• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Narrativism can be old-school

imurphy943

First Post
The general assumption is that old-school gamers are entirely Gamist and Simulationist in the GNS typology, but I think that there is definitely something to be gained by injecting a bit of Narrativism into the game.

Simulationism teaches that people like to believe the game, and that in order for this to happen the game must be internally consistent.

Gamism teaches that people like to do cool things in the game, and that in order for this to happen, you must sometimes bend the laws of virtual physics.

Narrativism teaches that people like be cool people in the game. What’s wrong with that? The POV is that in order for this to happen, you have to strain the suspension of disbelief (wouldn’t a normal person just die?), or make it less like a game by having it follow a predictable pattern (I’m betting the kindly priest did it. Again?). But this doesn’t have to be true.

Narrativism gets a bad rep because so many bad modules and worse DMs try to force it on the game, which always ends up feeling flat because it doesn’t evolve based on who the players are or what they want. A module could be anti-Gamist or anti-Simulationist, but it’s hard to shove a philosophy into a module.

Narrativism is also largely assumed to imply letting the PCs live because it wouldn’t be dramatic for them to die now. This also doesn’t have to be the case.

Every time something happens, it makes a story. If somebody dies an ignoble death, it’s not an unsatisfying ending- protagonists don’t have unsatisfying endings! He was just a red shirt! If a TPK, they’re the people who die in the first act to demonstrate how tough the monsters are. Narrativism is largely about creating tension, which is exactly what we’re trying to do with tough-love DMing.

As I see it, if a character stops to fight the man who cut off his hand, in spite of all reason, he’s going to die. And any old-school player ought to be able to judge a fight and know that usually, the best thing to do is run away and slip poison into his drink later. If he does make that choice, though, think about it- how much dramatic tension would a simple +1 to hit for that encounter add? I’m thinking a lot.

And if he was too stupid to judge the situation before engaging, he’s going to die anyway.

This seems extremely similar to the concept of heroism in real life. You only do it if you are an idiot, OR if you believe that you will be rewarded after death.

In this case, a player is risking everything for virtual revenge on a virtual antagonist, but it is still virtual everything that is being risked.
A simple +1 to hit gives an affirmation that somebody thinks that what he is doing is awesome, and creates what is almost an obligation to follow through with his foolish decision.

If he backs down, the knowledge that the DM thought it was cool enough to give a bonus to, however slight, will cause a deep regret if he chickens out, and transform a foolish death to a noble death if die he does.

I don’t think that this clashes with old-school philosophy; it can be done on any system, it puts an emphasis on player choice, and it doesn’t really have much effect on the outcome. It definitely doesn’t clash with Gamism or Simulationism, either.

It inspires players to care about what happens and to take the risk to do cool things- it doesn’t matter that much if you die, it’s just a game.

Try that simple +1 the next couple times someone does something dramatic, and see how long it takes your players to become just a little bit more awesome than before.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I don't even like the distinction between "gamism" and other styles of play.

When it comes down to it, my groups have cool PCs doing cool things in them who are in a consistent story. :D

S'mon

Legend
Gamism teaches that people like to do cool things in the game, and that in order for this to happen, you must sometimes bend the laws of virtual physics.

No. Gamism teaches that players like to face, and hopefully defeat, challenges that challenge them as players, rather than merely challenging their characters. Gamism is the motivation for playing games - chess, monopoly, poker, and D&D-as-game.

Edit: As a Gamist, I'll take your +1 for facing a hated foe and factor that into whether I should fight him, yup.

sinecure

First Post
[MENTION=6672709]imurphy943[/MENTION] storytelling games didn't even exist in the hobby until White Wolf in 1990. We can rewrite history to follow a narrow contemporary theory, but none of that is going to make any of the Forge's GNS "old school". That Narrativism could be made so is just another attempt to paint over what old school RPGs already are. My advice is: quit treating everything as a story. It smacks of reductionism and is a disservice to literature as well as RPGs.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
storytelling games didn't even exist in the hobby until White Wolf in 1990.

Wrong. We almost always played with story as the main drive. Just because it wasn't named in a specific manbner does not mean it did not exist in "old school" play.

And RPG without story is totally pointless to me unless it is a competitive dungeon. Stories never do a disservice to anyone. If you just wanna smack things up, play a FPS computer game :cool:

sinecure

First Post
Just because you chose to play games against the rules as written does not rewrite those directions somehow into how you played the game.

And RPG without story is totally pointless to me unless it is a competitive dungeon. Stories never do a disservice to anyone. If you just wanna smack things up, play a FPS computer game :cool:
That's the close-mindedness I was referring to.

EDIT: This all sounds like people who were either incapable or undesiring to learn the rules of a game and decided to push pieces around a board without thinking instead.

Last edited:

rkwoodard

First Post
Then Why

@imurphy943 storytelling games didn't even exist in the hobby until White Wolf in 1990. We can rewrite history to follow a narrow contemporary theory, but none of that is going to make any of the Forge's GNS "old school". That Narrativism could be made so is just another attempt to paint over what old school RPGs already are. My advice is: quit treating everything as a story. It smacks of reductionism and is a disservice to literature as well as RPGs.

Then why did we have the Greyhawk Gaz, that in a few pages opened up a world of stories and inspirations?

Why in Ghost Towers of Inverness, do we get a Background that is pure Awesome? I mean the Rain of Colorless Fire? That is just begging to be worked into the game.

RK

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Just because you chose to play games against the rules as written does not rewrite those directions somehow into how you played the game.

That's the close-mindedness I was referring to.

EDIT: This all sounds like people who were either incapable or undesiring to learn the rules of a game and decided to push pieces around a board without thinking instead.

ROTFL

Sorry but this has nothing to do with following the rules or not. The rules were always just a base to work with anyway.

Close-mindedness alright, but it's not me.

sinecure

First Post
Then why did we have the Greyhawk Gaz, that in a few pages opened up a world of stories and inspirations?

Why in Ghost Towers of Inverness, do we get a Background that is pure Awesome? I mean the Rain of Colorless Fire? That is just begging to be worked into the game.

first, stories aren't worlds. If anything, a world is the opposite of a story. And all those over detailed campaign settings sold well because buyers wanted to play in games, but couldn't or wouldn't and so read passively along in travelogue format instead. It because next to useless to a DM as soon as it saw print.

second, adventure backgrounds were there for the DM to know and the players to find out. All that background was content to be discovered. That it is pure awesome for you only says that that is the kind of module you prefer. Just imagine if you had learned it through play rather than being told it or had read it.

Remove ads