• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural attacks and Class attacks confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomn

Explorer
Hi,
I'm confused on how newly obtained natural attacks mix with regular attacks (if at all) and I can't find anything about it in the PHB. In Tome of Magic one of the vestiges gives you ram horns which gives you a natural attack. Do you then have to choose between either the horn attack or your regular weapon attack or can you use both as a full attack? If you can use them both as a full attack, what penalties apply? Thanks!

Cameron

First Post
atomn said:
Hi,
I'm confused on how newly obtained natural attacks mix with regular attacks (if at all) and I can't find anything about it in the PHB. In Tome of Magic one of the vestiges gives you ram horns which gives you a natural attack. Do you then have to choose between either the horn attack or your regular weapon attack or can you use both as a full attack? If you can use them both as a full attack, what penalties apply? Thanks!
Both. You can use your natural attack as a secondary natural attack. For example:

You have a weapon attack of +15/10/5, and have a natural attack. If you wish to use the natural attack as well, it will be at +10 (5 less than your best attack), and so you get 4 attacks total. Multi-attack and Improved multi-attack will decrease that penalty.

Cameron

First Post
He was talking about a gore attack, but yes, if you are holding a weapon, you generally can't use that arm to attack.

However, note that Monks do not have this restriction with their unarmed strikes. Big Dragons with Monk levels can really mess someone up in melee...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Cameron said:
However, note that Monks do not have this restriction with their unarmed strikes.

Neither does anyone else, really - the description of Strike, Unarmed in the equipment section refers to kicks, punches, and headbutts. Even a Commoner-1 isn't required to punch someone with their fist.

-Hyp.

Cameron

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Neither does anyone else, really - the description of Strike, Unarmed in the equipment section refers to kicks, punches, and headbutts. Even a Commoner-1 isn't required to punch someone with their fist.

-Hyp.
Class attacks...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rocks suck! Paper rules!

Now that we've got that out of the way, what were you trying to say with "Class attacks"?

-Hyp.

Cameron

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Rocks suck! Paper rules!

Now that we've got that out of the way, what were you trying to say with "Class attacks"?

-Hyp.
As in not normal Unarmed Strikes. Iterative attacks (with weapons, etc.). I am merely pointing out the the Monk's Unarmed Strikes are considered weapon strikes but you don't need a specific limb for it, so you can use all your natural attacks in conjunction with a full Monk Unarmed Strike attack.

I suppose a Kraken with Rapid Strike, Improved Rapid Strike, TwF, ITWF and GTWF and Monk levels could be even more dangerous than a big dragon, but I think a Colossal Gold wins hands down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads