• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a name for BIG monsters

Psion

Adventurer
Re: Fun for everyone!

Skarp Hedin said:
Entertain your players:

Call them tarrasques.

My players already know that I hate Tarrasques with a passion that is only exceeded by how much I hate Kender, so that won't fly. :)

Squire James

First Post
When such monsters were presented in previous TSR products, they were called "Gargantua". I guess they decided not to use that name because (1) the Oriental Adventures materials just came out, and (2) it might be confused with the Gargantuan size rating. Personally, I think D&D players are intelligent enough to know the difference, especially since one term would be used in-character and other term would not.

Psion

Adventurer
Squire James said:
When such monsters were presented in previous TSR products, they were called "Gargantua". I guess they decided not to use that name because (1) the Oriental Adventures materials just came out, and (2) it might be confused with the Gargantuan size rating. Personally, I think D&D players are intelligent enough to know the difference, especially since one term would be used in-character and other term would not.

Not to turn this into a real thread, but the only such change that really vexed me war renaming the Arcane (from SJ and PS) as "Mercane." :rolleyes:

At any rate, no, I thought of Gargantua (owning the 1e OA) and immediately dismissed it.

Wolf72

Explorer
behemoth ... or put that into a word finder and see what kind of synonyms you get.

or come up with custom name brak'neer ...which in an ancient dialect of common means "gods' stinger"

... something like that.

Kestrel

Explorer
Gorgul is the first thing that came to my mind.

well, actually, Voltron was first, but I figured that would bring back 80's cartoon flashbacks.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
The Gargantua suggestion made me think of this:

Pantagruon, or something like that, from Pantagruel. Perhaps that's overly silly, I don't know.

In addition, I agree with you about the Tarrasque. I think that TSR really screwed up what could have been a much more interesting monster by over-exagerrating the myth. Well, the statue. A tarrasque should be more menacinig, rather than cartoonish.. but alas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads