• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Neat Pathfinder-like Alternative

Voadam

Legend
I just saw a new product on rpgnow, The Tome of the Lost Realms Campaign Setting. Looks like a Pathfinder-like all in one 3.5 variant complete rule system and campaign setting. It has an 81 page preview sample that includes the races and classes (well the preview cuts off mid-paladin).

They went with +2 on two racial stats for most races which is a power bump like Pathfinder does and they have aasimar in there without LA I think.

The classes are core classes plus a warlock class, but they use talent trees at every odd level for a lot of class abilities and it looks like a psion modeled spell point system for magics.

Worth checking out.

The whole thing is apparently 670 pages so I expect they crammed in the whole srd. It also looks like they cut out copy/paste ability on the pdf though it works on the sample.

Fairly cheap and some neat alternatives are pushing me to pick it up, the no copy ability is a real downer though.

Caedrus

Explorer
I used to play in a group with the author of this. We all did some of the preliminary design work on the world and John filled in most of the rest. Last I saw it was a lot less than 670 pages so it looks like he has added a lot to it. It's kinda neat to see something online for sale that I was involved in.

kcmopd1913

First Post
I will be doing another update soon to the setting, so make sure you set the loggin where ever you bought it to recieve emails about updates and I'll make sure I get the copy/paste thing fixed.

Here are some info on mechanics to the setting for those who don't have it yet.

Races: No more LA. It was too dare confusing, especially for beginners. I hated it, so I did away with it. You can take special racial abilities (like resistances, spell-like abilities, spell resistance, etc....) in place of feat slots. So you can play your favorite races like drow (a.k.a. Night Elves in this setting) at 1st level without problems. Races that were really never played (i.e. the half-orc) are worth playing. Oh by the way, their movement is 40 ft, watch out for the half-orc barbarian with the fast movement talent, 50 ft at level 1. Even worse watch out for a half-orc monk! Ever see a halfling move 30ft without any magical enhancements? You will in this setting. There are many race and sub-races you can play, minotaurs, half-giants, half-ogres, deep gnomes, etc...

Classes: There are elven core class in the setting. At every level, every class either gains a talent or a feat, no more dead levels! The Sorcerer was replace by the Warlock, and he kicks a$$. He not a sub-par wizard, like the Sorcerer was.

Skills: The skill system is similar to SWSE, but has some of the makings of Pathfinder Alpha 1.0, except the names of the skills are different. It real quick and easy to figure out skills. The "I don't need to roll because I can't fail" mantra is gone (example: Tumbling thru a threatened square, a.k.a. Acrobatics is 10 + the creatures HD). So it can be easier or harder depending on the opponent, and the players don't automatically know if they were successful.

Feats: Added some feats and adjusted some others making them worth selecting.

Rules: Multiple attacks as a standard action. You can move your normal movement and get a full attack. I believe if you have a high enough BaB, a skilled warrior can move and strike his foe with a full attack. This makes the martial classes just as deadly as spellcasters. The monk's flurry is still a full-round action though. ; Anyways it works great! Here is free hint, beware of trolls!!!! Yes monsters can do the same! ;)

Special combat maneuvers are simplier (i.e. grapple, sunder, bull rush, etc...). Turn undead deals damage. Undead do not flee, that fight! Well intelligent undead might flee. :) But you can sneak attack and crit them. There are only a few things you can't sneak attack and crit (like oozes, slimes, jellies, etc...).

Spells: No more save or suck (die) spells. Their save or dying now.

Thats just things off the top of my head. I really hope everyone enjoys it. Feel free to post thing you like or dislike. I'll see how it plays out.

On a side note I will be putting out adventures about once a month to every other month for it, including adventure paths.

Sincerly,
Anfalas, the One True God (at least in this setting :) )

Last edited:

kcmopd1913

First Post
Writing: For the most part (except OGC that I used), but there are other authors that had input into the setting and are credited. Editing: A friend of my took that gig. So thats why I say leave your setting to receive emails about updates.

Last edited:

Samuel Leming

First Post
kcmopd1913 said:
Writing: For the most part (except OGC that I used), but there are other authors that had input into the setting and are credited. Editing: A friend of my took that gig. So thats why I say leave your setting to receive emails about updates.
Wulf is being diplomatic. I'll be blunt. Based on these two posts here, English does not appear to be your first language.

Sam

Last edited:

Lizard

Explorer
Samuel Leming said:
Wulf is being diplomatic. I'll be blunt. Based on these two posts here, English does not appear to be your first language.

Sam

Uhm, yeah.

Also, I hope the warlock has nothing in common with the Complete Arcane class but the name...remember that none of the splats are OGC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads