• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a quick critique on two covers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zander

Explorer
Both covers are very impressive. The design on the Old School one sits too far down the page however. If possible, move the sword and words up. Also the fold of the satin in the top middle looks like an ear. :heh:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I would agree with a font change for the subtitle on the second cover. I first read it as: Buly Horror Behind Enemy Zines.

Also agree that for Old School, the title and sword should be higher.

I would also prefer that the sword edges be a little sharper.

DamionW

First Post
I personally would change the blade of the sword to look slightly more metallic. I imagine you're going for a purple magical aura on the sword, but it's a little too blurry right now. That's just IMHO.

Edit: I echo the need for a different font for pulp. I read it Buly also

I also couldn't tell whether your second book was titled "Schattenjager" or "Echattenjager."

That might not be worthy of complaint, however.*

Your gold text on the light blue background isn't really working for me, particularly where the folds in the satin (the lighter blue sections) have a tendency to wash out the detail on your calligraphy "S" in "School."

In images 2 and 3, we've lost the detail in the crest on the sword blade. It used to be an eagle, and now it's kind of a blurry purple shape. You've also just about lost the fuller on the blade, as well.

All in all, I'd say I like #1 the best - doubly so if you can fix the "S" issue I mentioned above.

EDIT, To add:

* - Other than that minor issue, I really, really like your second cover. It's black. It's red. It's probably got Nazi zombies. It communicates that extremely well and with extreme simplicity. Well done!

Turanil

First Post
Excellent work. I particularly like the second one. Concerning the blue cover I just want to remind you this : RVB colors are far better looking than CMJN colors, particularly for a many shades of blue and green. I can only guess both colors were done in RVB. Turn them into CMJN files (as you can only print CMJN), and you could have unpleasant surprises.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Image 1

"Old School" is properly placed to the left of and above the crosspiece, but consider:

1) Making the font larger and stacking the words Left Justified.

2) Moving "High Fantasy Roleplay" below the crosspiece, with a slightly larger font, and stacking them Left Justified.

3) Making the sword-blade more visible. I understand that your source image may have been bad, but a little patience with even an outdated art/graphic editing program (assuming it has a "magnify" feature) would let you add harder, brighter edges to the blade.

Image 2

The "S" HAS to be made clearer, and the "P" should be. I wouldn't exchange "Occult" for "Pulp" but might consider ADDING it. Still, as is, "Pulp" + "Horror" spells it out pretty well.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I also couldn't tell whether your second book was titled "Schattenjager" or "Echattenjager."

Schattenjager - it's the stylized "s" that throws some people off.

Other than that minor issue, I really, really like your second cover. It's black. It's red. It's probably got Nazi zombies. It communicates that extremely well and with extreme simplicity. Well done!

Thanks. Oh... and Nazi Lich Lords ;)

Last edited:

runtime

First Post
They look good! It's always inspiring to see people get creative and sharing their work. I just have a few suggestions:

1. I think the Old English font is VERY difficult to read (for both the big title and small subtitle text). I would consider using a lighter, less script-y font.

2. I think both pages are too centered. Asymmetrical layouts are more "active" and interesting to look at.

3. If you are going to do more page layouts inside your books, I would highly recommend the book "The Non-Designer's Design Book" ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321193857/ ). It looks a little cheesy, but it's very clear, informative, and pretty cheap ($13).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads