• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a CR for Exploding Undead Template

ValarX

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
Why not base the DC on HD of the undead.

When I think of how this actually effects the person who gets hit by it, I almost always see some type of poison-like effect, like undead goo leaking into you or maybe just a chilling feeling in the area. In fact, I think of the entire template almost like a plaugue, feeding off of the living, infecting them, and then spreading by finding more living to feed off of. Since poisons or diseases don't have variable saving throws, I wouldn't see why this one would have it. Just my opinion, the actual effect could be something entirely different.

Grishnak

First Post
The reason I went for the 1d6 was in my thoughts that yes the bone shards are like daggers but also they are imbued with negative energy doing the extra damage. As for the last post the description makes me shudder just for the players hehe :D

wighair

Explorer
It wasn't a template, but there was an effect similar to this in a Dungeon mag adventure (who's name escapes me) featuring a temple of ilmater from about a year ago i think.

One thing to consider is the "critical mass" aspect might even lower the CR under some circumstances. If you get a room full of these and pop enough of 'em together first, the rest will follow in bone-dust-domino fashion as the blash rushes around the room mexican wave style.

Remove ads