• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a sci fi game that's non d20

Okay folks. I have a problem. My players want something other than d20 fantasy to play. So I'm left trying to come up with something new and different to do for a while. I'm looking at doing some sci-fi, but everything I'm looking at is d20.

So the question is are there any decent systems supporting scifi that aren't d20 and are readily available at the FLGS? Please list the pros and cons of the system when you mention it if you can.

I've already been looking at the star hero system. Can anyone give any advice on that system as well?

Thanks!

hong

WotC's bitch
Blue Planet?

GURPS Space?

If all you want is something non-d20 and non-fantasy, how about any of White Wolf's games?

GURPS Traveller is probably the most readily availabe sci-fi game right now. Personally I prefer MegaTraveller myself, but that's been out of print for some time.

swrushing

First Post
I will toss in my suggestion for Traveller as well. There is the GURPs version out there and in the last few years someone has reprinted the original core books in double paged 8x14 landscape format that were very nice, albeit a bit pricey.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
GURPS Transhuman Space
Blue Planet
Fading Suns
Classic Traveller reprints

Decipher's Star Trek RPG
Alternity (currently OOP, but the ESDs are cheap and easy to find).

If you're after a "hard sci-fi" setting I'd suggest Transhuman Space, then Traveller or Blue Planet. Fading Suns has a cool "Dune" vibe.

Gospog

First Post
Deadlands Hell on Earth

TORG

Any Sci Fi flavor of GURPS

I'll second Spaceship 0

old WEG Star Wars

Metabarons

RIFTS, but be prepared to have 3 notebooks full of houserules (we did ;) )

Masterbook System (generic system)

Savage Worlds (generic system)

The Nearside Project

Wombat

First Post
I really like Blue Planet a lot.

I've heard great things about Transhuman Space, but I inherently dislike the GURPS system (personal prejudice only -- most other people love it to tears!).

Kesh

First Post
It depends on how much sci-fi you want. Pure Sci-Fi, you'll probably want some GURPS game (Traveller, Cyberpunk, etc.).

If you don't mind a little fantasy in your sci-fi, take a look at Shadowrun.

For some X-Files type games, run over to RPGnow and download the Alternity rulebook and Dark*Matter campaign setting. Or, pick up the Star*Drive setting for a space campaign.

Remove ads