Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind d20 Ideas

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
The 4-book series is called the "perfect collection," but the 4-book and the 7-book series have the same story. The 7-book series is just broken into smaller books.

As for the forest, Nausicaa and Asbel were in a hollowed out section beneath the forest. It doesn't collapse right away because the massive root systems of all the fungi petrify and make the cathedral-like caves. Once all the fungus overhead dies, it does eventually collapse. All the insects do is protect the forest, which is why they get so nasty when its attacked. I really can't explain more without going into spoiler territory for those who are reading the manga.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I picked up the manga for this on eBay on the recommendation of several of you.

...Just wanted to say thanks, I'm enjoying it immensely, good story. :p

Zoatebix

Working on it
Lobo Lurker said:
I picked up the manga for this on eBay on the recommendation of several of you.

...Just wanted to say thanks, I'm enjoying it immensely, good story. :p
If you ever have the time, money, or inclination, you should check out any (or all) films by Miyayzaki and his studio.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Here's a list in chronological order. These are directed by Hayao Miyazaki and released on DVD internationally through Disney/Buena Vista unless otherwise noted.
1979, pre studio Ghibli: Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro. DVD distributed by Manga entertainment (in the US and UK at least)
1984, proto Ghibli: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
1986, first film by studio Ghibli proper: Laputa, Castle in the Sky
1988 My Neighbor Totoro. Fox has a DVD out that's pan & scan and dubbed only. Disney will be releasing one soon.
1988 Grave of the Fireflies, directed by Isao Takahata. DVD distributed by Manga entertainment.
1989 Kiki's Delivery Service
1991 Only Yesterday, dir. Takahata. Not yet officially available outside of Japan (or maybe East Asia...), but part of the Disney-Tokuma Deal.
1992 Porco Rosso
1993 Ocean Waves, TV-movie, dir. Tomomi Mochizuki. Not yet officially available, and not part of the Disney deal :(. Still very much worth watching.
1994 Pom Poko, dir Takahata. Disney's got the rights but no DVD yet.
1995 Whisper of the Heart, dir. Yoshifumi Kondou. Part of the disney deal but not out yet.
1997 Princess Mononoke
1999 My Neighbors the Yamadas, dir Takahata, no dice on a disc from Disney yet.
2001 Spirited Away
2002 The Cat Returns, dir. Hiroyuki Morita.
2004 Howl's Moving Castle, in US theatres now.

Anywho, with these titles, www.nausicaa.net, the imdb, and maybe some reviews at www.themanime.org (their reviewers are pretty trustworthy, for the most part) you should be able to figure out which ones pique your interest. They're all gorgeous mastercrafts, though.

DMH

First Post
DnDChick said:
As for the forest, Nausicaa and Asbel were in a hollowed out section beneath the forest. It doesn't collapse right away because the massive root systems of all the fungi petrify and make the cathedral-like caves. Once all the fungus overhead dies, it does eventually collapse. All the insects do is protect the forest, which is why they get so nasty when its attacked. I really can't explain more without going into spoiler territory for those who are reading the manga.

Well, could use the spoiler tags? I have tried to get the 4 book set at a couple places around here and neither could order them (and I am a left to right reader).

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Ok...

[sblock]In short ...

The fungus was bioengineered by ancient people soon after the 7 days of fire. The fungus was specifically designed to leech contaminants out of the soil, render them harmless, then break down into fresh, clean earth. The giant insescts where likewise engineered to protect the forest.

The problem is that the fungus releases poisonous miasma as part of the cleansing process. If the fungus is allowed to grow in clean soil, it is harmless.

The biggest problem is that humans had evolved now to such a degree that they couldn't live without the contaminants in the soil. The human race were destined to be destroyed along with the rest of the contaminated world.[/sblock]

DMH

First Post
Thank you!

I have been fiddling around with stats for the toxins the soil is contaminated with. The only problem I am having is dosage. Nausicaa was in the air and inhaled some and yet was uninjured. In Toxicant (Mad Kaiser) format, I think the dosage would have to be time inhaling the spore ladden air. How about:

Air fungal toxins
Dosage: 5 minutes of inhaled air
DC: 15+ variable*
Onset: 3d6 minutes
Duration: 5d20 minutes
Symptoms: ??
Damage: Severe Lung damage 2d8 per minute
Save: Save vs Lung Damage (reduces damage by 45%)

*Start at 5 miles away from the forest and increase the DC by 2 for every mile closer. Within the forest the DC is 35.

Last edited:

Remove ads