• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help assigning a custom race an ECL

My player designed the race she wants her character to be, and I'm not especially good at figuring out ECLs and the like. They're basically half-fox, half-human (or something along those lines). The base stats for the race are the following:

+2 bonus to their balance, climb, and jump checks
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength

Originally the race also included the ability to move "Fly 80ft (average)" but I'm stripping this away as it adds needless complexity, IMHO. What could be something to replace the flying with? And what would the resulting ECL be, if the flying was replaced, or if it was only the bonuses listed above?

smootrk

First Post
As a 'half' canine race, you may wish to grant the Scent Feat.

I however do not see your CHA modifier, but then I have not seen your full description and it may be from 'flavor' of the race. An intelligence +1 might be more in line with the traditional thinking on Foxes as a race ( Sly as a Fox, Foxes Cunning Spell, etc.)

You may get more input with a full description of the proposed race.

Here's what I've been given as a description... its a little thin, but its what I've got so far on this:

Chirops (humanoid flying foxes)
“When’s a fox not a fox? When it’s a bat!”
Chirops are a race of strikingly cheerful and musical beings. To them, every moment of every day has a song, joke, or story that goes along with it. Commonly mistaken for lycanthropes or hengeyoki, Chirops are nevertheless an entirely different race. Some say that their lineage can be traced back to shapeshifting ancestors, while others say that they came from another plane. Regardless of their origin, Chirops long ago left the cities and plains of the civilized world in favor of a simpler existence out among the islands. Gradually, their culture caught up to that of the mainland, but there still exists among the population an appreciation of the simple pleasures in life. Farming and fishing make up most of their food sources, while the islands they live on are also plentiful in many other foodstuffs such as fruits and wild fowl. In mixed communities, Chirops, due to their light frames, tend towards more artisan work than farming or fighting.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Um, at one point in that paragraph you call them Formorterans or something.......? Anyway, without flight the race seems fine at LA +0. With flying, I'd say a strong LA +1, or weak LA +2. If you're allowing hengeyokai and stuff in your campaign, then LA +2 would be more fair for the Chirops (Crane and Sparrow Hengeyokai only get to fly well in animal form, and have poor flight in hybrid form, and yet that's about all they get for their LA +1; hengeyokai get shafted for their LA +1).

drag n fly

First Post
The race is actually my designed race. I thought being a flying fox (ie. bat) would be a cool PC, but there really were no existing creatures that fit what I had in mind. So, I created a whole new one :)

The whole description is a bit long, but I'll post it here anyway. Note: This is a bit edited from what Emperor Valerian posted, we played with the flying thing a bit. I pulled alot of these stats off of the shifter race to try to balance them out. Anyway, tell me what you think.

Fomorterans
“We may wear different faces, but our hearts beat the same rhythms”

Commonly mistaken for lycanthropes or hengeyoki, Fomorterans are nevertheless an entirely different race. Some say that their lineage can be traced back to shapeshifting ancestors, while others say that they came from another plane. Regardless of their origin, Formorterans long ago left the cities and plains of the civilized world in favor of a simpler existence out among the islands. Gradually, their culture caught up to that of the mainland, but there still exists among the population an appreciation of the simple pleasures in life.
Fomorterans are divided in several sub-species. Each is similar in that the lower halves of their bodies are humanoid in shape, while the upper body’s characteristics depend on the specific sub-species. Fomorterans cannot change their form, but they do retain some of their animalistic qualities.
Despite the mix of carnivore and herbivore species that the Fomorterans’ forms echo, all of the sub-species have learned to live together in peace. Farming and fishing make up most of their food sources, while the islands they live on are also plentiful in many other foodstuffs such as fruits and wild fowl.
Fomorterans’ classes range from farmer to fighter to sorcerer. Their skills have expanded in recent years as the younger generations head out into the world and return with new knowledge. The craft of gunsmithing was recently introduced, but most Fomorterans have not yet adopted this new technology.

• Fomorterans are medium sized creatures, have low-light vision, have a base land speed of 30 feet, and speak Common and Fomorteran
• Fomorterans receive a +2 bonus to their balance, climb, and jump checks due to their animalistic qualities
• Fomorterans stand between 4 and 6 feet tall, and weigh between 80 and 250 pounds. Their fur ranges across the spectrum, as does their eye color. Their average life span is 100 years. (These statistics vary depending on the sub-species)

Chirops (humanoid flying foxes)
“When’s a fox not a fox? When it’s a bat!”
Chirops are a race of strikingly cheerful and musical beings. To them, every moment of every day has a song, joke, or story that goes along with it. Because of their more delicate frames, Chirops tend to be craftsmen rather than farmers or fighters.

Physical: Average height – 5’5, Average weight – 130 lbs
Fur Color: shades of brown, black, white, beige, roan
Eye Color: Green, Black, Gold
Flying: 20ft (average)
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength

Lupians (humanoid wolves)
“Howl with the wind, sister”
Lupians are the main workforce of the Formorteran world. The tend to be the largest and the strongest of the sub-species, but are lacking a bit in the intelligence department. Nevertheless, Lupians are fiercely loyal, defending their communities and fellow Fomorterans with an unmatched savagery.

Physical: Average height – 6’, Average weight – 250 lbs
Fur Color: shades of brown, black, white, tan
Eye Color: Green, Blue, Yellow
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence

Zoolians (humanoid sea foxes)
“Why walk, when you can swim”
Zoolians are a mysterious race of aquatic foxes. Adorned with legs as well as a tail and dorsal fin similar to a whale’s, these Fomorterans disappeared many years ago, seeking lands of their own. Rumor has it that these beautiful but shy creatures now rule an underwater kingdom all their own.

Physical: Average height – 4’8’, Average weight – 120 lbs
Fur Color: Shades of Blues and greens. Occasionally red
Eye Color: Black
+2 Charisma, -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence

Catamounts (humanoid felines)
“Puurrrrrfect”
Catamounts are the most humanoid of their race, and as a result tend to be rather arrogant. They are not above hard-work, but prefer to lead rather than follow.

Physical: Average height – 5’10, Average weight – 130 lbs
Fur Color: depends on the species of cat (stripes, spots, solid, etc).
Eye Color: Green or Blue
+2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom

Rapteres (humanoid birds of prey)
“There was never a problem that a Raptere couldn’t solve”
The Rapteres are the brains of their communities. Using their far-seeing eyes and minds, they are in charge of the planning and executing of any need that arises.

Physical: Average height – 4’, Average weight – 90 lbs
Feather Color: depends on species of bird
Eye Color: Gold, Green, Black. Occasionally red
Flying: 30ft (average)
+2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution

Tiers (humanoid deer)
“Stride soft, breath deep, seek far”
A solitary sub-species, the Tiers tend to keep to themselves except for absolutely necessary contact with their fellow Formorterans. The least humanoid of their race, Tiers spend most of their time star-gazing and predicting the future. There is a saying that when a Tier cries, the end of the world is at hand.

Physical: Average height – 6’, average weight – 200 lbs
Fur Color: Shades of brown, white, roan
Eye Color: Black, Yellow
+2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads