• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need critique for my combat system

Eltern

First Post
SpiralBound said:
Bump. Hey, Eltern! Did you notice? I've tested the bejeebus outa your combat system!

Hey! Sorry, I've been moving and packing the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to check the boards.

Well, it looks like that the system does, in fact, take longer than standard d20. The additional factors that are needed for resolving an attack really pile on the minutes. I wonder if at high levels the speeds would reverse, as a few lucky rolls could still give a 20th level fighter three wounds to the head. You don't need to burn through a bunch of hit points.

Now that my campaign is starting back up, I'll try this out, and let you guys know how I tweak it to increase speed. Do you have any suggestions in particular, SpiralBound?

As for the issue of differing weapon damage: While I'm not a martial artist, I have a few friends that are big into killing people. They do fencing, several different Asian fighting styles, historical European fighting styles, etc. And as they relate it to me, it is very, very easy to kill someone, let alone hurt them. It takes something on the order of one pound of pressure to break the skin, and if that's aimed at the right place a little bit of force can be deadly.

As I understand it, the driving force behind the differentiation of weapons in history was the development of armor. But at the basic level of hurting a plain old unarmored human, every weapon is basically equally effective. A dagger may be smaller than a greatsword, but it will still kill you with one or two well placed thrusts.

There are, of course, upper and lower thresholds. A noodle is not an effective weapon. At that point, you might as well be fighting unarmed. A rocket launcher is more effective than a pistol (depending on what range your target is at). However, within the standard scope of D&D weaponry, everything is about equal with each other. The great unequalizer is armor.

Now, that may all be bullhockey. As I said, I'm no expert. This is just how I've come to understand it.

SpiralBound

Explorer
Eltern said:
Hey! Sorry, I've been moving and packing the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to check the boards.

Ah! All is forgiven then! ;) I've moved many times and know what it's like....

Well, it looks like that the system does, in fact, take longer than standard d20. The additional factors that are needed for resolving an attack really pile on the minutes. I wonder if at high levels the speeds would reverse, as a few lucky rolls could still give a 20th level fighter three wounds to the head. You don't need to burn through a bunch of hit points.

Perhaps... Although, I'm not sure how positively your average player would react to their high level characters having a greater chance of being struck down by a small number of lucky blows. :)

Now that my campaign is starting back up, I'll try this out, and let you guys know how I tweak it to increase speed. Do you have any suggestions in particular, SpiralBound?

One way I can think of that may cut down on the time would be if your defence rating didn't include a defence roll. If it were more like AC in that it was a constant number, then you'd cut down on at least that amount of rolling and addition.

Really though, I suspect that the biggest time-consumers are the subtractions and those two charts. Subtracting the attack from the defence and then looking up the effects on one or sometimes two charts is a whole set of actions that simply don't have equivalents in the standard combat system. It's roughly equivalent in terms of added time and complexity to if every attack in standard d20 were a grapple or a turn undead check. If you simply remove all that though you risk removing most of what makes your system different in the first place...

As for the issue of differing weapon damage: While I'm not a martial artist, I have a few friends that are big into killing people. They do fencing, several different Asian fighting styles, historical European fighting styles, etc. And as they relate it to me, it is very, very easy to kill someone, let alone hurt them. It takes something on the order of one pound of pressure to break the skin, and if that's aimed at the right place a little bit of force can be deadly.

As I understand it, the driving force behind the differentiation of weapons in history was the development of armor. But at the basic level of hurting a plain old unarmored human, every weapon is basically equally effective. A dagger may be smaller than a greatsword, but it will still kill you with one or two well placed thrusts.

There are, of course, upper and lower thresholds. A noodle is not an effective weapon. At that point, you might as well be fighting unarmed. A rocket launcher is more effective than a pistol (depending on what range your target is at). However, within the standard scope of D&D weaponry, everything is about equal with each other. The great unequalizer is armor.

Now, that may all be bullhockey. As I said, I'm no expert. This is just how I've come to understand it.

You may very well be right from a realistic standpoint. I guess it depends on where your players prefer their gaming to lie along the "realism vs. cinematics" spectrum. That being said, even in a system that is heavily weighted towards the realism end I can still see a case to be made in favour of some weapons being more deadly than others.

In standard D&D there are several "concepts" that make up the entire attacker's action-damage combat mechanic. There's the concept of the innate ability of the character. This is usually the stats that the character has (str & dex mostly). Then there is the concept of the character's learned ability to use the weapon, which in D20 is mostly handled via feats. There is the concept of the weapon's innate ability to deal damage represented by differing die combinations per weapon. Lastly, there is the concept of "luck" or "random variation" delivered via the 1d20 attack roll. D20 applies varying levels of abstraction to each of these stages.

The character's innate ability is a flat spectrum of static bonuses applied to both the attack roll and sometimes the damage roll. The character's skill level is simply a collection of on-off switches - you either have or don't have the particular feat. The weapon's innate damage-dealing ability is part of the weapon and is a semi-randomized die roll. I say semi-randomized due to the fact that different weapons have deliberately different die roll values. And the luck factor is a purely random variation thrown on top of it all.

The presence, degree of abstraction, even method of representing each of these concepts doesn't necessarily have to match D20 though. They don't even all have to be present, nor are they the only concepts that could be included. For example, you could create a mechanic that represents the concept that, while all weapons have the potential to kill you, not all weapons have equal levels of ease with which a wielder can achieve the minimum success level required to perform this act of killing.

You can theoretically kill someone with a spoon or even a plastic drinking straw, however it is decidedly harder to kill someone in a combat situation using those "weapons" than it is using a 6 inch dagger, which itself requires more effort to effectively deal a death blow with than using a 40" sword, all of which are harder to use in combat than a pipe bomb or an Uzi! :D My point is that while being stabbed in the heart with a chopstick renders you just as dead as being stabbed in the heart with a rapier, I'm willing to bet that performing that combat action is significantly easier using the rapier!!! :lol:

I suspect that (in part) this aspect of the innate difference in weapons was what prompted RPG designers to assign different damage levels to different weapons. It wasn't that a death blow from a greataxe made you any more deceased than a death blow from a letter opener, but that having access to a 4 foot handle and 2.5 feet of shapened axe blade gave the wielder more likelyhood to perform said death blow than the 6-8 inch length of metal in the letteropener... In the right hands, perhaps a foam sword is as deadly as a katana? :confused:

AS for shields and throwing up your arms, what if you used method 2:
Eltern said:
1. As long as you roll over 10 on your defense roll, you may choose to throw up your arm to take a blow.
2. Calculate the spread without factoring in armor. If it's 10 or under, you can throw up an arm. Then calculate armor.
3. The defender rolls first. Based on their roll, they can choose whether or not to throw up an arm. Then the attacker rolls (I kind of like that one).
And had shields nulify damage to that arm maybe +6 for all. Maybe

Eltern

First Post
You make good points, SpiralBound. And while I agree with them, I still take issue with the plainly-presented idea that some weapons will kill you more easily than others. While it is true that 2 kilos of metal will hurt more than 1 kilo of metal, all things being equal, the fact is that in weapons "all things being equal" almost never occurs. If I were to fight someone one on one, with neither of us in armor, I would actually prefer they have a greatsword and I have a dagger. The reason for this is because the dagger is infinitely more maneuverable than the greatsword. If the greatsword misses its swing, it's game over for my opponent, as I will be free to stab him multiple times.

In standard d20, greatsword always beats a dagger, and that irritates me to no end. In fact, there is -no- good reason to fight with a dagger in standard 20 ever, unless you invest many feats or class abilities to increasing their power.

My point is that while weapons are not exactly created equal, their relationships are far, far more complex than d12>d4. In an attempt to "fix" this, I had the option to either greatly complicate weapon statistics, or recognize that anything that qualifies as a "weapon" is equally able to kill a person. That's why they are weapons, and not made of styrofoam :D

So, I could easily say that anything that doesn't fall within certain bounds of being a "weapon" gets a -5 to attack rolls. Alternatively, I could increase the complexity of weapons. One way I had for doing this was greatly increasing the functionality of reach. Under this system, reach would not be in 5' increments, but more like 1' increments. Weapon would only be able to attack at certain reach ranges, and increasing or decreasing the reach between yourself and an opponent would be an opposed roll.

As an example, a dagger might have a reach of 2, and a greatsword a reach of 4. As long as the dagger wielder is outside the greatsword wielder's reach, he doesn't have to worry. But, in order to get close enough to attack, he'll have to get past that greatsword (which would be a dangerous task). Once he's inside though, he's free to go stabbity all he wants, because the greatsword is useless at that close of a range.

Complex? Yeah. Too much for a roleplaying game? Probably. Realistic? Yup.

SpiralBound

Explorer
Your alternate reach system is interesting, ("Melee reach"?), I'm not sure how it would affect combat - it would require playtesting. Here are a few other ideas I've thought of for you to consider:

1) give weapons varying bonuses to initiative. As you said, a knife is faster than a broadsword.

2) give weapons varying bonuses to attack and defence bonuses (be sparing with this one though!)

3) I've been thinking about the whole "speed of use" versus "level of abstraction" issues within your system. I have an idea for something that could speed things up and increase the realism. You want a system that is more realistic and puts a higher degree of importance on the combatant's ability to defend as well as their skill level with the weapon rather than the weapon itself being the damage-determining factor. Ok. But then you added a "degree of success" component to your system that is purely random. Furthermore, this component not only determines how well you hit, but it ALSO grants additional wounds if you roll high enough. Since the default for succeeding in an attack roll is "one wound", then this is in effect granting the equivalent of extra attacks - attacks which don't even get defended against either. I believe that this may actually be a step away from realism and towards abstraction. How well one deals damage with a weapon is now a pair of opposed die rolls and a chart. This seems at odds with your intended style. Here's my suggestion to addrress this:

Rather than making your opposed attack rolls a degree of success with charts to determine results, make them a success or failure roll instead. Thus, the attacker determines his attack bonus the same as before, adds 1d20, and that's his attack. The defender also does the same with their defense bonus. If the attackers number is higher, then it was a success: one wound. If it defenders number was higher, then it was a failure: no wound. If you still want to allow for fumbles and such, grant these mechanics to rolling a 1 or a 20. Rolling a 1 for attack could be a fumble that allows the defender an AoO. Rolling a 20 for attack could grant an additional attack, or an additional wound. Rolling a 1 for defence could grant a guaranteed attack (basically, nullifying the defenders BDB and other defence bonuses), or it could give the attacker an extra wound or an AoO, or perhaps the defender falls down. Rolling a 20 for defence could mean that it totally nullified the attack (which could be really great against some secondary magical attacks) or perhaps it turns the attack damage back on the attacker, (which may end up being strange vs. an attack by a bow or other ranged attack...), or perhaps the defender gets an AoO (this seems unjustified, but maybe not).

Either way, making this change to the mechanics of how the attack roll and the defence roll are managed will do two things:
i) speed up combat. You've removed the need for addit/sub to determine the relative degree of succ/fail., plus removed a chart lookup.
ii) remove a purely random factor from the weapons' ability to grant damage. The extra wounds in the first chart really played havoc with the BAB in higher levels. It appeared to me that your system was using the same BAB progression per class rules as standard D20. If so, then this means that an 11th level fighter would have a BAB of 11/6/1, thereby having 3 attacks per round. PLUS, if he rolled high enough on a single die roll per attack, (and the defender rolls badly as well), those three attacks could end up becoming the equivalent of as many as 12 attacks! This seems to be giving too much power to a set of die rolls alone. The aspects of the characters' abilities to attack or defend get sidstepped in favour of a purely random and quite powerful (a much as x4 attacks) element.

Even if you don't use or agree with my ideas and thoughts above, I hope they are useful to you in imroving your system.

Someone

Adventurer
I agree with the former poster. Combat can be also be sped significantly by not making so many rolls. I´d advocate for leaving the defense roll as fixed, 11+modifiers, and only make the attacking roll; that alone will make combat much faster when the DM has to control many opponents. Also, forget the spread table, and instead go for increments; allow the attacker to deliberately choose a penalty to hit for the option to deal more damage. How much big the penalty is depends on the weapons "damage potential": how big, sharp and generally deadly it is; the more deadly, the lower the penalty.

Rothe

First Post
Eltern said:
My point is that while weapons are not exactly created equal, their relationships are far, far more complex than d12>d4. In an attempt to "fix" this, I had the option to either greatly complicate weapon statistics, or recognize that anything that qualifies as a "weapon" is equally able to kill a person. .....

So, I could easily say that anything that doesn't fall within certain bounds of being a "weapon" gets a -5 to attack rolls. ...

As an example, a dagger might have a reach of 2, and a greatsword a reach of 4. As long as the dagger wielder is outside the greatsword wielder's reach, he doesn't have to worry. But, in order to get close enough to attack, he'll have to get past that greatsword (which would be a dangerous task). Once he's inside though, he's free to go stabbity all he wants, because the greatsword is useless at that close of a range.

Complex? Yeah. Too much for a roleplaying game? Probably. Realistic? Yup.

Eltern, good ideas. Complex? No, not any more than D&D as is. You are just talking about modifiers to rolls to reflect these aspects and they can all be put in one abbreviated line for a weapon. One D&D complexity you do remove is the whole need for "touch AC."

Your ideas on "non-weapons" I agree with. What makes a tool different than a weapon? Well tools are often weighted different making them harder to use in combat. You could give a tool a minus to hit, make it slower to use, and/or a minus to defense.

On weapon reach, your description has an answer. Make the reach the negative modifier for close in attack. For example a reach x weapon attacks with no penalty at range=x-1, a -x penaly at range=x-2; and a -2x at range=x-3. etc. In your example a great sword has a reach of 4 and a dagger 2. Say close in fighting is range 1 (range 0 is wrestling). The great sword would then suffer a -(3x4) or -12 at this close range and the dagger nothing. If the opponents were wrestling the great sword wielder would suffer -16 and the dagger wielder -2 and a martial artist using bare hands no penalty. (All modifiers assuming using a d20, 5% increment curve).

The reach ideas can also be used in tight spaces, i.e., a 5' corridor may be a range 2 size space so using a dagger suffers no penalty but a greatsword suffers a -4. You may want to play with the numbers and steps, e.g., I might suggest bare hand reach 0, dagger reach 1, short sword reach 2, long sword reach 3, great sword reach 4, staff/ bec de corbin reach 5, and halberd, polearm reach 6. A backstab, city crowd or 3' corridor a size 1 space, a 5' corridor or fighting in tight formation (legionnaire style) a size 2 space, a 10x10 room a size 3 space, a 10' corridor a size 4 space, etc.

I've used this approach to reach for about 14 years, it works very well. Once players know the penalties they switch from their great sword outside to a shorter weapon when in the typical 5' corridor. Playes now have more than one weapon they use and consider useful. Daggers are still regulated to close in fighting or assassination, not a primary weapon but one to have handy. Great swords etc. are still useful outside or in big rooms but are not used in a typical corridor. The short sword now has a role supported by game mechanics, and the role it often found in history as well.

You can even use this to reflect real world tactical use of weapons. For example, the Romans choosing the gladius (short sword) to fight in formation without penalty and the phalanx (reach 5-6 weapons in a size 2 space) can be seen as having a penalty for attacks in anything other than attacks in the forward direction, hence the advantage of the legion over the phalanx on rough terrain but the advantage of the phalanx over other formations on even terrain where maneuver allows the phalanx to keep the enemy to its front.

Another differentiator is speed of use, which could be subsumed in reach as size usually correllates to speed of use. Faster weapons get more attacks so you can get more stabbity witha dagger.

Just some ideas. :)

Thanee

First Post
Isn't the defense roll too high? With two abilities added in, plus armor, you will have an easy time getting an advantage over the attacker, or not?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Eltern said:

I had used something like this for Shadowrun a while ago. Basically you had a distance between two melee combatants, and when the distance differs from the reach of the weapon, you get a penalty to attack relative to the difference (maybe if your reach is too high, there could be an additional penalty, like doubling the difference instead of applying it only once - this would make low reach weapons a little more attractive than they currently are).

You could maneuver to lower or increase the distance with some opposed roll. In D&D one could allow this maneuvering as a move action and make a feat, that turns it into a swift action. Depending on the outcome of these rolls, AoO could be provoked, i.e. if the defender (the one not making the maneuver) wins with a margin of 5+.

A weapon could even have multiple reach values and use the best in each case (depending on how many reach values there should be to make weapon reach different enough), and in some cases this would change the statistics of the weapon (i.e. that would make weapons useful, which have multiple ways to be wielded, like halberds, or swords with a hidden spike pointing down from their hilt).

Bye
Thanee

Eltern

First Post
Just checking, particularly to you, SpiralBound: Everyone realizes that the "wounds chart" is really just dividing the spread by 5, right? That is to say, 5 is one wound, 10 is two, 15 is three, etc.?

I ask, because I just realized I couldn't figure out how interpreting the spread was that intensive.

(More comments/ideas when I have more time later. I'm suprised people don't think the range mechanic would be too cumbersome)

Remove ads