• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need DM advice - please save my game

Rune

Once A Fool
I want to take it to the next level.

You're going to LARP in a nearby cave system?

Anyway, I'll echo the sentiments that Mearls' advice on this topic seems very bad to me. In my experience, if you try to put that much energy into each and every game, you'll quickly find that you're the only one putting that much energy into it.

Then you'll find that the players' lack of energy is absorbing the energy you put in quicker than you can replenish it. Then you might as well run it like your last game, because sooner or later (probably sooner), it will be!

It seems to me, you'd be better off getting the game to the point where the players are providing most of the energy. To that end, you may find the lessons in this thread to be of value.

Either way, good luck!

pemerton

Legend
I want to run a fun game with a coherent storyline, but whatever "creativity" or "improvising" I come up with at the table - whatever new idea catches my interest this week - almost always derails the game.

<snip>

I don't feel confident improvising on the fly with the basic plot of the game. My players are having fun, but I feel like what would make the game more fun for me would take away from their enjoyment.

<snip>

What is a reasonable limit or guideline for including fresh ideas every week?
It's a bit hard to answer without knowing what counts as a "new idea"/"fresh idea".

I don't think every session can have a PC-related reveal at the level of "Luke, I am your father!" That would tend to leave the players with too little traction on the identify of their PCs and their place in the gameworld.

But I tend to think that every session can have a situation-related twist/reveal at the level of "Lando sold us out to the empire": one salient aspect of the storyline has something about it that was not what the players (and perhaps the GM, if you're improvising) expected up until now.

In my own game, I tend to focus twists/reveals on NPC backstory/motivations (eg it turns out that A is connected to B in an unexpected way) and on opposing forces (eg there's an enemy we didn't expect!). I personally think it is better if these twists/reveals are linked to the PCs in some way (eg A is the cleric's friend and B is the chief immortal enemy of the cleric's god; the enemy is, or is in the service of, some important aspect of a PC's backstory), but I know some groups prefer to downplay those sorts of PC-oriented links in their games.

I would also strongly advise you to be open to the players introducing their own twists/reveals. For example, if they decide to bargain with or befriend some NPC or monster rather than fight it, you shold be open to that and see where it takes things.

Teacher Man

Explorer
Another way to make it more interesting is to add twists to a premade campaign. For example, I am running G1 (converted to 3.5) and I stationed 2 Ogre guards on the path just to see how they would handle it. To their credit they did a good job of ambushing them, although the wizard did waste a 15d6 cone of cold on 2 40 HP ogres. He'll wish he had saved that in room 11 where there are 22 100+hp Hill Giants waiting to go Ents vs Orcs on them... (Think Lord of the Rings)

After your next session send out an email to your group. It should consist of the following:

"1) What did you like?
2) What did you not like?
3) What would you do different?"

Alternatively, ask that at the beginning or ending of next session.

Rune

Once A Fool
After your next session send out an email to your group. It should consist of the following:

"1) What did you like?
2) What did you not like?
3) What would you do different?"

Alternatively, ask that at the beginning or ending of next session.

About a decade and a half ago, I used to ask my players to answer (in written form) three similar questions at the end of each session. Funniest response was one from my brother (the session the city the PCs were in was overrun by giant spiders):

"Oh my [censored for Eric's grandma] God! You're [same explicative previously censored] insane!"

Remove ads