• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a cool monster name

Ravilah

Explorer
Okay, I need an intimidating name for a cloud/ice dragon (a cross with a white dragon and a cloud drake). Not a species name, but a personal name. The dragon is female, and she's so powerful that a group of titans have to keep her in check.

The PCs aren't actually going to face her (at least not now at 8th level) but the threat of her is going to hang over their heads.

Anyone out there better with names than I am?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Grendlesmodor.

Contraction of "Grendles modor" -- Grendel's mother, arguably the most singly dangerous of Beowulf's opponents. She is not named in the Saga of Beowulf.

It rolls off the tongue as something ominous yet familar as a single word. And you can play with the pronunciation, e.g. "Gren-dless-moo-door". (Or "Grindell's mutha" if you want to be silly.)

In these old myths, the concept of species is a little vague so some kind of terrible monster can spawn some other kind of terrible monster.

A touch of Norse would seem to fit.

Richards

Legend
Some off-the-top-of-my-head suggestions:

Sleetstorm (invokes both ice and clouds, after the dragon types)

Borealix (patterned after "Aurora Borealis" - the northern lights)

Johnathan (not a suggestion, just me signing my posts like always)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
"Johnathan" would be too scary. What if your players met a "Johnathan" in real life? They might scream and run away and fail the job interview.

Some synonyms for cold:
algid, arctic, below freezing, below zero, benumbed, biting, bitter, blasting, bleak, boreal, brisk, brumal, chill, chilled, cool, crisp, cutting, freezing, frigid, frore, frosty, frozen, gelid, glacial, hiemal, hyperborean, icebox, iced, icy, inclement, intense, keen, nipping, nippy, numbed, numbing, penetrating, piercing, polar, raw, rimy, severe, sharp, shivery, sleety, snappy, snowy, stinging, wintry

Combine these with a dragon-related noun and you get names like:
Iceclaw
Wintersnarl
Chillheart
Freezingdeath
Snowtalon
Bleakeyes
Wingfrost

Also, some of the names of the sample white dragons in the Draconomicon:
Rime
Hrymgird
Kalkol