• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a list of all D&Disms

Eosin the Red

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
The 'that doesn't happen in Gurps/Fantasy Hero line' doesn't really mean anything, as they are meta-systems and don't have any settings; you could easily have all the D&Disms if you wanted.

I think you miss the point here (and something that was previously addressed in my last post). Some people will want to play D&D in GURPs or Hero (I already said that), thats fine. Hero does not have, nor has its setting(s) ever had an over abundance of spell casters and yes, Hero has a setting. Soon, it will have two. GURPs probably has dozens. FHero games don't typically use a MPP for spells though I have seem many games that do it just so (Like I previously mentioned). Most require the purchase of individual spells like in the Western Shores setting or in the new Turkerian Age (sp). These things that I mention are not commonly found built into other systems (I think I said this also). They are not impossible. They are not even improbable but they are not part of a set of shared assumptions (I know I said this in the last post). Heck, until 5th Ed of Hero there really was no way to resurrect a character.

This is not about knocking D&D. It is about D&Disms. Things that are integrated into the game of D&D that you do not see integrated in other systems. Some of the D&Disms make playing D&D in low magic settings very difficult, if not impossible at upper levels. I tend to run into a whole caboodle of D&Disms since I typically run low magic settings like Birthright. Not all D&Disms do this though...Vancian Magic has little impact on a low magic game but it is still a D&Dism.

Nightfall said:
I'd have to agree with you there Trick.
[ADDED] That unique to D&D = D&Dism.[/ADDED]

I guess that would be the easy answer. Since nothing in D&D is original and it can be found or made somewhere else in human gaming or literature experience there really are no D&Disms. The term has no meaning. It is an elaborate joke :)

Not being 100% unique is not a critera for anything except for excluding everything. The elements of Fantasy are not unique to the genre so I suppose that fantasy really doesn't exsist either? There definately is nothing special about LotR or playing in Tolkienized worlds since we all know that Trolls, Elves, Dwarves, and Goblins exsisted long before J.R.R.T. BUT.....If that is the case why do we all understand it when I say that such and such setting has Tolkienized races? They aren't unique to Tolkien?

Good grief, Charlie Brown :)

I guess I should stop repeating myself.

Last edited:

shawnsse

First Post
fighter and magic-user (1st Ed.) -- you can't find these in dictionary. They are D&D specific.
saving throws -- original concept
armor class (AC)
hit point, hit dice
dice d4, d8, d10, d12, d20, d30, d100, d% (#d#+#, eg 2d4+2)
gold, silver, copper, brass, bronze dragon; red, blue, green, black, white dragon - concept not dragon perse
ability score (3-18) - strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution, charisma.
Prestige Class
THACO
BAB - Base Attack Bonus
Favored Enemy (this term is kinda oxymoron)
Back Stab (old edition), Sneak Attack.
Drow???
Undead???
Lich???
Dungeon Master
Monster Manual
Fiend Folio
Unearthed Arana

Orius

Legend
Bah, you guys forgot the ultimate D&Dism:

The human cleric, dwarf fighter, elf wizard, and halfling rogue all meet for the first time in a tavern, have a few ales, and decide for no particular reason to go adventuring together.

Remove ads