• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural Spell Nerf Options

mcgeedis

First Post
My DM just nerfed Natural Spell the following way;

1. Natural Spell: druids with this feat can only cast spells targeting themselves as result, with a range of self or touch. This spell can not be used to cast spells of the healing school (it’s for buffing and self enhancement only!).

So, I need to figure out what the best two or three spells per level that fit this criteria for a Druid. I did go the Augment Summoning route, but I am thinking of retraining (per PHB II rules), since I plan on spending most of my time in Wild Shape form, and the new rule above will no longer allow for summoning spells.

I am thinking of taking Fast Wild Shape to compensate for the new rule though. What I need to do in the interim, is figure out what the best spells and feats for a self buffing Druid are.

Any thoughts are welcome.

(By the way, I am already Vow Of Poverty, so magic item exceptions not allowed. Nor spells with any casting costs in coin.)

Dross

Explorer
No spell choices, but:

If the DM has changed the ability of the feat, I'd ask the DM if you could change your choices instead of retraining.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
mcgeedis said:
My DM just nerfed Natural Spell the following way;

1. Natural Spell: druids with this feat can only cast spells targeting themselves as result, with a range of self or touch. This spell can not be used to cast spells of the healing school (it’s for buffing and self enhancement only!).

So, I need to figure out what the best two or three spells per level that fit this criteria for a Druid. I did go the Augment Summoning route, but I am thinking of retraining (per PHB II rules), since I plan on spending most of my time in Wild Shape form, and the new rule above will no longer allow for summoning spells.

I am thinking of taking Fast Wild Shape to compensate for the new rule though. What I need to do in the interim, is figure out what the best spells and feats for a self buffing Druid are.

Any thoughts are welcome.

(By the way, I am already Vow Of Poverty, so magic item exceptions not allowed. Nor spells with any casting costs in coin.)

well if nothing changes, one of the best self buffs for a druid is bark skin, resist energy.

First, I would recommend that the DM nerfs NS in a different way. The way my group has played it for awhile now is to simply change it from a general feat to a metamagic feat. This means that the druid must decide at the beginning of the day which spells they play to cast in animal form, and which ones they plan to cast in human form. This is a simple, elegant fix for the feat that keeps its power in the hands of the player. I enjoy the change a lot.

Second, if you are stuck with it the way it is, try the following spells: Magic Fang (and Greater), Protection from Energy, and Animal Growth

Nail

First Post
mcgeedis said:
My DM just nerfed Natural Spell the following way;...
That is a silly nerf, IMO.

It doesn't actually the address the problem (druid stays in animal form to cast spells), and it doesn't fit logically within the game world (buff yes, heal no? Wha? This makes no sense!).

Respectfully ;) request that the DM find a different nerf. In our group, what worked was:

"All spells cast using Natural Spell have their casting times lengthened, as casting becomes more cumbersome. Spells that require Std. Actions to cast are lengthened to Full Round Actions. Spells that require a full round action (like a metamagiced spontaneous spell), take one round (that is, until your next turn). Spells that take one round (like summon spells) take two rounds. Other casting times are doubled. You cannot cast spells that have normal casting times of Swift, Immediate, or Free."

akbearfoot

First Post
I agree this seems like an strange nerf....especially if you already had the feat and have been utilizing it up until he decided to nerf it. Were you doing something nasty or something?

Did the DM give you any reasoning? I mean if you can cast a buff spell on yourself, why on earth couldnt you cast it on someone else? The healing option makes even less sense. All that part does is effectively costs your party a healer, or doubly taxes your other healer(if you have 1) since now hes gotta heal the druid who should normally be able to take care of himself.

Also, you should still be able to use the share spells ability of your animal companion...Take the companion spellbound feat from PHB2 so you can -share- your bulls strength, and animal growth, and barkskin with your animal buddy, and as long as he stays within 30 feet, he keeps the buffs.

Last edited:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Or you can just cast away on your Companion. Self only is not a restriction at all when it comes to Companions. If you cast directly on the Companion (and not yourself) there is no range restriction on how far your Companion can wander.

I can understand that a DM may want to amend NS, but this nerf is rather extreme and bizarre.

Jhaelen

First Post
Nail said:
It doesn't actually the address the problem (druid stays in animal form to cast spells)
I agree that the 'nerf' doesn't appear to be well thought-out.
I'd recommend using the alternative druid class ability from PHB2. This gets rid of all problems associated with wildshape AND spellcasting while in an animal shape.

Branduil

Hero
Jhaelen said:
I agree that the 'nerf' doesn't appear to be well thought-out.
I'd recommend using the alternative druid class ability from PHB2. This gets rid of all problems associated with wildshape AND spellcasting while in an animal shape.
Listen to this man.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads