe the action scenes in descriptive terms.

Note that sometimes this comes out as a lampoon...but even that's worthwhile, because you're learning the fine line between good and over-emoting.

It takes some time, but you'll start to get the cadence down. Good luck!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You may find that, unless your font of narration is very, very deep, you'll tend to get repetitive. Doubly so if the characters are mechanically doing the same thing several times in a row.

Most GMs I know will narrate some attacks, but not all of them - pick the ones with interesting consequences, and narrate them, and you are probably doing just fine.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm playing in a game right now where the GM keeps a separate combat thread - pretty much strictly mechanics, though the players are free to add some narration. Once combat ends, he puts a narrative in the main IC thread. That way he can hit the highlights of the fight and gloss over the repetitive stuff. Also keeps the story cleaner.

I had some reservations about doing it that way at first, but I'm finding that I like it now.

Remove ads