• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Necromancer/Judge's Guild] Wilderlands campaign setting

Davelozzi

Explorer
I'm surprised by the lack of discussion about the Judge's Guild's Wilderlands campaign. Granted the player's guide has only been published recently, but with amount of good press Necromancer Games has gotten around here* and the amount of old school players on the boards, I would think that there would be a fair bit of interest. In fact, other than a brief mention in the MarkSpielman's thread about campaign settings, I haven't heard anything. I flipped through the player's guide and it looked pretty good, although I didn't have time for a detailed analysis.

Does anyone have an opinions about this setting, either in it's new Necromancer/JG incarnation or with the JG originals?

*Okay, I haven't heard as much about them lately but I used to see a lot of Necromancer support here.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If you look in the section on d20/OGL Publishers, there's a long thread about the guide. Seems to have been very well received.

I have the old City State of the Overlord (the Quik-link reprint) so I definitely plan on picking this setting up as soon as I can afford it (which unfortunately won't be any time soon).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Davelozzi said:
Does anyone have an opinions about this setting, either in it's new Necromancer/JG incarnation or with the JG originals?

I started using the original setting when I started my campaign about 3 months ago.

I picked up the new book and my players and I like it a lot. It did require a few new house rules and some changes for the PCs, but we voted on it and the players seem to be very happy with it. :)

However, I dislike the fact that the original schedule has slipped quite a few months for every one of the JG books. I think it shows a lack of integrity (which many gaming companies have with regard to keeping schedules) to advertise a book release for a given time frame and to not meet that time frame. Of course, the company cheerleaders (every company has them) will tell you that this is because they are working hard to make them even better. :rolleyes:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Dungeon #107 will have a lengthy analysis of this product by yours truly. I won't go into further detail here (my thoughts on the subject are varied and complex), but I wanted to let you know to look out for it if you're still wondering about the product in a couple of weeks.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

Tsyr

Explorer
KarinsDad said:
I think it shows a lack of integrity (which many gaming companies have with regard to keeping schedules) to advertise a book release for a given time frame and to not meet that time frame. Of course, the company cheerleaders (every company has them) will tell you that this is because they are working hard to make them even better. :rolleyes:

Or, just, you know, s*** happens. If you gave a projected release date for a product you had just started writing, and when that date came around you were only 2/3 finished... What would you do? Just release it? Do that once and gamers will abandon you in droves. Do it twice and you are financially dead. Its the same reason movies slip release dates, and regular books, and video games, and pretty much everything else. All those original dates are is a best guess. If you place much stock in them, your only fooling yourself. The only valid way to read them is "Not before this date, but possibly sometime after."

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I finally got the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands on Wednesday, and I love it. Of course, I haven't used the setting to play a game yet, and I'm still reading it over, but for what it's worth, here are some preliminary thoughts.

There is something about the overall feel of Wilderlands (this current incarnation--I don't know anything about the original) that is exactly what I have been looking for in a campaign setting. The lands between the city states are sparsely settled, and most people don't know much about the past other than vague history that more resembles myth. The setting, at least so far, is vague enough that a DM can easily fit their own stories into it. I can best explain what I mean by comparing Wilderlands to two well known and beautifully produced settings--Kalamar and FR. In both of those, every tiny corner of the world is detailed. There isn't any room for exploration. On the other hand, I think I'll easily be able to make Wilderlands my own.

Now, as regards this:
KarinsDad said:
I think it shows a lack of integrity (which many gaming companies have with regard to keeping schedules) to advertise a book release for a given time frame and to not meet that time frame.
You do know that most people who run D20 companies do it in their spare time, yes? I agree that it can be disappointing when a book you're longing for is late. But there are so many factors beyond a publisher's control and then there is the fact that most of them have spouses and children that they would like to spend time with, in between the day job and the labor of love, that delays aren't really surprising. I, too, wish many publishers would be more realistic in the dates they set, but I don't think it's a lack of integrity, rather it's a case of setting an unrealistic goal for themselves. To suggest that a book being late demonstrates that a company isn't on the up and up goes a tad far, don't you think?

johnsemlak

First Post
One question just dawned on me, is the Wilderlands Player's GUide a d20 system or OGL product? It has rules modifying advancement, doesn't it?

Definitely can't wait to get this one.

I think it shows a lack of integrity (which many gaming companies have with regard to keeping schedules) to advertise a book release for a given time frame and to not meet that time frame.
As said above, that's quite harsh.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
I will almost certainly pick up the box set when it comes out, but I have a question to those who have the Player's Guide: Is there anything in the PG that I must have? I thumbed through it in the store and I didn't see anything that seemed critical. Given the costs involved, I'd prefer to just get the box set (especially since JG has been saying that some locations have sold out of the PG).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Clark Peterson of Necromancer Games indicated on the Necromancer boards that the release of the City State of the Invincible Overlord is due out in the first quarter of next year. Others in the same thread speculated April of 2004.

Apparently, Necromancer is still in the process of determining their 2004 schedule so no firm dates have been announced yet on any of their products for next year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads