• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a good name for a band of orcs

Set

First Post
Falling Rock Clan (in an area prone to avalanches)

High Death (living in the mountains, they see themselves as 'above' the lowlands they raid)

Red Night Reavers (like many darkvision-having races, they like to raid at night, and 'paint the night red' with the blood of their victims)

Garnok's Goblin-Stompers (a rite of passage among the warriors is to capture a goblin and stomp it to death during the initiation in an enthusiastic drug-enhanced war-dance. As local goblin populations have waned, it's become acceptable to buy one from slavers, rather than go out and hunt one up personally...)

If this particular orc clan has a favored weapon or a favored god or a favored animal, a name based on that could serve as an identifier.

Spear Runs Red clan uses spears, preferentially, and even has a surprisingly well-organized second line of longspear wielding females who follow their menfolk into battle and strike at foes their mates are fighting face to face.

Black Wing clan has females and elders who train ravens to harry their targets in battle. It's a relatively minor advantage, since ravens kinda suck in combat, but it's their signature 'thing,' and now that they've begun to hatch a brood of bloodhawks, they might surprise the heck out of the next group to dismiss their feathered friends as a minor nuisance.

The Boar Tusk Raiders train war boars. Being a mountain clan, perhaps mountain goats would make more sense... Ram's Horn Raiders?

In 1st edition, from what I recall, all of the orc tribe names seemed to be graphic descriptions of something on their war-banners, like Bloody Hand Clan or Burning Eye or Black Mailed Fist Company.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The Ashen Reavers are so named for their tradition of ritualistic self-scarification. They heat up the blades of their weapons, then slice designs into their own skin, simultaneously cauterizing the wounds and staining them black with soot. Each tribesman has a distinctive pattern covering most of his body, with each element earned for a feat performed in battle. A "decorated warrior" is just that - covered head to toe with symbols of his prowess.
-blarg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sgt. Gornok's Bloody Hearts War-Band

It was twenty years ago today,
Sgt. Gornok taught the band to slay
They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to kill a smile.
So may I introduce to you
The tribe you've feared for all these years,
Sgt. Gornok's Bloody Hearts War-Band!
We're Sgt. Gornok's Bloody Hearts War-Band,
We slay where ere we go,
We're Sgt. Gornok's Bloody Hearts War-Band,
So flee and let your entrails go.
Sgt. Gornok's Bloody, Sgt. Gornok's Bloody,
Sgt. Gornok's Bloody Hearts War-Band.
It's wonderful to be here,
It's certain we will kill.
You're such a soft and meaty bunch,
We'd like to break your bones for lunch,
We'd love to break your bones.
I don't really want to stop the show,
But I thought that you might like to know,
That our shaman's going to sing a song,
And he wants you all to sing along.
So let me introduce to you
The one and only Foe-bane Spears...
And Sgt. Gornok's Bloody Hearts War-Band!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads