D&D 5E Necromancer Games--What do you want us to make next?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Another vote for short adventures I could plug in to my games.

My vote for short adventures, there are never to many of these, ideally setting generic so I can drop it into Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, etc and with a blend of locales for urban, wilderness, sea, etc.

JTorres

First Post
We do sandbox adventures as well as anyone I think. What I am seeing as a trend so far is Quests of Doom III or even the same plus some very short side lairs etc. maybe sets of 1-2 encounter adventures similar to book of lairs.

Continuing the Quests of Doom series is a great idea and I hope that is what you guys opt to do. So far, Lycanthropes & Elementals and Bugs & Blobs have been my favorites so I hope to see those sets continued. I’m not sure what is meant by side lairs but a series of short encounters would be good, especially if they can be set-ups/hooks for bigger adventures.

Most of our stuff is "think, hack, and slay", with my own writing heavy on think. The role players out there should read our "men and monstrosities" chapter. The puzzle folks should read ants and Oasis in the bugs and blobs set, as well as all the Demons and Devils series. Let me know what you think about QOD 1-2 so far.

I ran Bad Moon Rising over the weekend and my players and I had a blast. As we wrapped up the session, one of the older players asked if I had run an old Ravenloft adventure, which I think speaks to the quality of Bad Moon. The players didn’t follow up on each little mystery in the adventure but they did manage to expose the old baron and put a stop to him in the end. The red herrings worked out pretty well though the PC group opted not to follow-up on Brisbois’ bandit connection after falsely accusing him of being a werewolf (it got them thrown out of the young baron’s manor though the young baron did honor his offer to the PCs to pay them to investigate the wolf attacks). A couple of lucky crits helped the PCs survived the old baron’s ambush at the end of the adventure and the PCs managed to capture Moreau who confessed to what truly happened the year prior. Apart from Bad Moon, I’ve read through The Darkening of Namjan Forest and The Noble Rot and I’ve begun prepping both adventures for our next sessions. In fact, I dropped a hook at the end of the adventure about Namjan Forest by having the PCs arrive at the baron’s manor as the baron received word from his liege lord, His Grace the Duke, that a disease was spreading in Namjan Forest and a rich reward and a noble title was being offered to anyone who could uncover the cause of the creeping darkness and put a stop to it. Also, I’ve earmarked Hidden Oasis as one of the adventures I’d like to run once the PC group is closer to it in level; it seems to be a good mix of mystery, puzzles, and combat which is exactly what I want to throw at my players. Overall, I like both books, particularly the inclusion of mystery and horror adventures. I stop short of offering a full review because I have read just a few of the adventures and I have only run one of them. For now, my impressions are that you all have hit on something really cool and desperately needed for 5th edition and I’d like to see it continued.

I am hearing 1) variety of style

If by this you mean genres like horror, mystery, plane-skipping, etc. then yes a variety is always nice. My personal preference is for mystery and horror though I know not everyone likes that.

2) portability

Not sure what is meant by this.

3) low level/generic home base

I’ve noticed quite a few posters asking for more low-level adventures. I agree a few more would be nice but there’s no need for a glut of them. The first four levels go by fairly quick so I’d like to see the focus stay on adventures between levels 5 – 15 with the occasional Masters of the World-tier adventure thrown in.

4) more think and interact (there will always be a use for that sword too!)

Definitely! I noticed that Hidden Oasis has got plenty of thinking bits mixed in with its combat encounters. I’ll be interested in seeing how my player group handles that adventure.

5) keep PDFs cheap, and black and white ( I really insist on hardcovers, they really are cheaper for you and low cost as 6 module or 12 module compilations, and book quality is just my thing)

I’m partial to box sets myself but hardcovers are fine too. What I’d really like to see is more artwork added, especially for the creatures unique (not in the MM or FEF) to the adventure, such as Miasmic Death, the Shadow King, etc. and for some of the unique magic items and artifacts.

What did I miss?

A sequel to Fifth Edition Foes would be great, especially if it contains more demon and devil lords and more high-level creatures in general. Also, after seeing some of the cool magic items and artifacts throughout Quests, a book dedicated to them would be interesting. Maybe some artifacts with backgrounds that have adventure hooks tied into them and some short encounters that can trigger a bigger quest for an artifact or unique magic item.

And thank you for the input (and the praise). We do this stuff to support our hobby. Even though we have made over 200 books over the last 15 years, we are still a bunch of folks with day jobs and kids (Evil Hat got it right, our orders are packed by us and our kids in my garage).

And thank you guys for reaching out to the community. I’m excited to see what you guys put out next. :)

wyrdone

First Post
My vote would be for more player material. All we have so far is the Player's Handbook, which is good, but a second book with some new races, feats, spells, etc... to choose from would motivate my group to actually switch over to 5th edition.

We like to have a lot of options to choose from and with one book of player material out for the foreseeable future no one else in my group is ithcing to switch over yet.

Zardnaar

Legend
Continuing the Quests of Doom series is a great idea and I hope that is what you guys opt to do. So far, Lycanthropes & Elementals and Bugs & Blobs have been my favorites so I hope to see those sets continued. I’m not sure what is meant by side lairs but a series of short encounters would be good, especially if they can be set-ups/hooks for bigger adventures.

I ran Bad Moon Rising over the weekend and my players and I had a blast. As we wrapped up the session, one of the older players asked if I had run an old Ravenloft adventure, which I think speaks to the quality of Bad Moon. The players didn’t follow up on each little mystery in the adventure but they did manage to expose the old baron and put a stop to him in the end. The red herrings worked out pretty well though the PC group opted not to follow-up on Brisbois’ bandit connection after falsely accusing him of being a werewolf (it got them thrown out of the young baron’s manor though the young baron did honor his offer to the PCs to pay them to investigate the wolf attacks). A couple of lucky crits helped the PCs survived the old baron’s ambush at the end of the adventure and the PCs managed to capture Moreau who confessed to what truly happened the year prior. Apart from Bad Moon, I’ve read through The Darkening of Namjan Forest and The Noble Rot and I’ve begun prepping both adventures for our next sessions. In fact, I dropped a hook at the end of the adventure about Namjan Forest by having the PCs arrive at the baron’s manor as the baron received word from his liege lord, His Grace the Duke, that a disease was spreading in Namjan Forest and a rich reward and a noble title was being offered to anyone who could uncover the cause of the creeping darkness and put a stop to it. Also, I’ve earmarked Hidden Oasis as one of the adventures I’d like to run once the PC group is closer to it in level; it seems to be a good mix of mystery, puzzles, and combat which is exactly what I want to throw at my players. Overall, I like both books, particularly the inclusion of mystery and horror adventures. I stop short of offering a full review because I have read just a few of the adventures and I have only run one of them. For now, my impressions are that you all have hit on something really cool and desperately needed for 5th edition and I’d like to see it continued.

If by this you mean genres like horror, mystery, plane-skipping, etc. then yes a variety is always nice. My personal preference is for mystery and horror though I know not everyone likes that.

Not sure what is meant by this.

I’ve noticed quite a few posters asking for more low-level adventures. I agree a few more would be nice but there’s no need for a glut of them. The first four levels go by fairly quick so I’d like to see the focus stay on adventures between levels 5 – 15 with the occasional Masters of the World-tier adventure thrown in.

Definitely! I noticed that Hidden Oasis has got plenty of thinking bits mixed in with its combat encounters. I’ll be interested in seeing how my player group handles that adventure.

I’m partial to box sets myself but hardcovers are fine too. What I’d really like to see is more artwork added, especially for the creatures unique (not in the MM or FEF) to the adventure, such as Miasmic Death, the Shadow King, etc. and for some of the unique magic items and artifacts.

A sequel to Fifth Edition Foes would be great, especially if it contains more demon and devil lords and more high-level creatures in general. Also, after seeing some of the cool magic items and artifacts throughout Quests, a book dedicated to them would be interesting. Maybe some artifacts with backgrounds that have adventure hooks tied into them and some short encounters that can trigger a bigger quest for an artifact or unique magic item.

And thank you guys for reaching out to the community. I’m excited to see what you guys put out next. :)

Are you stealing my plan? Great that you enjoyed Bad Moon Rising as thats my 1st QoD I am going to run.

froggie thanks for the communication at least 1 sale made due to this thread BTW. Spent the last few days digesting QoD.

Positive review posted here and on the WoTC forums.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?425233-Quests-of-Doom-an-OGL-5E-Adventures-Review

My vote would be for more player material. All we have so far is the Player's Handbook, which is good, but a second book with some new races, feats, spells, etc... to choose from would motivate my group to actually switch over to 5th edition.

We like to have a lot of options to choose from and with one book of player material out for the foreseeable future no one else in my group is ithcing to switch over yet.

yes and a Warlord class please....

JTorres

First Post
Are you stealing my plan? Great that you enjoyed Bad Moon Rising as thats my 1st QoD I am going to run.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?425233-Quests-of-Doom-an-OGL-5E-Adventures-Review

Let's call it great minds thinking alike. My original plan was to run The Darkening of Namjan Forest first and then Bad Moon but the more I looked at it, the more Namjan seemed a better follow-up adventure. Plus, scaling Namjan up a few levels of difficulty is fairly easy what with all the random encounters with the shadow-touched creatures. As for Bad Moon, I hope you enjoy running it. Also, I wonder if your PC group is going to catch on to the obsessive collecting of silver the town authorities do? Regardless of the hints I dropped, my group never bothered following up on it; it really bugged me that they never caught onto that!

Remove ads