• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer Games' Clark Peterson swears off 4E, says "Pathfinder is the D&D I love"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Right now, Microlite20 is D&D for my young nephews and me. B-)

But so is Pathfinder. Pathfinder is my D&D.

True20 is my D&D (sometimes, especially if D&D wants to wear a deerstalker hat through the fog-choked Limehouse streets).

And (go figure) so is D&D. D&D is my D&D. I still love you the most-est 1e AD&D Fiend Folio!

Wait, what was the point of this again? :uhoh:

B-)

I'm sure Clark Peterson is a nice guy and all. Maybe even a great gamer. But what I'm less sure of is why his declaration of what game scratches his D&D itch is supposed to matter to me, or anyone else who posts here.

:confused:

To be fair, he made his declaration on the Paizo Pathfinder boards to an audience that would be happy to learn he is playing Pathfinder. That declaration was repeated here by the OP. It looks like he didn't plan on posting this on the EnWorld general forum for obvious reasons.

There are probably those, like myself, who had a great time playing Necromancer Games modules during 3.0/3.5's heyday, so there maybe those, like myself, who have chosen to play Pathfinder who are excited about the possibility of his involvement in creating 3rd party adventures for Pathfinder (although he hasn't made such announcement as of yet that I've seen).

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I think Paizo should hire Clark to devise a couple of cool phrases for advertising Pathfinder:

"It´s Pathfinder - but it´s also D&D! Confused? Your favourite game can be D&D, too!"

"100% of the people who own Necromancer games prefer Pathfinder to D&D!"

"I lost confidence in 4e over several months after being stoked, and so can you!"

:cool:

Honestly, i think Clarks changing attitude on the game was interesting to follow on the net. Happy gaming to him.
But i also admit that my reservoir for "let me tell you what is/isnt D&D" statements has been thoroughly drained over the last months.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Yes, he puts his pants on like anyone else...

Except when he puts on his pants, he makes gold records! :cool:

cowbell.jpg

B-)

Last edited:

Orcus

First Post
I am aware. But regardless it's going to spark/add fuel.

Only when someone pulls my posts from other boards and brings them here to build a fire. :)

If no one cared, why post what I said on Paizo boards over here? THAT person is starting the fire, not me.

I said "Now don't get me wrong. There are lots of things I like about 4E. But when push comes to shove and I have to choose a rules system to use for my home game its Pathfinder. 4E may work for you, I am not criticizing. But for me, its Pathfinder."

All I am talking about it me. You all are free to play however you want and you don't need me to tell you that.

I thought the Pathfinder peeps might want to know, so I posted there.

But nothing like the internet to pull a comment from one board post them on another board and start ranting and raving. Don't let me interfere with that, please. Get back to it!

By the way, hi to everyone I havent said hi to in a while :)

Orcus

First Post
I'm sure Clark Peterson is a nice guy and all. Maybe even a great gamer. But what I'm less sure of is why his declaration of what game scratches his D&D itch is supposed to matter to me, or anyone else who posts here.

:confused:

Thanks, and I am! But I didn't make any declaration here. Perhaps you should ask the OP why he thought it important to make a big deal about this (just kidding Alzrius). It certainly wasn't my idea...believe me.

Last edited:

guivre

First Post
All due respect for some in the thread....

But Clark Peterson is more than just some dude that likes Pathfinder better. Necromancer Games was a major 3PP during the 3.x era, influenced MANY games in many places around the world with his 3rd edition rules with 1st edition feel. They were among my favorite publishers for that era, and I won't sell any of my necro adventures, even though I have been paring down my 3.x library.

Does it matter to the masses what game he feels, in his heart, is closer to the D&D he likes to play? No.

Yes, he puts his pants on like anyone else... but if a heart surgeon and cardiovascular expert was talking about an alternative medicine product that may help reduce hypertension, I would listen even if I didn't agree.

Clark was a well respected publisher from the 3.x era whose opinion carries more weight than an average joe down the street. I may not agree with his opinion, but people can respect it.

He is precisely some dude who likes Pathfinder more than 4e. Elevating his opinion through a REALLY bad analogy to a cardiologist is ludicrous. If you want to make the experience argument, I have far more than he does. It's only barely possible for someone to have more.... but what's the point, they're aren't even close to the same thing.

The fact that Clark Peterson prefers a particular game more than another deserves absolutely no more respect than anyone else's opinion on the subject. He's just a guy that happens to like one game more than another.

I'm not being totally honest, his flip floppy attitude actually slants me to giving his opinion less credibility, not more. I feel safe in making the claim that had the GSL scenario played out the way he wanted he'd still be a 4e cheerleader.

Badwe

First Post
Clark,

does this mean there will be some necromancer games producst for pathfinder? Also, while your preference is known do you think there's any hope of Necro taking a stab at 4e, even if it's not your bread and butter?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Only when someone pulls my posts from other boards and brings them here to build a fire. :)
Thanks, Clark. That's appreciated. I'm having a ton of fun with Pathfinder as well as 4e. Holy crap-on-a-stick, it's fun to live in a time where there's a ton of choice; I can't remember another time when there were this many different systems I wanted to play all at once.

That being said, I've edited the thread title, but I see no purpose to this thread other than to fan the edition wars which we've already banned. Closed it goes. If you really think there's a reason it should stay open, folks, feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Klunk.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
* Clark Peterson's opinion shouldn't carry any additional weight for anyone.
* Clark Peterson's opinion is completely meaningless to me.
* Clark Peterson doesn't get to decide what D&D is.

Neither does anyone else's. Like it or not, "X is/isn't D&D" is an opinion expressed by a LARGE number of people both here and elsewhere. At least he's being polite about it and not slamming 4E players like many others do; he's simply stating his preference for Pathfinder on a Pathfinder messageboard.

And good for him! Nothing wrong with having a preference. We all have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads