• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper is interested in asking about Magellan and the Guardians but knows from prior experience that Penrose isn't keen on being questioned. Besides, if they are to have a lesson tonight then Harper would rather save his questions for matters of magic. If he annoyed Penrose beforehand the lesson could be more than just tedious, it could be unpleasant as well.

"I'll have some coffee. Anyone else?" Harper looks questioningly at the others to see if they want him to bring a cup. Harper doesn't really want coffee but he sees how weary Law seems and he figures if he takes his time getting the coffee then Law can at the least get a few minutes of rest; maybe give him the energy to push through the lesson tonight. Plus, he hopes to catch Faye in the kitchen, maybe, and ask her a few quick questions.

"Okay, I'll be back in a minute."

[/section]

TillForPie

First Post
Faye is in the living room that shares space with the kitchen outside Penrose's study. She's sitting in one of the chairs here, going through a telephone/address book that she has opened in her lap. She looks up only briefly when Harper enters the room.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper looks to see if coffee is already perking. If it's not started he'll get it going, if it's ready he'll pour a cup and join Faye. He'll try to catch her before she dials. "You want a cup?" He smiles what he hopes is a disarming smile and takes a sip of the coffee. "So, who's Magellan? And who are these Guardians?"

[/section]

TillForPie

First Post
There's a pot already made in the kitchen, but it looks like it's been there a while and probably doesn't taste great. All the better to buy time. Harper pours out the old coffee and starts a new pot going.

Faye looks up at Harper's offer, processing the request for a moment before shaking her head and returning her attention to the book in her lap.
[sblock=Chatting up Faye]Roll: Manipulation 2 + Persuasion 1 - 1 base hesitance = Success with 1 success
Harper overcomes Faye's instinct to refer him to Penrose[/sblock]Faye looks up at Harper again. She seems both visibly annoyed at the distraction and eager to talk about Magellan and the Guardians, but she's hesitant. Penrose would probably rather she not tell his students anything he hasn't yet told them himself. Harper's smile is apparently suitably disarming.

"He's an old cabal-mate of Penrose's." Harper knows what the word cabal means but Penrose has never used it. "Call him an old friend," she offers. "He's a Guardian now. A Guardian of the Veil. They're..." She considers how to put it. "Self-appointed secret police." Maybe she was trying to put it delicately, but nothing about a group of self-appointed secret police sounds good. "Things are getting tense between them and the Mysterium."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper nods as he considers what Faye has told him. He also wishes briefly that there was something he could do to pay her back for providing him a room; he knows it annoys her that Penrose dictated to her that he stay there. "Guardians of the Veil, huh? So they crack down on those mages throwing magic around willy-nilly? Like this Earnshaw, I guess." He glances back at the coffee pot as it starts perking.

"Have to say: I agree with Penrose's sentiment on politics. Not my thing." He tries to think how to press Faye for more information without annoying her but she clearly wants to get on with the task set her by Penrose. Harper motions towards the phone. "Sorry, go ahead."

[/section]

Shayuri

First Post
Chance strolled closer to Penrose and made a show of looking at the map on the table.

"You know, you never talk much about other magicians," she comments, glancing at him from the corners of her eyes. "I definitely get the sense there's some bad blood there, what with you living way out here on your own. Any tips on what kind of thing we should watch out for?"

Mosier

First Post
Agnasci doesn't see anywhere his input would be necessary during the explanation to Penrose. When Penrose is finished talking to the others, Agnasci will try to speak with him privately, out of earshot of the others.

"I'm getting involved in something that isn't exactly...above board. Nobody will be hurt or anything. Nobody who doesn't deserve it, anyway. The point is, I felt different about it. Not like I'm getting soft, but more like a feeling that it matters now." Agnasci seems to be struggling to define exactly what he's feeling, but putting it perfectly into words is beyond him.

Finally, he simply shrugs in defeat, sighs, and continues. "I don't know what I want you to say about it. I guess I'm just hoping you have some kind of insight, or some way I should look at it so it makes sense."

TillForPie

First Post
[section]
Harper nods as he considers what Faye has told him. He also wishes briefly that there was something he could do to pay her back for providing him a room; he knows it annoys her that Penrose dictated to her that he stay there. "Guardians of the Veil, huh? So they crack down on those mages throwing magic around willy-nilly? Like this Earnshaw, I guess." He glances back at the coffee pot as it starts perking.

"Have to say: I agree with Penrose's sentiment on politics. Not my thing." He tries to think how to press Faye for more information without annoying her but she clearly wants to get on with the task set her by Penrose. Harper motions towards the phone. "Sorry, go ahead."

[/section]
Faye nods and goes back to searching for the number.

Chance strolled closer to Penrose and made a show of looking at the map on the table.

"You know, you never talk much about other magicians," she comments, glancing at him from the corners of her eyes. "I definitely get the sense there's some bad blood there, what with you living way out here on your own. Any tips on what kind of thing we should watch out for?"
[sblock=Reading Penrose]Roll: Wits 3 - Empathy unskilled penalty 1 = Success with 1 success
Chance can tell she's touched a nerve[/sblock]Penrose doesn't respond immediately, and when he does Chance gets the sense she's touched a nerve. There likely is bad blood.

"I value my privacy," he begins, in what could be construed as either an explanation or a rejection of her musings altogether, Chance isn't entirely sure which. "You'll be fine. Most mages don't care what you do so long as it doesn't affect them."

Agnasci doesn't see anywhere his input would be necessary during the explanation to Penrose. When Penrose is finished talking to the others, Agnasci will try to speak with him privately, out of earshot of the others.

"I'm getting involved in something that isn't exactly...above board. Nobody will be hurt or anything. Nobody who doesn't deserve it, anyway. The point is, I felt different about it. Not like I'm getting soft, but more like a feeling that it matters now." Agnasci seems to be struggling to define exactly what he's feeling, but putting it perfectly into words is beyond him.

Finally, he simply shrugs in defeat, sighs, and continues. "I don't know what I want you to say about it. I guess I'm just hoping you have some kind of insight, or some way I should look at it so it makes sense."
Once Penrose has finished his conversation with Chance, Agnasci approaches and asks his question. Penrose's initial, unhesitant response is "If it involves sleepers I don't care. Just don't expect me to bail you out." He seems to realize how harsh his instinctual reply was and he sighs and consents to stand and step aside to a far corner of the room with Agnasci.

He puts a hand on Agnasci's shoulder and stares into his student's eyes. It's a personal moment between the two men, probably the most personal moment they've shared, and Agnasci can't help but feel like he's being analyzed by his mentor. "I'll tell you the same thing I told the others: You're going to have to decide between Orlando and Agnasci." His fingers squeeze into Agnasci's shoulder to emphasize his next point. "Everything you've ever done has been in service to the Lie, Agnasci. Everything except awaken." Penrose has never spoken of the Lie before and Agnasci doesn't know entirely what he's talking about. "When you were a sleeper you understood and thought as a child. When you awaken you put away your childish things." Agnasci may determine Penrose's twisting of the bible passage to be nonsense, but Penrose has a certain gravitas when he says it.

He releases his student from his grip.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper watches Faye for a few moments as he sips his coffee. Between his nap that afternoon and the coffee he expects to be wired for hours to come. Which is good because who knows how long this lesson will last. As he stands there he feels an itch, a need to be out under the night sky, baying at the moon or some such thing. He grins at his own folly and goes back to contemplating Faye.

Suddenly compelled to speak he ask, "Why do you do it? All this, I mean." He motions with his free hand to encompass Penrose's lair.

[/section]

TillForPie

First Post
Faye looks past Harper, at the door to Penrose's study. "He needs me." She looks at Harper briefly. "Besides, once you know the truth you can't go back to living a lie." She stands, phonebook and cell phone in hand. "I need to make this call." Harper watches Faye head to the staircase that leads up to the shop, pretty sure she hasn't found the number yet.

Remove ads