Need advice: DMing for the first time in a looooong time

Gnome Berzerker

First Post
I'm going to be DMing for the first time in a long freakin' time next week.

I've decided to start the campaign at 2nd level, so the characters will be a little bit more powerful than they normally are when they start off.

I want to use a module, and I'm considering the Sunless Citadel (I had a lot of fun with it when I played though it, and no one in this group is familiar with it). Is the Sunless Citadel a good module for a new DM? Would I have any problems with it, and would a 2nd level party be a good level to go though it (there will be 4 players)? Is a 2nd level party too powerful?

With four players, should I provide an NPC
or is Meepo enough
? I'm pretty sure the party will have a Paladin, a Sorcerer, a Cleric, and a Barbarian. Can the party survive without a Rogue? This is where the NPC idea comes in. Should there be a Rogue there? Can
Meepo
be a decent Rogue, and stick with the party?

ON EDIT: Which books (besides PHB and DMG) should I allow in the game? This group doesn't have any powergamers in it, but I still want to avoid allowing anything unbalancing into the game.

Last edited:

Steverooo

First Post
Too many questions! (Aaaaggghhh!!!)

2nd level should be fine. I think the module's 1-3, IIRC.

When we played it, we had no Rogue, but did have a Ranger with Search maxed out, so the traps didn't get us. Those stick-men thingers almost did, though! The party needs a place to fall back to, although the Cleric will help (we had none).

Steverooo

First Post
Sunless Citadel

As I recall, many have objected that a Paladin in the SC, dealing with the Kobolds, might complicate matters. Depends on his goals, I guess. You know him best... Will it be a problem, for him? Killing all the Kobolds can be rough.

Books? Nah! Tell'em just the PHB, for this game. Get used to GMing, first!

Also, it helps to have the character sheets ahead of time, so you can look up all Feats and spells, so you're aware of what they can do. If you're merciful, you might also want to drop hints about the decrepitude of the castle, so they'll be looking out for "bad terrain", and might think about traps...

pogre

Legend
I just wanted to echo PHB only sentiments - especially for the first few sessions. If you want to run the whole WOTC adventure line, which despite its flaws can be a lot of fun - I suggest staying with the core books only.

Have fun.

KrolltheGreat

First Post
Yes, good game to start with. as mentioned before, 2nd lvl is fine, and, it takes away some of the obvious frustrations of starting at 1st lvl, which makes it a little more fun.

As for books, it's really up to you (and your players). If you all are already familar with any expansions or alternatives, go for it. If you are all kinda of fresh and/or new, then yes, for starters keep it simple.

Rogues, will make the traps easier to avoid, that is, assuming the luck of the roll ;-). If no rogue, perhaps an Elf with a high Search skill, or as previously mentioned, a ranger (oo, oo, an Elf Ranger with a high Search). There are probably multiple ways, even someone who can cast Detect Secret Doors/Snares/or Pits spell(s)...

Thanee

First Post
The core books are definitely sufficient. There's everything you need.

Having no search skills is bad, but that's life. If there is an NPC rogue doing all the work besides fighting and solving puzzles, that would be less fun, so I wouldn't do it.

Someone should have a decent Search skill and some Int to back it up. Finding the traps is the most important part... getting around them is a bit more difficult without a rogue, but can be done... furthers creative thinking, so to say! :)

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

mooby

First Post
As I suggested in another thread (http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63939), I think running the party through the Burning Plague (theres a link to it in the above thread) before the sunless citadel works out well. BP is easier that SC, and I think it's important for characters to work their way through the first level. It humbles them, makes them realize how lucky they are to be 2nd level ;)

BP will get them to the 2nd level, and everybody should make it through fairly easily. It's not a killer module, which SC can be, if the party opens that stone door. ;)

Chekc it out, it's a free download.

Oh yeah, and if your group isn't a min/max powergaming nightmare, the supplemental books shouldnt be a problem. I hated one aspect of an old group I was in: I had just spent all my money on getting the additional books, then they decided they didn't want them.

My point, in a roundabout way, is: if they have the books already, allow them. If they don't own the books, there's no problem banning them from your game.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Have you considered The Hamlet of Thumble? It is a 1st to 2nd-level adventure setting that includes a fully detailed hamlet, a short adventure, three new core classes, 60 new spells, 12 new magic items, rules on dreams/morale checks/improvised weapons, and even GM Tips. It even has a section for Starting a New Game.

The reviews as well as more detailed information can be found here:

http://www.enworld.org/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=WoW1THoT

kengar

First Post
Regarding NPCs, even if M isn't enough or an option (my players killed him on sight :rolleyes: ), don't forget ET. He can be a big help to a party.

Lela

First Post
kengar said:
Regarding NPCs, even if M isn't enough or an option (my players killed him on sight :rolleyes: ), don't forget ET. He can be a big help to a party.
He's also good with Phones. Especailly when calling home. :p

Sorry. . .

Remove ads