• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancers of the World Unite!

Siegfried Niemand

First Post
Greetings.

I am about to run a 3.5 conversion of the old Return to the Tomb of Horrors adventure, and in preparation discovered that I'd like to fill out some of the books that can be found in one of the adventure's libraries. Particularly, I'm looking for 1-paragraph histories and biographies of famous necromancers, particularly those of Oerth (but I'd also like the big necromantic players of all the major campaigns out there). Any links or responses would be appreciated. If you'd like to submit your own character, please do so only for Greyhawk.

As thanks, here's conversions for all of the other Necromantic Lore books from 2e's Complete Book of Necromancers (the Nycoptic Manuscripts appearing in Libris Mortis).

The Art of Necromancy: This heavy tome was penned by a renowned scholar of the ancient Necromancer Kings of the Ruined Kingdoms. It contains an encyclopedic description of the undead, along with a description of their special powers and weaknesses. The Art of Necromancy grants its possessor a +5 competence bonus on Knowledge (religion) checks that deal with identifying undead creatures as long as the character can take 1d4 rounds to find the proper reference.

Moderate necromancy; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must have 5 ranks in the Knowledge (religion) skill; Price 2,500 gp; Weight 7 lb.

The Book of Shadows: Dictated by a master necromancer to his undead shadow minions while imprisoned before his execution, this account of black necromancy is filled with details of dark rites and summoning rituals. When used as an additional arcane focus, this book grants its user a +2 bonus to a character’s caster level when using animate dead, create greater undead, create undead, greater planar binding, lesser planar binding, and planar binding.

Moderate conjuration [evil]; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must have 5 ranks in the Knowledge (the planes) skill; Price 5,000 gp; Weight 5 lb.

The Eleven Baneful Gates: This ancient scroll is thought to contain the secret of immortality, symbolized by eleven tests or riddles. Any arcane or divine caster of 11th level or higher who succeeds on both a DC 23 Knowledge (arcana) check and a DC 25 Knowledge (religion) check learns that the Eleven Baneful Gates can supply 4,800 XP for the creation of a lich’s phylactery. Once the phylactery is finished (at the usual cost of 120,000 gp), the writing on the scroll fades and the parchment is consumed in flames. When the scrolls’ ashes are mixed with wine and drunk, the imbiber dies and rises as a lich.

Strong necromancy; CL 20th; Craft Wondrous Item, crate greater undead; Price 7,750 gp; Cost 4,150 gp + 5,088 XP; Weight 1 lb.

The Fabric of the Humanoid Body: This oversized book is a comprehensive monograph about the structure and function of the humanoid body. It is recognized as one of the most thorough and accurate texts on humanoid anatomy and contains dozens of drawings depicting dissected cadavers. As long as the character can take 1d4 rounds to find the proper reference, a character with access to this work gains a +5 competence bonus on Heal checks performed on humanoids.

Moderate necromancy; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must have 5 ranks in the Heal skill; Price 2,500 gp; Weight 7 lb.

Ferranifer’s Blood Codex: This evil tome is bound in black leather and penned with a crisp, feminine hand in crimson ink. Within its pages are the secrets to becoming a free-willed vampire, though both a DC 17 Knowledge (arcana) check and a DC 17 Knowledge (religion) check are required to understand the text. The ritual described therein takes thirteen days and requires 8,000 gp worth of esoteric materials to complete, after which characters of 5th level or higher gain the vampire template, while those of 4th or lower become vampire spawn.

Moderate necromancy; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, create undead; Price 89,450 gp; Weight 5 lb.

The Necrophidicon: In much the same fashion as a golem manual provides instructions that help a character craft a golem, the Necrophidicon aids in the creation of a necrophidius (Fiend Folio 126). The book contains geas/quest, hold person, hypnotism, and Mordenkainen’s faithful hound. The reader may treat her caster level as two levels higher than normal for the purpose of crafting a necrophidius. The book supplies 100 XP for the creation of a necrophidius.

Moderate conjuration and enchantment; CL 10th; Craft Construct, creator must be caster level 10th, geas/quest, hold person, hypnotism,Mordenkainen’s faithful hound; Price 2,000 gp; Cost 200 gp + 105 XP; Weight 5 lb.

On Coming Forth By Day: This divine tome has been compiled over countless generations by the clerics of deities who rule over both the dead and the undead. Those clerics who meditate upon this tome’s contents while preparing their daily spells may choose to exchange access to one of their normal domains for access to the Death domain for 24 hours. If the cleric already has access to the Death domain, that character gains two additional uses per day of the domain’s granted power.

Strong necromancy; CL 20th; Craft Wondrous Item, access to the Death domain; Price 160,000 gp; Weight 5 lb.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I have a necromancer I made with care and consideration for his backstory that may be of some interest (at least as a subject for a book). His name is Ruslan Bonescriber. He is the great-grandson of a annis hag, a hateful and power-hungry man that considers his work on necromancy to be all he needs in life.

His spellbook is a nasty one, and could be of use to any budding necromancer, if it is included. Also, as an alternate "book," his skeletal minion Clatterbones is inscribed all over with his accumulated knowledge on necromany, albeit laid out in a dry and boring fashion. The link above is to his character sheet, and I hope it may prove useful to you. Let me know if it is!

Last edited:

Satori

First Post
Three words.

Ok, three syllables.

Gar'Udok (reference from "Necromancer's Legacy")

Also, don't forget Szass Tam (Zulkir of Necromancy in Faerun), the Count from Karnath is Eberron, and darn near everyone in Ravenloft.

Matafuego

Explorer
There's a player who plays a necromancer IMC and has been playing him for the last eight years. In the last years he's become a lot the academician guy who searches for lost and forbidden tomes and he's even written some treatises on Undead Grafts and Becoming Immortal (but you have that covered with the Lich and Vampire books and his book is just investigation and hasn't reached any conclusions yet).
I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not, but THANKS A LOT for those books!

Siegfried Niemand

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
I have a necromancer I made with care and consideration for his backstory that may be of some interest (at least as a subject for a book). His name is Ruslan Bonescriber. He is the great-grandson of a annis hag, a hateful and power-hungry man that considers his work on necromancy to be all he needs in life.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

Szass Tam (Zulkir of Necromancy in Faerun

But what exacty is a Zulkir of Necromancy? I've never done the whole FR thing, so is he a ruler of some country like Greyhawk's Vecna was before Kas betrayed him? Just a sentance or two is all I need, like you'd use to convince someone they needed to read a book about the fellow, but the more info the better.

Anyone else got any?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
In Faerun, the country of Thay is run by wizards that are preminent in the skills of each school (abjuration, necromancy, and so on). Such a person is called a zulkir, and there is only one for each school. Szass Tam is part of what is essentially the ruling council of the country of Thay. And he's a lich to boot, power-hungry and secure in the supremecy of being undead.

Anyways, I have another one for you. This one isn't a wizard, but a young cleric of Wee Jas named Lydia Shardweaver. She has great love for the dead, brought on by a tragic childhood, and wants to create the perfect undead companion that will never leave her.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads