• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nearing 100000 members - How did you find En World?

Edgewood

First Post
At the time of writing this thread, I see the En World community counter is at 99998. Since we're about to cross the 100000 number, I was wondering. How did you first hear about En World? What was the RPG market like when you joined and what were the hot topics?

I joined in June 2004. 3.5 was a year old and Paizo I believe were already publishing Dragon and Dungeon Magazine. I remember hearing about this site from a player in my group who nearly fell out of his chair when I told him I had never heard of EnWorld before. Anyway, I took a look at the site before creating an account to get a feel for the community. I was impressed by the community in that the moderators did a good job of enforcing the site rules, ensuring that EnWorlders kept the site family friendly while allowing good discussion and debate. Now, I don't post much on this site (clearly) but when I do I can always expect good conversation.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I really do not remember when I joined, but this is my third username on these forums. I think I started just when 3E was coming out, in an attempt to learn more about the game, including it ins and outs.

I have never been a bit poster, as my post count will show (only 3300 or so counting all three names here) but I read it almost everyday.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I joined way back in 2000 I think. This is my second username and don't remember my first one. I heard that this had "all the news" for 3e which came out so I frequently came by to check on the various stuff, but Gaming Report drew me away from this site when it was reporting everyday.

I kind of was not into posting when I first joined because when I asked a couple of rules questions, all I got as a response was "RTFM". Sheesh...

I know it was before May of 2000, though I don't recall the exact route I took to find Eric Noah's 3rd Edition D&D News and Rumors site. But I loved the place, and after I saw Piratecat post some stories about his party's adventures in a city called Eversink I wrote up the 17 chapters of a game I had played in, which became the Savannah Knights storyhour.

Later I got involved in the messageboard effort to create the 'Daemonforge' setting along with some chap with the screen name morrus. Some time in spring or summer 2001 I posted my fake spoilers of what was in Tome & Blood, which people liked so much they insisted I write some of those things. I collaborated with morrus on the Asgard free web magazine for a few months as I was off school for summer break.

I don't know if it was summer of '01 or the next year that folks decided to host the ENnies for the first time, but I thought it was in the chat room on the nascent EN World site, which then was mostly just for Daemonforge. I could be misremembering.

And then in the fall morrus and I got it in our heads to try an actual for-sale product. We tried pitching to Mongoose, decided they weren't paying enough, and founded Natural 20 Press to do it ourselves. January of '02 we released Wild Spellcraft, April or May we released the crazy successful Tournaments, Fairs, & Taverns, and then that summer put out Four-Color to Fantasy, a superhero supplement for D20.

I think it was some time either that summer or in '03 that Eric Noah decided to hand over the reins to morrus, and he transferred the messageboards -- the heart of the community -- over to EN World's site, and I think I started the (I believe) 17th ever thread, which was a repost of Savannah Knights. And that's how I came to EN World.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I joined the WotC boards in 2002 mostly to discuss gaming in the Dragonlance setting. They had the most active DL board back then. And it was the most active setting board after FR. Nowadays it's almost totally deserted. That started when they shafted the novel discussion section. Don't remember when that ended.

Anyway, I kept hearing people mention this place. Seemed cool. So I joined up.

aurance

Explorer
Back when it was Eric Noah's 3rd edition rumor site or whatever it was called. It's a little depressing just how long ago that was (where'd my years go?)...

samursus

Explorer
When I first heard rumours about 4e, (I stopped playing shortly after 3.5) I did a Google search and ended up here. When all the preview information started showing up here I was hooked.

100001!!!!

RSKennan

Explorer
I used to read a Yahoo group about rpg design. I can't remember what it was called. When someone posted about the WotC contest, someone in the same thread mentioned this place. I came over. Even though I rarely post, it's one of my favorite sites.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads