• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural weapons and actual weapons

MorganKiller

First Post
Sorry if this has been asked 2000 times...
:p
How can I combine natural weapons (let's suppose 2 claws + 1 bite) and a "normal" weapon? I was thinking about a dragon disciple who is proficient with martial weapons. Can he wield a longsword and make extra attack with his natural weapons? How many? Can he make iterative attack? Which penalties apply (let's suppose he doesn't have multiattack feat)?

Ok, no more questions for now... thanks...

Darklone

Go ahead with more questions, if you have them, we're always happy to have something to discuss ;)

This problem has not been spelled out anywhere (IMHO), but going by examples such as the minotaur you get your normal iterative attacks (by BAB) with the weapon and possible off-hand attacks at a -5 with the natural weapons (no iterative attacks). Multiweapon fighting and other feats may less these penalties.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
These are the rules that deal with mixing Manufactured Weapons and Natural Weapons. I hope they are helpful.
Manufactured Weapons: Some monsters employ manufactured weapons when they attack. Creatures that use swords, bows, spears, and the like follow the same rules as characters, including those for additional attacks from a high base attack bonus and two-weapon fighting penalties. This category also includes “found items,” such as rocks and logs, that a creature wields in combat- in essence, any weapon that is not intrinsic to the creature.
Some creatures combine attacks with natural and manufactured weapons when they make a full attack. When they do so, the manufactured weapon attack is considered the primary attack unless the creature’s description indicates otherwise and any natural weapons the creature also uses are considered secondary natural attacks. These secondary attacks do not interfere with the primary attack as attacking with an off-hand weapon does, but they take the usual -5 penalty (or -2 with the Multiattack feat) for such attacks, even if the natural weapon used is normally the creature’s primary natural weapon.

reapersaurus

Explorer
ah, I missed Camarath's Manufactured Weapons quote by only one post. :D

Boy, you should change your Custom Title to "Manufactured Weapons Quote-Bot."

Remove ads