Necromancy and AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZapp

Legend
I truly think the Necromancer is a role you should only select after discussing it with your DM, so you can be reasonably sure of getting what you want.

Since there isn't a single deciding DM to talk to in organized play, I would recommend against playing this kind of role, unless you're satisfied with very meagre results.

The Necromancer is simply too dependent on implicit DM approval.

RulesJD

First Post
I truly think the Necromancer is a role you should only select after discussing it with your DM, so you can be reasonably sure of getting what you want.

Since there isn't a single deciding DM to talk to in organized play, I would recommend against playing this kind of role, unless you're satisfied with very meagre results.

The Necromancer is simply too dependent on implicit DM approval.

Lets assume that people have read the earlier parts of this thread and they realize that no, it isn't dependent on implicit DM approval any more than any other playstyle. The biggest problems with the playstyle are largely the mechanics of having one player hog all the combat/RP time, so I'm looking for suggestions on efficient minionmancy.

One suggestion I've already gotten was to have other players roll for some of the skeletons (I'll be sticking mostly to archers).

Cascade

First Post
Lets assume that people have read the earlier parts of this thread and they realize that no, it isn't dependent on implicit DM approval any more than any other playstyle. The biggest problems with the playstyle are largely the mechanics of having one player hog all the combat/RP time, so I'm looking for suggestions on efficient minionmancy.

One suggestion I've already gotten was to have other players roll for some of the skeletons (I'll be sticking mostly to archers).

I've seen 2 different instances with a player playing undead late in tier 2. Each time the judge was fairly liberal with their use and the party seemed fine with it.

I'd recommend just keeping to one target, roll all of the dice together and use the average damage value. It will move pretty quick.
Use a bag of holding to keep the extra gear; weapons, clothes, disguises, etc.

Just be reasonable and work with your judge. Like all things, some will work with you and some won't, just keep your cool and have other avenues incase.

They also make good speed bumps just holding a place with a readied action.

Also, if you think you'll have 2+ minions - have very different minis for instant recognition; nothing worse than having a judge having a difference of opinion on which guys took damage previous rounds because they all look alike.

Ultimately, like any aspect of this game; if you abuse it, you'll lose it. Just enjoy the taboo. The role playing ops are endless - skeleton servants dressed up in gaudy clothes, a skeletal arms-man who actually wears and carries the weapons inside him, your servants offer up free labor where ever you stay; mopping floors, digging ditches, cutting wood, etc., a skeletal fisherman that catches the fish inside his rib cage, I've seen the skeletal pirate crew. Also, make some collars with arcane runes and tell people they are magically controlled to ease their worries...you're not just another run of the mill necromancer. Tons of stuff...

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The role playing ops are endless - skeleton servants dressed up in gaudy clothes, a skeletal arms-man who actually wears and carries the weapons inside him, your servants offer up free labor where ever you stay; mopping floors, digging ditches, cutting wood, etc., a skeletal fisherman that catches the fish inside his rib cage, I've seen the skeletal pirate crew. Also, make some collars with arcane runes and tell people they are magically controlled to ease their worries...you're not just another run of the mill necromancer. Tons of stuff...

Then when Strahd shows up while you're asleep and orders your skeletons to murder random villagers, the shock and horror will be that much greater!

--
Pauper

RulesJD

First Post
Awesome ideas! I'm loving the one about offering free labor in exchange for food and shelter. Likewise for the collars.

Sadly I don't have a bag of holding, but I'm thinking of salvaging some heavy crossbows to up their damage die. Still not sure how their proficiencies should be adjudicated though.

RulesJD

First Post
Then when Strahd shows up while you're asleep and orders your skeletons to murder random villagers, the shock and horror will be that much greater!

--
Pauper

Because that's definitely how the spell and Strahd's abilities work in the villages of Barovia!!!

Oh wait, no, no it's not. Go back to your homebrew DMing.

Cascade

First Post

--
Pauper

I would hope from an NPC story side Strahd commands more than some low level skeletons...

Does he pay well?

And besides, they're all soul-less anyways...(the villagers that is)

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I would hope from an NPC story side Strahd commands more than some low level skeletons...

Strahd doesn't need any, but he'll happily use yours, since you were so generous to bring them to him. Such a thoughtful gift!

And besides, they're all soul-less anyways...(the villagers that is)

Ah, so you know where you'll get your replacement skeletons from, then. I recommend Ireena.

--
Pauper

discosoc

First Post
My problem with these kinds of characters is that they basically force the GM into a corner. Either they hand-wave some things to make the concept work for the sake of the player, or they keep it "realistic" and the character will probably get burned at the stake pretty quickly.

Basically, players always have "unique" ideas to make their characters viable for this stuff, but they get upset as soon as things don't go their way.

RulesJD

First Post
My problem with these kinds of characters is that they basically force the GM into a corner. Either they hand-wave some things to make the concept work for the sake of the player, or they keep it "realistic" and the character will probably get burned at the stake pretty quickly.

Basically, players always have "unique" ideas to make their characters viable for this stuff, but they get upset as soon as things don't go their way.

This is the land of Barovia. A literal land of undead. People see more weird stuff happen in a day than regular Forgotten Realms people do in a year. No, I'm not that worried. No, it doesn't force a DM into a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads