• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural d20 Press's supers book (Sample Characters)

Supers-freak

First Post
Sample Comic Book Superheroes
Since the folks from Deeds Not Words are doing it, I'm going to post some sample comic book characters for the home team, Natural d20 Press.

Okay, I’m gonna assume that most of the superheroes I’ll be making stats for average around about 15 level. I want to show first how the book by Natural d20 Press works different from Deeds Not Words, and then hopefully people can see which one is easier to use.

If you want me to do a specific character, tell me who, and what his level should be. I know a lot of comics, so I should be good. If not, youcan just tell me what powers he should have.

So I’m going to do the following characters:
Gambit
Wolverine
Cyclops
Spider-man
Batman
Superman
(any other –mans I missed? well, of course there are, but I mean, any good ones?)
DareDevil
Rogue
Jubilee

Supers-freak

First Post
I’m going to make Gambit be a 10th level character. He’s a cool guy, but nowhere near as powerful as, say, Wolverine or Professor X.

Gambit, 4th/2nd/4th level Rogue/Fighter/Hero: Male human, CR 10; Medium-size humanoid (human); HD 4d6+2d10+4d4+20; hp 57; AC 15 (+4 Dex, +1 light breastplate); Init +4; Spd 30 ft.; Atk +11/+6 melee (1d6+1, quarterstaff), +14/+9 ranged (1d6 + 3d6 force explosion, thrown objects); SA Super powers, Sneak Attack +2d6; SQ Evasion, Uncanny Dodge; AL CG; SV Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +1; Str 13, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 17.

Skills and Feats: Balance +9, Bluff +16, Climb +3, Disguise +5, Escape Artist +9, Hide +9, Knowledge (gaming & gambling) +13, Listen +1, Move Silently +9, Pick Pocket +9, Spot +1, Tumble +9; Ambidexterity, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (playing cards), Improved Unarmed Strike, Point-blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quickdraw.

Possessions: Staff, decks of playing cards, leather trenchcoat, light breastplate, sunglasses, poker chips.

Hero Points: 32.
Attack, Projectile (hurled and kinetically charged objects) (9 HrPs): Mutant. Activated. As a full-round action, Gambit can charge any inanimate object. One the following round, he can throw that object as a standard action, with a range increment of 10 ft. The object strikes for up to 1d6 points of damage, then explodes, dealing 3d6 points of force damage to everything in the square struck, and half damage to everything within 5 ft. Base rank 1. Energy damage x3 (6 ranks), blast radius (3 ranks). Requires some sort of object to charge, and the object is destroyed (0 HrP reduction, since this can be both a drawback and a benefit), requires 1 full round of charge time (1 HrP reduction). Note that this object cannot weigh more than Gambit’s lifting capacity.
Heightened Accuracy (5 HrPs): Training. Persistent. Gambit gains a +3 bonus to attack rolls. Base rank 1. Increased effect x2 (4 ranks).
Heightened Dexterity (9 HrPs): Training. Persistent. +6 bonus to Dexterity. Base rank 3. Increased effect x2 (6 ranks).
Invulnerability (7 HrPs): Mutant. Persistent. By creating a kinetic energy field around himself, Gambit gains DR 3/+1. Base rank 2. Greater resistance (4 ranks), increased effect (1 rank).
Skill Bonus (jump) (2 HrPs): Training. Persistent. +10 bonus to Jump checks. Base rank 2.

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Supers-freak said:

Hero Points: 32.
Attack, Projectile (hurled and kinetically charged objects) (9 HrPs): Mutant. Activated. As a full-round action, Gambit can charge any inanimate object. One the following round, he can throw that object as a standard action, with a range increment of 10 ft. The object strikes for up to 1d6 points of damage, then explodes, dealing 3d6 points of force damage to everything in the square struck, and half damage to everything within 5 ft. Base rank 1. Energy damage x3 (6 ranks), blast radius (3 ranks). Requires some sort of object to charge, and the object is destroyed (0 HrP reduction, since this can be both a drawback and a benefit), requires 1 full round of charge time (1 HrP reduction). Note that this object cannot weigh more than Gambit’s lifting capacity.

It's been awhile, but I am sure that Gambit can "charge-up" significantly larger objects... it just takes longer...

Other than that, this looks great!

arrrgh! which to buy...which to buy....which to buy.... ;)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
THis one. The book formely known as d20 Supers. Four colors to fantasy.

