• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Narrow minded DM

Vander

First Post
I had a situation happen last gaming session. The campaign I play in is highly combat motivated. Guess we havent relyed much on Charisma, etc. ever. Haven't used the NPC reactions in either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition.

Well, I'm trying to change perception by playing a Bard. My bard is quite good at the Arts of Persuasion, as most bards should be. I'm trying to explore other roleplaying avenues, not just hack and slash.

We were in a situation the other nite, where Diplomacy, and influencing the reactions of an NPC were greatly needed. I stepped to the front to try my arts, and was discounted like a torchholding lackey!

In my mind, a bard is all about influencing others, whether it be through being a politician, storyteller, charming rogue-type, or ladies-man. A bard can, and should be more than a singing, +1 giving, Cats Grace and Bulls Strength casting, torch holder. If you take away the usefulness of his influence over others, he will be useless. No doubt.

My question is this: How do you suggest I approach this with the DM, or do I at all? We alternate DM's, and I do think that this DM/player enjoys the "surface" style of play, as do I occasionally. Does this happen to others out there? Thanks.

kreynolds

First Post
I encourage my players (as well as myself) to use alternate avenues to roleplay, i.e. non-combative solutions. In my opinion, the Diplomacy skill was one of the best additions to 3rd edition. Have no fear Vander, as you were truly roleplaying. I can only hope your DM will be able to appreciate that one day. :)

Granted, there are certain situations just won't save your hide, such as when you're facing down a Balor. A diplomacy check probably won't get you very far. On the other hand, if you're facing down a Pit Fiend, you might actually have a bit o' luck with a diplomacy check.

Steven McRownt

First Post
Prepare an Encounter very dangerous as a DM. They should look nearly impossible claerly for ALL the characters of the group. Then, as a DM give them some way to use their diplomacy skill to overcome the encounter. Don't tell the player that they should use charisma instead of violence, but just prepare the thinh that they have to make thst way to continue the adventure...

And let's hope they will not rush into the enemy lines to become martyrs of a better DMing...

Steven McRownt

reapersaurus

Explorer
Vander said:
We were in a situation the other nite, where Diplomacy, and influencing the reactions of an NPC were greatly needed. I stepped to the front to try my arts, and was discounted like a torchholding lackey!
My guess is that they reacted to your Bard as if it was YOU who said what your character said.

Am I right?

It's the universal problem with people who aren't used to roleplaying - they view the game as themselves doing stuff; they can't divorce what your PC is doing from what you are doing.

Look at Star Trek as an example. Captain Jean-Luc Picard didn't blast his way through every single situation. He often used the subtle arts of diplomacy to accomplish objectives. It could be damn effective.

He and the other starship captains would often get into face-offs against hostile alien warships (and their captains), hence they utilized a liberal helping of Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.

The way of the warrior can be a subtle one...

Vander

First Post
Arcanus said:
Vander what part of Iowa are you gaming in?

Central...And you? Just curious...Does anyone think i should shut up and take it, or am I in the right to make a stand on this one?

Vander

First Post
Yeah. I suppose. It's just frustrating after playing for almost 20 years, you would think they would get tired of playing the same, robotic, number crunching ways. Guess it sends the message, if we are not going to use Charisma (except Paladins and Clerics), then why not have a character with a 3 Charisma, and boost all others? Maybe thats the option....Just make it blatantly obvious.

Vaxalon

First Post
Vander said:
The campaign I play in is highly combat motivated. Guess we havent relyed much on Charisma, etc. ever. ....

Well, I'm trying to change perception by playing a Bard.

There's your problem.

Instead of standing up and saying, "I think we should have some situations where we do things without resorting to combat" you tried to be subtle.

Hackenslashers don't react well to subtle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads