• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Need a little help with choosing a character for Pathfinder Society (don't worry, I have some guidelines within)

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Hey everybody.

I have played two games under the Pathfinder rules in my life. One was a PFS game.

Most of my gaming experience is 2nd Edition AD&D. I have some 5e experience, and a very small amount of 3e experience as well.

In my first PFS game, I was the tied with the lowest level character. I was playing a 1st level Magus, and the others at the table were a Monk (4), Sorcerer (2) and Wizard (1). Luckily, there was very little combat in this module.

There was a player who has a few 3-4 level characters at his disposal as well, who was unavailable that day.

I got along with the group, and I was invited back. I was also told that it would be a good idea, if possible, to attend other PFS sessions, to build up my character so the average level would go up and we could do some more challenging modules.

Anyway, now that my resume is complete, here's my issue(s):

I always want to play a character who has something to contribute. Even if the class is represented in my party already, I want to be able to contribute.

I want to play a character who has the ability to heal himself and others. Even if it were just through wands of CLW, I am concerned that there can be a session with no healers (the Monk and Sorcerer each had wands of CLW and wands of mage armor, even if they couldn't use them).

The ability to "tank" is nice.

The ability to contribute in combat is needed, even if it's just firing a missile. Full BAB isn't needed.

Social skills would be a boon, but aren't needed either (I noticed everybody, except the Sorcerer, had totally punted CHA).

The rules for this character: As long as you can find it in the SRD, the character is legal. I personally only own the CRB right now, but I have the cash to buy any additional rulebooks before my next session. We can pick two traits for our character.

Now, I don't need to have ALL of these qualities, but most would be nice.

I've narrowed it down to the following classes:

Paladin
Ranger
Cleric
Bard
Inquisitor
Oracle
Rogue

Please help me choose! Any other suggestions or ideas you might have are surely welcome!

Last edited:

Minsc

Explorer
If you want to fight, heal, and have social skills, be a Paladin.

Diplomacy is the best social skill IMHO, they have full BAB, and you can slap whatever armor you want on them.

WIS is your dump stat. You won't be a great healer, but you can certainly heal after combat with a wand.

Alternately, you could be a cleric and cast spells, but then you need to dump CHA or be terrible in combat. Either option crosses one of your wants off the list.

Just be careful of the douchey kids who play CN as an excuse to be CE. Unfortunately (fortunately?), PFS forbids inter-party violence.

Crucius

First Post
If you want to ignore the 'tank' part, Inquisitors are quite awesome. They're very fun to RP, and their combat abilities are quite excellent. Bodhi's Guide to the Inquisitor is quite useful to customize that a bit. They get spells, so they can heal themselves and others, and if you choose the Conversion Inquisition (Which replaces your domain), you use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Charisma modifier for Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate. Thus good social skills whilst maintaining a combat presence.

exile

First Post
I love rogues, and I am happy to see the class on your list; but it probably isn't the best class to meet your needs.

Like the others above, I agree that paladin, cleric, or inquisitor are all good choices for you. I think paladin may be your best bet.

Crucius

First Post
I love rogues, and I am happy to see the class on your list; but it probably isn't the best class to meet your needs.

I definitely agree. The rogue is very useful and sometimes integral, but what it is not is an HP or AC tank, and most definitely not a suitable healer.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I had a lot of help with this build.

Human Paladin of Shelyn.

Stat block 1: STR 18 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA 14 (Favored Class: additional HP)
Stat block 2: STR 16 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA 16 (Favored Class: additional HP)
Stat block 3: STR 18 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 7 WIS 9 CHA 14 (Favored Class: additional SP)
Stat block 4: STR 16 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 7 WIS 9 CHA 16 (Favored Class: additional SP)

Traits:
Eyes and Ears of the City (+1 Perception, Perception is a class skill)
Dangerously Curious (+1 Use Magic Device, UMD is a class skill)

Feats:
Combat Reflexes
Fey Foundling (heal an additional 2 points with any healing magic)

Skills:
UMD (max)
Perception (Max)
Diplomacy (max -2)
Craft or profession (artist) 1
Healing (1) MW Healers Kit

The idea of UMD is to buy wands of Shield, Mirror Image, and anything else to help stay alive. CLW wands don't require a check.

What do y'all think? Assuming you like the build, which stat-block is best?

What about feats? Should I choose Power Attack instead of Combat Reflexes? I could conceivably drop DEX to 12 and never worry about Combat Reflexes.

Voadam

Legend
I had a lot of help with this build.

Human Paladin of Shelyn.

Stat block 1: STR 18 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA 14 (Favored Class: additional HP)
Stat block 2: STR 16 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA 16 (Favored Class: additional HP)
Stat block 3: STR 18 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 7 WIS 9 CHA 14 (Favored Class: additional SP)
Stat block 4: STR 16 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 7 WIS 9 CHA 16 (Favored Class: additional SP)

Traits:
Eyes and Ears of the City (+1 Perception, Perception is a class skill)
Dangerously Curious (+1 Use Magic Device, UMD is a class skill)

Feats:
Combat Reflexes
Fey Foundling (heal an additional 2 points with any healing magic)

Skills:
UMD (max)
Perception (Max)
Diplomacy (max -2)
Craft or profession (artist) 1
Healing (1) MW Healers Kit

The idea of UMD is to buy wands of Shield, Mirror Image, and anything else to help stay alive. CLW wands don't require a check.

What do y'all think? Assuming you like the build, which stat-block is best?

What about feats? Should I choose Power Attack instead of Combat Reflexes? I could conceivably drop DEX to 12 and never worry about Combat Reflexes.

Are you going with a reach weapon? Combat reflexes is good even with a dump stat dex for the flat footed AoO if you plan on a reach weapon. Toughness is not a poor choice for the tank role and stands out most at first level.

For priorities of tanking and social skills I'd go with option 4. The extra social skill bump, save bonus, and paladin powers bonus in general is better than total strength focus for what you say you are looking for. The skill and hp come out the same as option 2 with only a -2 on int skills you probably won't be taking anyway and a +1 bonus on fort saves and the option to drop the bonus skill for hp if you want.

Minsc

Explorer
Yes, I'm going to use a reach weapon. Sorry, I meant to put that in the original post.

Yes, this character will be using a reach weapon. I looooove reach weapons, and while I know something like the Horsechopper is probably slightly better, the Glaive just works thematically because it's the favored weapon of Shelyn.

Remove ads