Best d20 supers book ever. I know it, because I have all of them.

Supers-freak

First Post
Well, they didn't exactly have Gambit's power. I can kinda see how being able to blow up anything you touch is hard to figure out a cost for. So I stuck to the kind of things he usually does.

Any requests? i could make your character for you.

Supers-freak

First Post
Blink does what again? She has those freaky, turn time & space inside out and make them disappear powers, right? . . . err, maybe, though she'd probably be really high-level if she can instant-kill people.

Wolverine's pretty straightforward, though. He's up next.

drowdude

First Post
Supers-freak said:
Blink does what again? She has those freaky, turn time & space inside out and make them disappear powers, right? . . . err, maybe, though she'd probably be really high-level if she can instant-kill people.

Her primary ability is basically teleportation. She creates small portals through which she can BLINK.

Other than that is your basic extraordinary agility and such.

Honestly it's hard to remember all that she can do... man... I really need to break out my comicbook collection...

Supers-freak said:
Wolverine's pretty straightforward, though. He's up next.

:cool:

Supers-freak

First Post
I wasn’t sure whether to give him levels of Barbarian, or just give him the rage power in the book. I used the rage power, since he doesn’t become totally irrational when he rages. Also, I min-maxed him by making him an older character, even though he’s immune to aging.

Wolverine, 8th/12th level Fighter/Hero: Male human (venerable), CR 20; Medium-size humanoid (human); HD 8d10+12d4+240; hp 319; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; Atk +14/+9/+4//+14/+9 melee (1d6+12, 17/x2 two claws); SA Super powers; SQ Fast Healing 5; AL CN; SV Fort +36, Ref +8, Will +6; Str 14, Dex 15, Con 34, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 13.
Skills and Feats: Intimidate +13, Profession (farmer) +3, Tumble +7, Wilderness Lore +13; Ambidexterity, Blindfight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (claws), Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Scent, Sunder, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (claws), Weapon Specialization (claws).
Possessions: Leather jacket, freaky hair, sunglasses, cigarettes.
Hero Points: 96.

Ageless (1 HrP): Mutant. Persistent. Wolverine does not suffers penalties from old age. Base rank 1.
Fast Healing (13 HrPs): Mutant. Persistent. Wolverine heals 5 hit points per round. Base rank 9. Increased healing x2 (4 ranks).
Heightened Constitution (21 HrPs): Mutant. Persistent. +14 bonus to Constitution. Base rank 3. Increased effect x6 (18 ranks).
Improved Weaponry (11 HrPs): Gadget. Persistent. Wolverine’s claw attacks deal +10 damage. Base rank 3. Increased effect x4 (8 ranks). Internal gadget (0 HrP reduction).
Invulnerability (7 HrPs): Gadget. Persistent. Wolverine’s adamantium skeleton makes him harder to injure, granting DR 5/+4. Base rank 2. Greater resistance x4 (16 ranks), increased effect x2 (2 ranks). Internal gadget (0 HrP reduction).
Rage (20 HrPs): Innate. Activated. As a free action, Wolverine can enter a berserker rage, gaining a +10 bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +5 bonus to Will saves, but suffering a –2 penalty to AC, lasting for 20 rounds. Afterward, he is fatigued. Base rank 4. Increased effect x4 (16 ranks).
Scent (3 HrPs): Mutant. Persistent. Wolverine has the Scent feat. Base rank 3.
Super Health (20 HrPs): Mutant. Persistent. Wolverine gains a +10 bonus to Fortitude saves and Constitution-based checks, and a +20 effective Constitution for the purposes of holding his breath, imbibing alcohol, running, and other endurance-based activities. Base rank 2. Increased effect x9 (18 ranks). Note that this is not an actual increase in Constitution, so it does not grant extra hit points.

drowdude

First Post
Looks really kewl...

But I do have a couple of quibbles ;)

1.) His Str and Dex should be higher. I couldnt find it in my cursory search (5000+ comics :eek: ) , but I am pretty sure he was rated as a maxed out human strength wise in the Marvel Universe guides. And in MSH he had a Remarkable (30) Dex, which I figure converts to 18 or so...

2.) ...aaaand... you forgot Animal Empathy! :p

Seriously though, that looks great! The powers seem to work out very nicely.

Last edited:

Remove ads