• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer

hornedturtle

First Post
I was planning on making a character based around having a army of undead at his disposal. What class or classes would be best for such a build? The Undead Servant Looks interesting but I'm not it would be able to make up for the greater numbers a cleric could create, control and be able to heal.

Kurashu

First Post
Monk 1/Cleric 2/Master of Shrouds 10/Bone Knight 7 would be alright if I'm thinking straight, maybe grab Contemplative 1 for an extra domain; Dread Necromancer 8/Pale Master 10/PrC X.

Other advice:
  • Do not, I repeat DO NOT, use the True Necromancer. It's just not true enough. A mystic theurge is a better true necromancer.
  • And pick up a Slaymate, it's from Libris Mortis and empowers all necromantic spells in its aura (I think).
  • Cast desecrate a lot. Construct shrines to Nerull or some other evil deity (shrink object?).
  • Grab the corpsecrafter feats, make your dead undead go BOOM!
  • If you do go Dread Necro, get Tomb Tainted or become Necropolitan. Convince your party mates to do the same. Free healing ist krieg. =D

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Just to clarify the second link Tome of Necromancy is to fan produced material designed to fill the Necromancer Gap of the RAW. It's fan produced not WoTC produced just to let you know in case that matters under your circumstances.

That aside the Tome of Necromancy is a really good resource for Necromancer related stuff that can actually work alongside other classes without being gimped.

moritheil

First Post
I've heard good things about Master of Shrouds, and the Mother Cyst feat from LM.

3e Pale Master used to be a passable dip but no longer.

One important thing to figure out early on is what your DM thinks of items, feats, and spells that boost the number of undead you can control. If he or she is dead set against it, you may want to rethink playing a necromancer. Obviously this also applies if one of your fellow players is trying to be exalted, play a paladin, etc.

Something to watch out for: Summon Undead spells do not involve you creating undead, so if you want to avoid the hassle of making a path for your undead minions, you're actually better off as a conjurer.

frankthedm

First Post
Well, Heroes of Horror Has the Dread Necromancer class that is a nice 20 level road to lichdom. The might be other ways to eke out more power from a build, but less fussing with this class and that class has its charm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads