• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural substances blocking Teleport and Dimension Door?

Lord Torin

First Post
My DM is invoking the Manual of the Planes optional rule that lists a few natural substances that block ethereal travel, i.e. plants, living creatures, heavy metals, etc.

Is there any such ruling anywhere that says that Teleport and D-Door are blocked by such things?

What block's Teleport and D-Door besides spell effects (forbiddance) ?

hong

WotC's bitch
Anything that blocks astral travel blocks teleportation. Your DM is free to come up with campaign-specific substances that will do this.

Jeph

Explorer
I don't think anything blocks astral travel. You can only set up a field where it's impossable to go to the astral from this location, or its impossable to go to this location from the astral. Astral travel is like a connection flight; its not like the Etherial plane, wich is conterminous. In order to block astral travel, you'd have to fill the entire plane with a solid object. That, obviously, is impossable.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Since not even Walls of Force blocks astral travel it is quite difficult to imagine a "natural" substance doing the same. On the same note, can a "natural" substance block Planeshift?

Your DM is, of course, free to create new rules, but he will need to rewrite all the 'dimensional' spells and effects in order for them to make sense. For example, he could remove the distinction between Astral and Ethereal, but that makes a huge difference to the usefulness of things like Dimension Door.

Last edited:

Jay Lofstead

First Post
I was reading MotP the other day and did notice a spell that seemed to block these effects (something I was needing for a plot device). It is easy enough to believe that there could be a natural form of the substance that the magic is emulating. Each game cosmology is different. If it is DM trying to take away player advantage that might be being abused, talk it through to see what the reason for it is and why it needs to be introduced. If it is the start of a campaign or the first time power like this is introduced, then it is the perfect time to discuss the limitations. The game is for everyone. The DM is just the guide through the world. Hopefully it is not just a lazy DM issue. Invent an epic (or even non-epic) level spell (or feat) that uses the MotP spell to create and work the materials. That might be more approrpriate for game balance.

gfunk

First Post
If your DM would like to block teleportation into a certain area, there are a few options that exists in the rules. The Forbiddance spell would do it, as would Dimensional Lock. Also the clerical spells Hallow and Unhallow can be tied to one other spell and Dimensional Anchor is mentioned in the spell description. Another choice is a Dead Magic area.

With that said, in previous DND editions there were a few substances that blocked teleportation. One was Gorgon's blood when a few drops were placed into a brick mix to construct a building for instance.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In addition, it isn't uncommon to have problems with teleportation when deep, deep underground. This was originally a plot device put into D1-3 by Gary Gyxax in order to stop the PCs from idly teleporting back and forth. It found its way into 2e, and I'd swear I saw it somewhere in 3e as well. Anyone run into this?

gfunk

First Post
Piratecat said:
In addition, it isn't uncommon to have problems with teleportation when deep, deep underground. This was originally a plot device put into D1-3 by Gary Gyxax in order to stop the PCs from idly teleporting back and forth. It found its way into 2e, and I'd swear I saw it somewhere in 3e as well. Anyone run into this?

You're right. City of the Spider Queen has rules for blocking teleportation and scrying. Since I'm a player and not the DM, I can't give you specifics except to say that there is an associated Spellcraft DC invovled.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Piratecat said:

It may also be used in the "Spiral of Menzassine" illithid prison breakout adventure in a recent Dungeon.

Although basically the DM is completely within his rights to make any campaign-specific changes that he fancies... the MotP is *all about* constructing cosmologies to your own pleasure, after all! There is no reason that Teleport has to involve travel through the astral in his campaign...

Remove ads